Drive time ANK to Seward

ckzimmy

Will be leaving Anchorage May 30th in the am to catch the Northwerstern Fjord Tour out of Seward at 9 am. Wondering how long the drive will likely take and what time to leave Anchorage to make the boat. They want us there at least 1/2 hr prior to departure. Will be driving as there are 5 in the group and van makes more sense than train fare and schedule will not allow going there the night before.

Will be leaving Anchorage May 30th in the am to catch the Northwerstern Fjord Tour out of Seward at 9 am. Wondering how long the drive will likely take and what time to leave Anchorage to make the boat. They want us there at least 1/2 hr prior to departure. Will be driving as there are 5 in the group and van makes more sense than train fare and schedule will not allow going there the night before.

Downtown Anchorage to Seward is 127 miles. This is considered one of the most scenic drives in Alaska. If you want to have a little time to enjoy the ride and take in the view you'll need to get an early start and leave at least 3 hours. We'll be in Alaska for the first time this July (so my comments come from what I've read on this board). However, it seems you should also take into consideration the potential for traffic and construction. Also, after Girdwood (42 miles south of Anchorage) there is no gas until you approach Seward.

Needless to say, you're going to need a very early start to get there by 8:30. Perhaps if your flight the day before is early enough you should consider driving to Seward right after landing. I know that sounds like a long day after flying a great distance, but if you share the driving it might be worth it to get a decent nights sleep prior to your all day cruise.

Downtown Anchorage to Seward is 127 miles. This is considered one of the most scenic drives in Alaska. If you want to have a little time to enjoy the ride and take in the view you'll need to get an early start and leave at least 3 hours. We'll be in Alaska for the first time this July (so my comments come from what I've read on this board). However, it seems you should also take into consideration the potential for traffic and construction. Also, after Girdwood (42 miles south of Anchorage) there is no gas until you approach Seward.

Needless to say, you're going to need a very early start to get there by 8:30. Perhaps if your flight the day before is early enough you should consider driving to Seward right after landing. I know that sounds like a long day after flying a great distance, but if you share the driving it might be worth it to get a decent nights sleep prior to your all day cruise.

msmoger,

We will likely do sight seeing on route back to anc after the day cruise. Get in from the land portion of our cruise and have hotel provided in anc that evening so no point in getting another room that isn't pd for. Any thoughts on what is best along the route.

This is promising to be another busy summer road construction season in Anchorage so I'd give myself a minimum of three hours.

Chenega,

Thanks for the advice. I checked out the AK DOT web site and it currently shows nothing planned for May along the route. It did mention a pavement buckle today with debris on the road. Should I expect these sorts of delays in May?

In April and May the pavement is still settling from the frost heaves. Some are pretty big right now. As things warm up, the ground will settle and smooth out. In some areas you might want to slow down to about 40 mph. They worst ones are marked by signs and survey markers on the edge of the road.

Nothing like a frost heave making you go airborne :D

You may want to check back in regards to Southcentral projects because we may be a little slow updating the web site

Susan in Anchorage :)

AKSusan,

Wondering what you would consider "must sees" or "must dos" along the drive from anchorage to seward. We will likely not be in any hurry returning to anchorage for our final night in a hotel.

Thanks

CKZimmy

AKSusan,

Wondering what you would consider "must sees" or "must dos" along the drive from anchorage to seward. We will likely not be in any hurry returning to anchorage for our final night in a hotel.

Thanks

CKZimmy

Lunch at Summit Lake Lodge, stop and look at the scenery at Turnagain Pass (great bathroom stop). Once you're through the pass and hit Portage, there is Portage Glacier Visitor's Center (according to what time you're here, the salmon may be running and they have a viewing area for that), also the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Area.

Then there is the tram at Alyeska. In the summer they have a tram/lunch combo or if you don't like that menu, I can recommend Chair 5 in Girdwood or if you're there in the evening Double Musky.

There is great photo opportunities at Beluga Point and the new Bird Ridge pullout (good bathroom break too). If the summer are running stop at Bird Creek and watch the guys fish. Windy Corner watch for the mountain sheep but if you pull over please be careful of the traffic.

After you pass the weigh station there is Potter Marsh. It has a huge boardwalk area and again if the salmon are running they return here and all kinds of birds too.

Well then up the hill and you're in to town.

Lunch at Summit Lake Lodge, stop and look at the scenery at Turnagain Pass (great bathroom stop). Once you're through the pass and hit Portage, there is Portage Glacier Visitor's Center (according to what time you're here, the salmon may be running and they have a viewing area for that), also the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Area.

Then there is the tram at Alyeska. In the summer they have a tram/lunch combo or if you don't like that menu, I can recommend Chair 5 in Girdwood or if you're there in the evening Double Musky.

There is great photo opportunities at Beluga Point and the new Bird Ridge pullout (good bathroom break too). If the summer are running stop at Bird Creek and watch the guys fish. Windy Corner watch for the mountain sheep but if you pull over please be careful of the traffic.

After you pass the weigh station there is Potter Marsh. It has a huge boardwalk area and again if the salmon are running they return here and all kinds of birds too.

Well then up the hill and you're in to town.

Thanks for the suggestions. Great help.

CKZimmy

Archived