Amsterdam/Holland - Where in the World?

sail7seas

Good Morning America's Matt Lauer is doing his yearly jaunt around the world and today has him in Amsterdam, Holland. A great preview for those going to Eurodam and Rotterdam this summer.....get a peek at that fabulous city through the eyes of Matt.

We loved our trips to Holland and his travelogue is fun to watch.

I just received an e-mail from Jim Hannah telling me about this.

A pity I cannot see that show on TV, would like to see what he reports about and what he thinks about Amsterdam and vicinity.

If he still is here tomorrow, he will be in shock......

It is Queens birthday, national holiday, and really thousands will come to Amsterdam (tonight first celebrations start already). Streets and trains will be very crowded. The city will be one big marketplace (great chance to sell the stuff from your attic), many concerts etc.

Also people will bring friends on their own small boat and sail the canals. Traffic in the canals can come to a stop because of that.

Thursday happens to be another holiday, it is Ascension day (?). This is also celebrated in Germany, Belgium etc.,Many people will take off Friday and come for a long weekend. Not just to Amsterdam, but also to the tulipfields that are beautiful at the moment.

(I have some photos online on:

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/Inevd/Flowerfields%202008/

Matt Lauer must get a crazy impression of Amsterdam....

Goeie morgen Ine and enjoy Koninginnendag tomorrow;) Will e-mail you later on today, still finnishing up travel and days in Holland before and after the cruise. Looking forward to it and being tablemates with you and Ton on Eurodam!

Enjoy your upcoming time in PV with your daughters and Duncan! Mum and both daughters in Mexico - watch out, shopping time galore!;)

Take care and be safe!

Goeie morgen Ine and enjoy Koninginnendag tomorrow;) Will e-mail you later on today, still finnishing up travel and days in Holland before and after the cruise. Looking forward to it and being tablemates with you and Ton on Eurodam!

Enjoy your upcoming time in PV with your daughters and Duncan! Mum and both daughters in Mexico - watch out, shopping time galore!;)

Take care and be safe!

Thanks John, hope to see that e-mail.

Tomorrow the Queen will visit Friesland...MAKKUM (of all places.)

Remember we took you there, see we know where to take people.

:) :) :)

I caught just the last few Today Show segments done from Amsterdam this morning and enjoyed them immensely. Weren't those orange pants Matt wore rather striking? Hee hee.

And I was surprised to hear that Mrs. Matt Lauer hails from the Netherlands. I didn't know that.

Amsterdam was a stop on a cruise we took several summers ago. I remember it fondly.

Ine....

Matt talked about tomorrow being Queen's Day and described about the shopping stands and partying that will occur. :) I think the tv network probably carefully planned they would do their show today and move on for the next location.

Matt Lauer does this "Where in the World is Matt" every year and he gives a daily clue as to where he will be the next day. They only stay in each location for one day's show and are gone. It goes Monday to Friday and then he and his crew return home.

He always collects gifts for his co-hosts on the show that are reflective of the location. Today he gave a Delft flower vase, a ladies small antique coin purse and a wind-proof umbrella for the 'weatherman' on the show. Lovely gifts all.

He showed the tulip fields in bloom, showed the beautiful canals and rode down one, Anne Frank house, a small piece about the new situation in Holland where newcomers are not assimilating as previously, spoke of the coffee shops and red light district, pricey houseboats on the canals and other bits and pieces. He does small presentations throughtout the morning show.

Ine....

Matt talked about tomorrow being Queen's Day and described about the shopping stands and partying that will occur. :) I think the tv network probably carefully planned they would do their show today and move on for the next location.

Matt Lauer does this "Where in the World is Matt" every year and he gives a daily clue as to where he will be the next day. They only stay in each location for one day's show and are gone. It goes Monday to Friday and then he and his crew return home.

He always collects gifts for his co-hosts on the show that are reflective of the location. Today he gave a Delft flower vase, a ladies small antique coin purse and a wind-proof umbrella for the 'weatherman' on the show. Lovely gifts all.

He showed the tulip fields in bloom, showed the beautiful canals and rode down one, Anne Frank house, a small piece about the new situation in Holland where newcomers are not assimilating as previously, spoke of the coffee shops and red light district, pricey houseboats on the canals and other bits and pieces. He does small presentations throughtout the morning show.

Thanks for telling this, must have been fun to watch.

John, also thanks to you for giving that link. I will certainly watch it.

We watched the Today show this morning and really enjoyed the segments on the Netherlands.

The segment also featured the Delta Works, Keukenhof Gardens, Gouda, Leiden and Delft. The Delft portion, specially brought back wonderful memories of Ine, as she advised us of the potentially great bargains available at the Royal Delft factory store, something that DW, Virginia, found very satisfying! We thought about you, Ine, during the entire segment!

Amsterdam is such a wonderful city and the Netherlands is one of our favorite countries. We are looking forward to visiting again in July!

I thought it was a wonderful program and that Matt did justice to Amsterdam and all that region.

The part explaining the windmills and reclaiming of land was very interesting too. I will always remember a visit to the Netherlands when we took a bike ride to the beach - and it was uphill! Very strange.

It is so sad when you think about what they have accomplished in the Netherlands and what happened in New Orleans (and is still not fixed propely.)

I was thinking the same thing, Peter. I remember hearing that officials in New Orleans had consulted with the experts from Holland on how New Orleans could be protected. From what I recall, the engineers involved suggested methods but New Orleans never proceeded to follow those suggestions. We all know the results of that decision.

You know I have to post on this thread.:p

My favorite city! Full of magic and intrigue, and the people are so friendly.:) I was there in February and practically fell in love in an encounter in Dam Square.:o And, of course, the freedom to open the “doors of perception”.;) I’m going back this October, can’t wait.:D

I saw a bit of the program, thanks for the thread sail…..

Mark…

Just returned home from my own "Koninginnedag", (happens also to be the birthday of my daughter), it is a pleasure to see to many nice reactions on this broadcast about Amsterdam and NL.

Thanks to the link John posted I have seen much of it before we left home.

As Bill S. posted - a visit to Delft is a must if time available - and yes sometimes Porceleyne Fles has some great seconds (B-choice we call it), worth to check if you like Delft Blue.

Amsterdam and surroundings have a lot to offer, not just RLD or "coffeeshops".....

In case you want to see more how windmills (or modern mills) keep the land dry, an interesting Museum is Cruquius - at Heemstede, not too far from the airport. It shows what would happen it those windmills wouldnot work.

Like our friend Bill in New York also alwayssays..what to without dikes...

Thanks so much for the link. We really enjoyed our four day stay in Amsterdam and the surrounding area after a GCT river cruise in October. My favorite picture from the trip was the one of the windmills at Zaanse Schans:

Oh, yes, just outside Zaandam. :)

Glad people got to see the TV show via the Internet.

Too bad Ajax doesn't;) Heard those boys from Eindhoven are gonna take it all again this year

John, I honestly could give a flying $%#$^ about soccer, unfortunately there is a ridiculous amount of coverage on dutch tv these days:eek: . Now the clubs are even starting a new tv channel just for the matches.:mad:

I wish they would spend a 10th of the time on golf, then i would be a happy camper already.....:cool:

John, I honestly could give a flying $%#$^ about soccer, unfortunately there is a ridiculous amount of coverage on dutch tv these days:eek: . Now the clubs are even starting a new tv channel just for the matches.:mad:

I wish they would spend a 10th of the time on golf, then i would be a happy camper already.....:cool:

Copy that! But having grown up with soccer in A'dam, I miss a good Ajax-Feyenoord game on a Sunday afternoon. Watching the LA Galaxy play Chivaz doesn't quite do it!

I heard golf got popular in Holland. When I left I don't think there were many courses to be found, execpt on Vlb Soesterberg with the American Sqn;)

Archived