How does the bus system work? And other Aruba questions...

vossjemi

We will be in Aruba in jan for our cruise. We are planning on booking a snorkeling excursion through Mi Dushi which picks up at the depalm pier. When done, we might linger at a nearby beach, if there is one. Then, back to town for a little shopping. Hopefully find some Cuban cigars. Then, hopefully call home to check on kids. Then, back to ship for dinner. Then, off to Carlos & Charlies for a night out. I have a million questions on how to accomplish all this so please be patient with me.

1)How does the bus system work? Do you buy 1 way passes, round trip passes, day passes or what? How much does it cost? And, where specifically do I find a bus to pick us up from the cruise ship to get to the depalm pier where the mi dushi excursion leaves? How often do the buses come & go?

2)Where is the depalm pier? Is it near eagle or palm beach or neither? Is one of them within walking distance so we can enjoy some beach time after our snorkel excursion?

3)Can you find a bus anywhere along the beach to get back to town? When back in town, where can we find legitimate cuban cigars? I did get a response to another post saying Casa del Habanos...where is that located? Also, is there an international calling station somewhere downtown or near the pier so I can call my kids at home? How much does it cost?

4)Where is carlos & charlies?

HI everyone, I am travelling to Aruba in December and would also be interested in these questions. I have the footprint guide which shows that busses leave from behind Parliament in Zoutmanstraat. But it's always interesting to hear from others with personal and recent experience.

The buses are easy to deal with...

you need to walk north when you get out of the pier area and go to the depot.

DePalm Pier is north of Eagle Beach and is part of Palm Beach.

You'll need to leave the hotel area and walk about a block inland to get to where the buses stop. They take US $.

If you're in a pinch for time going to excursion take a taxi there and bus the return.

Personally, we've done Jolly Pirates and MiDushi and like Pirates better for the day excursion.. If you book it on line there cheaper at least $15 per person AND they refund if you cancel vs. MiDushi's cancellation policy.

Enjoy your day there... it's fun.

Carolyn

Lahore, what footprint guide? Where can i get a copy?

cmjaffe, I had considered jolly pirates, but heard their ship burnt. Sounds like they're back in business? Besides being cheaper, why do you like Jolly Pirates over Mi Dushi. Same or different stops? More or less people? Same or better lunch? Drinks? I'm very interested. Thanks.

It's the 'Caribbean Islands Handbook' by Sarah Cameron which is a Footprint handbook publication. There are of course many others, it's just that i picked this one up for a song on ebay.

• 3 weeks later...
Personally, we've done Jolly Pirates and MiDushi and like Pirates better for the day excursion.. If you book it on line there cheaper at least $15 per person AND they refund if you cancel vs. MiDushi's cancellation policy.Carolyn

I'm not sure if this is true. Their website didn't say anything about cancellation policies so I emailed Jolly and asked some questions about it. I was told once you book, your credit card is immediately billed, and that you will not be refunded if you cancel. The only exception given to me was if they cancel on you due to inclement weather.

Archived