New to Scuba: Mask Question

sslkrissi

Hello,

I am in the process of doing my PADI Open Water Certification Course and have just bought my mask, fins, snorkle and wetsuit. I am wondering which is better, a mask with two lenses or one lense? At first, I purchased one with two lenses, but then returned it for one with one lense that felt better on my face. Now, after talking to a few people, I have been told that the masks with two lenses are better b/c they are easier to clear and fog less.... any truth to this???

P.S. Here's a link to the masks. The one on top is the one that I ended up with, while the bottom one is the one I returned: http://www.seadiveinc.com/X-FreePS.htm

It really doesn't matter one lense over two it is a personal prefrence. The most important part is that it fits well and feels comfortable. Nothing can make a dive less enjoyable than not having a good fitting mask. If your mask fits well and has one lense stick with it. I have had both and I don't have fogging issues as I use either defog or baby shampoo, either will provide you a clear dive. Hope that helps!

I have used both one lens and two lens masks--could not tell mcuh difference. I always buy a mask with a built in purge valve--so easy to clear.I use 500 PSI defog--great suff-- espescially when your are going from 90 degrees on the boat ramp to the 52 degree chill of the underwater forrest in Lake Jocassee,SC !

Here's why a two lens mask MAY be better than a single lens unit. I wear glasses above the water. I have diopter corrective lenses in my mask. These lenses allow me to see clearly before and after entering the water.

For a two lens mask the diopter corrective lenses aren't terribly expensive ranging in price from roughly $25 to $40 per lens depending on the manufacturer of the mask and the shape of the lenses. One can get a custom ground prescription single lens mask but the cost is significantly higher.

The War Department (aka Mrs. B) doesn't need glasses consequently her mask is a single lens type but not because she doesn't need glasses. She found a mask that fit her and was comfortable. As other posters have pointed out, the MOST significant thing is to use a mask that is comfortable and fits your face. If it fits and it's comfortable it really doesn't matter whether the mask is a one lens, two lens or four lens mask.

Hope this is helpful. Dive safely and enjoy that next dive.

By all means, get the one you're most comfortable with. The dive shop I took my lessons through let me try out all the masks I wanted when I was in the pool. I tried them all, I think. LOL 2 lens, single lens, high volume, low volume, nose purge, without nose purge, with every combination of the above they had. I was then able to pick the one I was most comfortable with. The one I picked was a 2 lens, low volume, with a nose purge. I just got back from my first ocean dives with it, and it was great! See if they'll let you try out a few.

Archived