AA joins other airlines charging for 2nd bag !

p0mpey

We are flying AirTran and just found out that a charge of $10.00 will be charged for a second bag. This is after we are on the ship. I think it said May 15 and we leave May 11. That will be one of my questions to them when I call on May 8th, if we will have to pay the extra $10.00? We all have been paid in full since Feb.

It looks like all the airlines are going to start to charge for the second checked bag.

Darlene

I read someplace, sorry I don't have a link; that some airline has come up with the bright idea to charge extra for window or aisle seats on some trips. Again, blaming high fuel prices. Go figure. I suspect they will start charging for carry on bags before to long.

What can we do besides not fly to our destinations? We are looking now at West Coast departures and no more flights to the East coast.

I'm lucky because I don't have to pay $$ for a 2nd bag because I travel for a living.

HOWEVER, I would rather pay $25 for one extra bag (note, none of them are restricting the size of the 2nd bag) than pay an extra $100 or more on an airline ticket.

All the airlines are going to be charging more and giving less, just watch. It's not any different in any other sector. Not that I eat fast food all the time but have you seen the size of an Egg McMuffin lately? And charging 2x the price? They had a segment on GMA or Today or some morning show about how EVERYONE is scaling back hoping we don't notice and either keeping prices the same or increasing them.

If the GREEDY oil companies would be fair to all who use their products and lower prices (did you see they are posting record profits?) none of this would be an issue.

Just my personal opinion, here.

Debra

So...if we bought our tickets way before May 12, but are flying WAY after (Oct/Nov), what do we need to show to make sure we're not charged the extra $25?

Guess I'm glad we'll be Platinum on our next cruise and get the free wash and fold laundry service. We may have to use that so as not to bring an extra bag. :D

This burns me up:mad: . I'm slim and to pay extra for 2nd bag is not fair when there are people traveling that weigh more than me plus my 2 bags! The only fair way is to weight the passenger and bags, then charge as needed if over a certain weight.

This burns me up:mad: . I'm slim and to pay extra for 2nd bag is not fair when there are people traveling that weigh more than me plus my 2 bags! The only fair way is to weight the passenger and bags, then charge as needed if over a certain weight.

Sorry, but I'm one of those who probably weighs as much as you and your two bags. Whether you like fat people or not, to ask them to pay PER POUND as you say is discriminatory and is offensive.

That's like asking Muslims to pay more because they are muslims, or African Americans to pay more because they are African American or whatever. They have to set a rule across the board.

Sheesh.

Yes, that was a liitle harsh. What people weigh shouldn't justfy them being charged more to fly or cruise.

Charging for a second bag is just one way to help pay these terrible fuel prices.

I am grateful that I can cruise. Paying a little extra won't break me.:p

Darlene

hang in there.

So...if we bought our tickets way before May 12, but are flying WAY after (Oct/Nov), what do we need to show to make sure we're not charged the extra $25?

Guess I'm glad we'll be Platinum on our next cruise and get the free wash and fold laundry service. We may have to use that so as not to bring an extra bag. :D

I received e-tickets so there is a date on the email from my airline. I'm sure they have it in their system when you bought your ticket.

Sorry, but I'm one of those who probably weighs as much as you and your two bags. Whether you like fat people or not, to ask them to pay PER POUND as you say is discriminatory and is offensive.

That's like asking Muslims to pay more because they are muslims, or African Americans to pay more because they are African American or whatever. They have to set a rule across the board.

Sheesh.

I am not particularly slim by any means but I cant compare this to Muslims or African Americans in any way.... :confused:

If we are talking weight, the poster has a legitimate argument. If it is truly a weight issue, Is it really fair she pay the same as the 260lb guy next to her that brought 100lbs of luggage if she weighs only 105lbs plus 2 bags that weigh a total of 60 lbs? I think not, but its only my opinion. I think we should all pay for the service that we receive as individuals.

I read someplace, sorry I don't have a link; that some airline has come up with the bright idea to charge extra for window or aisle seats on some trips. Again, blaming high fuel prices. Go figure. I suspect they will start charging for carry on bags before to long.

What can we do besides not fly to our destinations? We are looking now at West Coast departures and no more flights to the East coast.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/TravelForLess/10SneakyAirlineFees.aspx

Sheesh.

I never said I did not like fat people...it's a weight issue we're talking about. Sorry if I offended you. If the airlines are that concerned about weight then the rules need to be fair and take into account the weight of the total sum (person and luggage). I totally disagree with your statement of charging one religion or race more...this is about weight and there are no divisions in regard to race or religion.

Archived