What is Dover Cruise Terminal really like?

SallyUK

Am leaving on first cruise from Dover on 5th May (Jewel Baltics).

Have sailed out of Southampton before but not Dover. Having looked up cruise terminal 2 on the internet it looks a bit like a - how can I best describe it - ah yes, shed....

As its a bank holiday Monday am tempted to leave early and get to port before boarding starts (have to travel round northern section of M25 and over Dartford bridge so plenty of opportunity for snarl ups), but it all depends on what the terminal is like. Don't want to miss the ship, but don't want to spend three hours in a shed with no facilities either.

Thanks everyone!

There are two terminals that cruise lines use in Dover....

Terminal 1 - Crystal Cruises

Fred Olsen

Holland America Line

MSC Cruises

Oceania Cruises

Saga Shipping

Swan Hellenic

Transocean

Terminal 2 - Carnival Cruise Line

Celebrity Cruises

Costa Cruises

MSC Cruises

Norwegian Cruise Line

Princess Cruises

Swan Hellenic

There is not much in either terminal other than check-in facilities, some places to sit, restrooms and currency exchanges. There is no provision for left luggage.

However, it is totally inside should the weather not cooperate.

As many have said, "I've seen much worse!"

You could always have a look around the De Bradelei Wharf shopping outlet that is more or less next to the cruise terminal. They have a cafe where you can get a drink and of course toilets.

At the end of the shopping outlet is Cullens Yard - pub/restaurant which has good food.

Sue G

Thanks so much to everyone for confirming my shed concerns - though at least its got a roof, so no rain (thanks Ricky). But Sue, you've managed to incorporate my two favourite words "shopping" and "outlet" into a single sentence :D. Very enticing! Looks like I'm set to go! Best I pack an umbrella and set out for a walk around.

Sally

Remember not to spend to much. I just thought it would be something to do and as I say it is next to the cruise terminal but of course there is a walk involved unless you go into the outlet first - there is a large car park.

We did the baltic two years ago on the Dream and really enjoyed it. Sailing on the Jade 30th May to the Med.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Sue G

You could always have a look around the De Bradelei Wharf shopping outlet that is more or less next to the cruise terminal. They have a cafe where you can get a drink and of course toilets.

At the end of the shopping outlet is Cullens Yard - pub/restaurant which has good food.

Sue G

This is good to know in case we find we have forgotten to pack something and need to pick it up before we sail.

Does anyone know if you can board your ship and then get back off to visit the shops for last minutes purchases before sailing?

Not sure how much shopping I'll do here:

DE BRADELEI WHARF

Cambridge Road

Dover CT17 9BY

Tel: 01304 226616

Fax: 01304 226636

E-mail: clund@debradelei.co.uk (Head Office)

Anne Wallwork (Marketing)

De Bradelei Wharf - Kent's leading Designer Outlet is situated in a superb maritime setting in the shadow of the famous White Cliffs and Dover Castle. The store sells leading High Street and Designer

Fashions, Lingerie, Shoes, Menswear, Outdoor Wear, Top Label China and Glass, Soft Furnishings, Gifts and a Bookshop – all with up to 70% discount.

Their Waves Coffee Shop serves delicious home cooked food throughout the day.

Opening Hours: Mon - Fri 9.30am - 5.30pm

Sat 9.30am - 6.00pm

Sun 10.30 am - 4.30pm

----------------------

I have considered Cullins and may again:

http://cullinsyard.co.uk/

Glad to hear a recommendation.

It's like a shed but bigger

I found it charming, in a Victorian sort of way, with many places to sit, a small shop for coffee and ample restrooms. It seems light and airy and unlike most of the usual port buildings I have been through. The security for luggage screening was quite lengthy.

Archived