Connection time at ORD/Chicago

Retired 07

I am making reservations to fly to Burlington Vt. from Los Angeles in Oct. (then renting a car to get to Montreal for our cruise) There is a United flight from LAX to ORD then on to BVT. I have never flown into Chicago before--Assuming the flight is on time-(I know---big assumption), is 1 hour enough time to make the connection? I have another option where I would have a 3 hr layover.

1 hour might be cutting it close. By the time you get off the plane (this could take a bit if you're in the back of a full 767 or 757) and make your walk to the connecting gate, there isn't much time for any types of delays.

A 3 hour layover would surely make the transfer much less stressful and you can take your time and not have to worry if there is a delay of any sort on your LAX-ORD flight.

Personally I would go for the 1 hour connection, but that is just me. I know that my parents would go for the 3 hour connection for the reasons listed above.

A few of the ORD/BTV flights are operated by United and depart from terminal 1, which is where you will arrive from California. The remaining flights are operated by United's regional jet affiliates, and some of them depart terminal 1 while others depart terminal 2.

Your chances of making the 1-hour connection will improve greatly if you are able to book the ORD/BTV segment on a flight out of terminal 1.

You might explore the maps on the Department of Aviation website http://www.flychicago.com/ to get a feel for the lay of the land.

Thank you both for the info--We'll probably go with the 3 hr layover. That will take ALL the stress away, and give us time to get some lunch at the airport,(any suggestions?) since I'm sure they won't feed us on the plane. It looks like ORD has it all over LAX as far as food places.

There was another option with a 3 hr layover at Dulles, but the flight leaves LAX at 6 am, as opposed to 7 am for the flight to ORD.

By the way, does $160 p/p one way sound like a good price?

Thank you both for the info--We'll probably go with the 3 hr layover. That will take ALL the stress away, and give us time to get some lunch at the airport,(any suggestions?) since I'm sure they won't feed us on the plane. It looks like ORD has it all over LAX as far as food places.

There was another option with a 3 hr layover at Dulles, but the flight leaves LAX at 6 am, as opposed to 7 am for the flight to ORD.

By the way, does $160 p/p one way sound like a good price?

Chicago hot dogs (Vienna brand). Getting 'em fully loaded (with the nuclear green relish, hot peppers, onions, etc. etc.) Best junk food ever created.

Accra, Ghana has it all over LAX. <grin>

Paul

I haven't been in the United terminals at ORD for a while, but I know that in the AA terminals there are some good choices for eating including a Macaroni grill.

Since you may have 3 hours it might be worth the walk over to an adjoining terminal if you see something there.....just be sure to not have to leave the air-side post security as clearing it again could be a hassle.

I unfortunately connect through ORD all the time sine that is where the regional planes that serve my airport mostly go. In all likelihood you will come into ORD from LAX in the C concourse of terminal 1 and then go out of the F concourse in terminal 2 (and of course you will be at C30 and have to go to F19) Granted, if you are on anything smaller than a 757, you might end up at the B concourse which is closer. There is a shuttle from C to F which is located near gate C9 which I recommend. Much faster than the long walk. 1 hour is cutting it close, particularly when ORD is prone to weather delays. Also, if you have checked luggage, it might not make it to the next flight. United uses several regional carriers under the united express name and they all do not work well together. I have made a 1 hour connection on United at ORD before, but it is not something I would recommend. Why push it.

I unfortunately connect through ORD all the time sine that is where the regional planes that serve my airport mostly go. In all likelihood you will come into ORD from LAX in the C concourse of terminal 1 and then go out of the F concourse in terminal 2 (and of course you will be at C30 and have to go to F19) Granted, if you are on anything smaller than a 757, you might end up at the B concourse which is closer. There is a shuttle from C to F which is located near gate C9 which I recommend. Much faster than the long walk. 1 hour is cutting it close, particularly when ORD is prone to weather delays. Also, if you have checked luggage, it might not make it to the next flight. United uses several regional carriers under the united express name and they all do not work well together. I have made a 1 hour connection on United at ORD before, but it is not something I would recommend. Why push it.

Thanks for your answers--We ended up going with the 1 hr layover on a flight that leaves LAX at 9am. I have been checking our flight #'s for the last couple of days, and they arrive at ORD at terminal 1, concourse B----The next flight leaves from terminal 1, concourse C, so, hopefully we will be ok. We are on a 767 to Ord, and a 737 to Burlington.

Thanks again!

... from the B gates, head toward the life-sized dinosaur halfway down the B concourse. Access to the C gates is directly across from it, and you will follow a neon-lit passageway underground to C.

Archived