One way trip Montreal to Boston - where to stay, where to fly?

We are planing on the one way cruise out of Montreal on the Maasdam.

Can anyone tell us if it is best to fly round trip into and out of one city (we have a day or two on either side) and will be flying out of Tampa or Orlando Florida. The drive time seems to be about 6 to 8 hours and looks like scenic roads.

Cost could be a factor. We have not yet checked to see what round trip rates are and if one way rates are appreciably higher, nor the rental car rates yet. But I would like to know what others have done and what worked out well.

Also, is there a nice hotel which is near the cruise docks in Montreal so we could return a rental car the night before the cruise departure? Is the cruise dock area in Montreal walkable with restaurants, or should we stay elsewhere:confused: ?

First of all, if you want to drive, you are going to run into an odd law that most people don't know about....

You are not allowed to rent a car to go over the border that is from the opposite country. In other words, Canadians cannot drive a rental car with US licence plates into Canada and US citizens cannot drive a rental car with Canadian licence plates into the US. If you plan to rent a car to go from one country to the other ensure that they will have a car that you will be allowed to drive over border available for you. There is a tire (tyre) tax that needs to be paid as well as insurance for both countries. The rental companies often have special vehicles just for this purpose.

The driving time from Montreal to Boston is about 6 hours.

Most Canadian airlines will sell one-way tickets from Florida to Canada at a reasonable price. Air Canada, West Jet as well as MOST large American carriers with the exception of United (which has never flown to Montreal as far as I know, but sells codeshares on Air Canada.)

Other possibilities are Allegiant Air which flies from Sanford to Plattsburgh, NY and Jet Blue and most other carriers which fly into Burlington, VT. The problem is getting from those airports to Montreal. Plattburgh has some car rental units but there is no fixed link other than to take a taxi to the Greyhound bus station and take the bus into Montreal. There are just four buses a day from Plattsburgh, 6AM, 3PM, 6PM and midnight. The bus is $20 one-way. Allegiant Air is the only airline that flies in and out Plattsburgh, NY from Florida and they do have some amazing fares... going as low as $19 o/w.

Burlington, VT has more airlines including Jet Blue as well as most major US airlines. Again, the problem is getting from there to Montreal. They have a number of car rental companies and some of the limo and taxi companies will take people to Montreal on prearrangement. The other option is Greyhound, you take a taxi to the bus station and then the bus from there to Montreal. They go at 4AM, 12:30PM, 3PM and 7PM. Fare runs $27.50 to $31.

Incidentally, I say Greyhound, but it can also be Adirondack or Vermont Transit, they are interchangeable for the most part.

Cape Air flies from Boston to Plattsurgh, NY three times a day for about $70 to $100 o/w. No airlines fly nonstop/direct from Boston to Burlington, VT. Burlington to Boston doesn't usually pay to fly, they are about 3.5 hours apart.

The dock in Montreal is right in Old Montreal, right close to everything in the city. The pier is at http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&q=Quai+King-Edward&near=Montreal,+QC&ie=UTF8&ll=45.504723,-73.551235&spn=0.015039,0.040169&z=15

For hotels, that is one of the most expensive locations in the city, so the next question is budget. The closest hotel is probably the Hotel Nelligan, which is also one of the nicest hotels in the city, but also one of the priciest as well. I think their cheapest room is $179 plus taxes. The location is excellent for the ship, but less convenient if you plan on using the metro extensively as it's quite a walk to the nearest station. A room in the downtown core might be more suitable and take a taxi to the port. Give me an idea of budget and hotel/B&B quality you are looking for as well as the requirements. B&Bs go from about $70 and up for a 3 sun and hotels go from about $80 for a 3 star, $110 for a 4 star and $175 for a 5 star. Taxes are 5% federal, 7.5% provincial and 3% tourism. Those are for hotels in the downtown/centre-sud area and only places that I would find acceptable myself.

Ephriam, Thanks for the above information. We too are planning a cruise out of Montreal and wish to stay in a hotel close to the pier for a few days pre cruise. Budget wise anything under $275 US would be OK. We are not going until July of 2009so i realize prices will not be definite but I like to plan ahead. Any suggestions? We want to be able to explore in depth this old port area and will not be planning any trips to other parts of Montreal. Mainly we want safe lodging which hopefully can provide a king bed (DH is 6'3") or 2 queens.

In that case, there is no better place imho than the Hotel Nelligan since price isn't a consideration.

If you don't like that, here's a link to the hotels in the area. http://maps.google.ca/maps?near=Quai+King-Edward,+Montreal,+QC&geocode=&q=Hotel&f=l&sll=45.505114,-73.552222&sspn=0.007519,0.020084&ie=UTF8&z=15

I run a B&B and the ratings in this province are standardized. B&Bs are rated by suns and Hotels are rated by stars. (My B&B is a 3 sun and compares with other 3 suns. The government sent an inspector who checked everything, down to the material used for the hangers and the ply of the napkins.)

So any hotel with a 5 star rating should be equivalent to others. The only one that I never recommend is the W because of it's location, it's in an odd location that I wouldn't want to have to walk at night because it's a commercial district with no nightime traffic (just ominous, not dangerous).

The Nelligan has an excellent reputation. The St-Sulpice, which is very close as well has an excellent reputation as well. The Springhil suites is run by an American chain (Mariott). The location isn't as good, but it also has a good reputation.

Thanks, Ephraim. Have you heard anything about Auberge du Vieux Port and Bonaparte Auberge? Even though we would be willing to pay up to US $275

(all taxes etc. included), I would like to keep the price below $225 if at all possible. Mainly we want a place that is safe and near all the old port places. We are also not opposed to a B&B if one is in the right location.

Ginger and the Prof,

I just got done planning this itinerary except we are starting in Boston and ending in Montreal. We leave on June 7, which is still shoulder season so the prices quoted may be a little cheaper than can be gotten in July.

First off, we are flying out of Cincinnati which is the most expensive city from which to fly and still got multi-city (open yaw - basically two one way fares) for about $450. We ended up using frequent flier miles but, in this age of sky high fuel prices, $450 is not too bad. The price was not appreciably higher than the round trip out of Boston.

Second, for your hotel, do not be afraid of Priceline or Hotwire. We used Priceline for both Boston and Montreal. For Boston, we snagged the Westin Copley Place for $120/nt for two nights. In Montreal, Le Centre Sheraton was purchased for $85/nt. Both are 4 star properties with fairly good reviews on tripadvisor. If you have never used Priceline or Hotwire, check out betterbidding.com.

Good luck!

Ginger and the Professor,

We are also doing Montreal to Boston. I purchased our air last fall when whispers about rising oil prices were being heard. We are flying Tampa to Montreal and then back from Boston. I was happy with our price but not so happy with our connections. We are flying in several days early so even if there are delays or (gasp) a lost bag everything should have caught up to us before sailaway.

SIL ended up purchasing 2 one way tickets and her price isn't that much more than mine and she was able to get nonstop Boston to Tampa for her return.

As to hotels, we are staying in old Montreal just because it looks neat. I did give Priceline a thought if I had decided to stay downtown. We are also staying extra days in Boston. I am looking forward to this cruise as all of the ports, with the exception of Boston, will be new to us.

Thanks, Ephraim. Have you heard anything about Auberge du Vieux Port and Bonaparte Auberge? Even though we would be willing to pay up to US $275

(all taxes etc. included), I would like to keep the price below $225 if at all possible. Mainly we want a place that is safe and near all the old port places. We are also not opposed to a B&B if one is in the right location.

I'd never heard of the Bonaparte, but the reviews seem to suggest it's okay. The Vieux Port is a 4 star while the Bonaparte is a 3 star. The star system in Quebec is government verified, so if the price is comparable, I would take the 4 star. Auberge, incidentally is the French word for Inn.

B&Bs are rating on the number of suns instead of stars. My B&B is a 3 sun, in fact the only thing that got a low ranking by us is our bathroom, which is shared and small (toilet, sink and shower and set up like the bathroom on a cruise ship). Price of course, varies greatly because it depends not just on class and private/shared bathroom, but also location. I'm in the Centre Sud (Latin Quarter/Village) area. I could certainly command a much higher rent in Old Montreal where a simple apartment can rent from anywhere between $950 a month and $8000 a month. (Yes, I said $8000 a month for a rental apartment). It's an expensive part of the city. (If you are interested in seeing what rents for $8000 a month, go to MLS.CA and put in listing number 1405578. Apartments sell for anything from $200K to 4.25M (listing 1387563 if you want to see what a 4.25M apartment looks like and it's only 3 bedrooms.)

Remember that we have 3 taxes in Quebec. GST (TPS in French) at 5% for the federal government. QST (TVQ in French) at 7.5% of the total including the GST. And tax on lodging which in Montreal is 3% of the total including both taxes. (The lodging tax is different in each region of Quebec). The 3% is exclusively on the room, not on any other charges in the hotel. Hotels generally don't quote all the taxes in their prices.

Incidentally, I drove by the old port on my way to Costco today and realized that I was wrong about which quay the cruise ships are using. They must be using Jetee Alexandra and not the Quai King-Edward, since the Quai King-Edward is actually the Science museum now. It's located at http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Alexandra+Pier&mrt=loc&sll=45.502301,-73.553483&sspn=0.002173,0.003862&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwloc=addr

Thanks, Ephrain. With all the additional tax it looks like one must add an additional %15+ so a $200 room would actually be about $235.

Your B&B sounds lovely. Too bad it is not in the Vieux Port area. Perhaps on our next visit.

At this point I am leaning toward Auberge Le Sans Soucy on St. Paul's, quite near the cruise terminal. It is too soon to book a July 2009 room but they will contact me next January when they open the 2009 summer season slots.

• 1 month later...

Ephraim, Greeting again! If the cost is roughly the same is there any significant difference in service, location, room/bath size, and overall comfort between Hotel Nelligan, Auberge Bonaparte, and Auberge Les Passants du Sans Saucy?

We will be taking this trip in October. We're flying from LAX into Burlington Vt., spending the night there, renting a car, and driving in the next day to Montreal. Even with the rental car, and motel in Burlington, it is still cheaper than flying into Montreal, and we get an extra vacation day!

We also booked a room for 2 nights at the Auberge du Vieux Port for a reasonable rate.

Ephraim, Greeting again! If the cost is roughly the same is there any significant difference in service, location, room/bath size, and overall comfort between Hotel Nelligan, Auberge Bonaparte, and Auberge Les Passants du Sans Saucy?

Basically, both the Nelligan and the Bonaparte are very well rated. The Sans Soucy is a 3 star instead of a 4 star. It's much smaller, meaning that it's more personal than either the Nelligan or the Bonaparte. But there are no B&Bs in the Old Montreal area (at least legally registered) because the maximum for a B&B is five rooms plus the owner must occupy themselves. (As I do for my B&B).

I would put it down this way... if you want a boutique hotel feel, then the Nelligan is for you. (Incidentally Nelligan was a famous Quebec author, if you are wondering where the name comes from). If you are looking for a hotel feeling, then I would say that the Bonaparte is your best choice. And if you are looking for the feel or a real Old Montreal home, staying in an authentic turn of the 18th century home that has been modernized but maintained, then stay at the San Soucy.

Nelligan - 4 star

Amenities

Air conditioning (105); Fireplace (60); Internet access : by modem (standard) (105); Internet access : high-speed (105); Internet access : wireless (105); Kitchenette (3); Mini fridge (105); Non-smoking units (105); Partially accessible for persons with physical disabilities; Private bathroom (105); Telephone (105); Television (105); Whirlpool (60)

Rates

Single occupancy: Maximum for the least expensive unit (495), Maximum for the most expensive unit (2000); Double occupancy: Maximum for the least expensive unit (495), Maximum for the most expensive unit (2000)

Bonaparte - 4 star

Amenities

Air conditioning (31); Internet access : high-speed (31); Internet access : wireless (31); Non-smoking units (31); Not accessible for persons with physical disabilities; Private bathroom (31); Telephone (31); Television (31); Whirlpool (15)

Rates

Single occupancy: Maximum for the least expensive unit (165), Maximum for the most expensive unit (355); Double occupancy: Maximum for the least expensive unit (165), Maximum for the most expensive unit (355)

San Soucy - 3 star

Amenities

Air conditioning (9); Fireplace (9); Internet access : high-speed (9); Internet access : wireless (9); Non-smoking units (9); Private bathroom (9); Telephone (9); Television (9); Whirlpool (9)

Rates

Single occupancy: Maximum for the least expensive unit (115), Maximum for the most expensive unit (190); Double occupancy: Maximum for the least expensive unit (115), Maximum for the most expensive unit (190)

Thank you ever so much, Ephraim what a wonderful summation. Now if I can just burden you one more time....what about the Auberge Vieux Port? I was just told you can also get a great rate there (almost the same as the others). It appears to be right on the water and seems to offer the same services. Is it closer to the cruise pier? safer? Can you still walk to all the restaurants etc.?

We just did the Montreal-Boston cruise, and we stayed at the Auberge Les Passants du Sans Soucy.

It was great! I like small personal places, and this was what we wanted. I think I might have felt LESS comfortable in a place with more stars even for the same price.

Pros: excellent omelettes for breakfast; very nice innkeepers; amazing location for sightseeing; our room (which was the only one I saw -- #101) was spacious, with two double beds; cost was less than for the other places I checked out in the port area (but still over $200/day plus tax), quiet at night, centrally air-conditioned and so was cool and comfortable without much A/C noise despite the humidity outside. Great restaurants on the street and around every corner. ATM at the convenience store two doors down. We were so close to the port that we walked to the dock with all our luggage on embarkation day. Taking a taxi might have taken longer than walking. Oh -- free and fast wireless Internet service in our room.

Cons: the view from our room was of an empty building across the street that they're going to be renovating someday, I assume, and there wasn't as much light in through the windows as I might have wanted. But that was really minor (and may have helped keep it quiet at night).

We would definitely stay there again if we were taking another cruise. (If we were just visiting Montreal and NOT going on a cruise, I'd probably find somewhere much less expensive in a different part of the city.)

Thank you ever so much, Ephraim what a wonderful summation. Now if I can just burden you one more time....what about the Auberge Vieux Port? I was just told you can also get a great rate there (almost the same as the others). It appears to be right on the water and seems to offer the same services. Is it closer to the cruise pier? safer? Can you still walk to all the restaurants etc.?

Montreal is quite a safe city, day or night. The Auberge du Vieux Port is right on de la Commune East, right near the port. It's the busiest street in old Montreal, right in front of the Science museum and quite close to the caleches (ie the horse and carriages). Which is something you may want to consider.

Auberge du Vieux Port - 4 Star

Amenities

Air conditioning (27); Desk (27); Hairdryer (27); Hypoallergenic bedding (27); Internet access : by modem (standard) (27); Iron and ironing board (27); Kitchen; Minibar (27); Non-smoking units (27); Partially accessible for persons with physical disabilities; Private bathroom (27); Telephone (27); Television (27); Whirlpool (22)

Rates

Single occupancy: Maximum for the least expensive unit (205), Maximum for the most expensive unit (295); Double occupancy: Maximum for the least expensive unit (205), Maximum for the most expensive unit (295)

I want to mention that you should ALWAYS read the reviews on trip advisor. There is a warning about being sent to the "lofts" from several people.

As I mentioned, we run a B&B and sold ours. We had put an offer on another B&B and after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor knew that we didn't want the name nor the reputation of that B&B. And then we sent the building inspector in... needless to say after negotiations broke down, we walked away. We have now purchased a home close to Square St-Louis and the Sherbrooke metro station.

What some visitors don't always understand is how expensive the real estate of Old Montreal is and therefore the hotel rates as well. A 650 sq foot loft is selling for almost $200K and has taxes of $2K a year and condo fees of $1.3K. Assuming a 25 year mortgage (the norm in Canada), the annual cost is about $17K. That's $46 a day, before you have even accounting for things like heating, cleaning and other expenses. Also, Montreal tourist industry is seasonal. So, don't be shocked at the cost for staying in Old Montreal.

Thanks, Ephraim. After reading your posts and looking at the reviews I have decided that hotel Nelligan is the one for us. We got a terrific rate @ $190/day before taxes. Our second place was San Soucy but being in our 70's makes climbing 2 flights and negotiating a bath tub difficult. Hopefully we will get a room in the newer section at hotel Nelligan and will have a shower stall.

Our second place was San Soucy but being in our 70's makes climbing 2 flights and negotiating a bath tub difficult. Hopefully we will get a room in the newer section at hotel Nelligan and will have a shower stall.

Good luck! Let us know how you like it. We passed the Nelligan a lot while walking around -- it was just down the street from us.

Yes, I hadn't mentioned the stairs since for us it wasn't an issue. And the innkeepers brought up our very heavy luggage for us.

If you need a hotel with an elevator, ensure that they do have one. Most of the buildings in Old Montreal certainly predate elevators. Most of them predate plumbing. In fact, my current house predated plumbing. It's easy to see that a room was converted to make room for a bathroom.

Our new B&B won't have an elevator either. It's an unusual feature for anything but large hotels and office buildings or those buildings that have been retrofitted.

Archived