Has anyone traveled...

bonnys

I did look into it when I booked my upcoming Glory cruise because I was going to drive. I was appalled at how expensive it was (I'd have to have a sleeper because I cannot sleep sitting in a chair no matter how large or whether it reclines) and how long it would take.

Too bad, because I'd love to take the train.

DD & I took Amtrak to New Orleans from Atlanta one year between Christmas and New Years. It took FOREVER, stopped a gazillion times, and was at least a couple hours late arriving. It was an interesting experience, but I don't think I'd do it again.

I've travelled in France on the TGV. That was fun.

When I checked into taking the train for our trip in November it came up at $667 for three people, I could do a flight with Jet Blue for the six people at $564 - still at the moment driving still looks cheaper even if gas goes up, if we stop and fill up 6 times at $60 each trip that is only $360, not to mention if flying we have to do a hotel night also.

When I checked into taking the train for our trip in November it came up at $667 for three people, I could do a flight with Jet Blue for the six people at $564 - still at the moment driving still looks cheaper even if gas goes up, if we stop and fill up 6 times at $60 each trip that is only $360, not to mention if flying we have to do a hotel night also.

The current price for us..(coach) is 282 from Eastern NC to Orlando for 2 adults and 2 children round trip...current price for 1 plane ticket for the nearest airport are 270 each..:cool:

But that isn't in a sleeper, is it?

No, it is for coach seats. My kids can sleep anywhere. :rolleyes: and even with planning on getting in a day early and getting a hotel for the 1st night is still cheaper than the plane tickets..:) and gives us time to rest up before the cruise..it wasnt that bad of a trip for us. And the kids loved riding the train..Now I dont know how bad it would be to Ft. Lauderdale as I havent done that one. but I would consider it for our Sept trip if time would allow it..Hubby only has a few days off so we are flying there out of Columbia SC. We paid 242 for 2 round trip tickets with Spirit. Which we didnt think was too bad of a deal

Has anyone ever traveled by train to your cruise? DD, age 8, wants to take the train from NC to Miami for our October cruise. Neither DH or I have ever been on a train before and do not know what to expect. Time wise, it will take us almost twice as long to get there, but because of the rising gas prices, the train fare is less than roundtrip tickets on the train. We will save money and wear and tear on our SUV. I also think it will be fun for our kids to experience something new. What do you think?

Sounds like a lot of fun for the kids as well as for yourselves. It beats driving down, you will be cool and refreshed when you arrive in Miami vs. having to deal with 14 or 15 hours of driving down the highway and hitting traffic once you get to Ft. Lauderdale, all the way to Miami. I would take th train any time, we did when we went to Jacksonville, Florida from Miami and it was great.:rolleyes:

Archived