Venice on a Sunday?

I will be arriving in Venice at about noon on a Sunday and staying overnight before boarding the next day. It just occurred to me that there may be things I was thinking of doing/seeing in Venice that may not be open on Sundays. Can anyone tell me if things like St. Mark's, Doge's Palace, Peggy Guggenheim Museum, as well as stores and restaurants are all open on Sundays, or will some of them be closed? Maybe I will just have to ride the vaporettas up and down the Grand Canal all day...:eek:

Also, while I am here, I will be on my own on the first day prior to joining the ship. Is it safe for me (a middle-aged female) to wander around Venice on my own? What about after dark? What, if anything should I avoid?

Bonnie

Venice is extremely safe. As for walking around at night- don't fret, you'll be fine. I am "middle aged" and have been in Venice many times on my own and have not encountered any problems. Safer than the US-that's for sure.

Anyway, as for Sundays. The only thing that will be closed on Sundays are the pharmacies. There is only one open in Venice to my knowledge. I found it by asking the people at the Bauer hotel. So just remember not to wait until you get to Venice to make last minute purchases- like toiletries.

Museums, shops and restaurants will all be open. It is tourist season.

Archived