Short family outings: Glacier trek, float trip - Questions?

sdfamily

We are doing a pre-cruise RV trip from Anchorage - Denali - Fairbanks - McCarthy - Valdez - Anchorage. We are traveling with an 18 month old, so on outings, we will either break into two groups or have MIL or myself babysit.

Glacier trek: Everybody wants to do this one, so we're looking at a short hike (min age 7) and a longer trek (min age 9). So, this will likely be an all day event. The MICA guides tours on the Matanuska glacier work with our schedule. Should I consider the Worthington? Any others I missed along our route?

Float trip (notice I say float): Looking at the 2 hr Nenana float trip from the village (min age 7). Would we be missing most of the scenic/fun parts of the Nenana on this one? Also considering the 2 hr Lowe River through the Keystone Canyon? Is this better? Would we want to combine this with the Worthington Glacier and not do the glacier trek at the Matanuska?

Kayaking: We could possibly kayak in Valdez instead of the float trip. Would you do this? The kayaking would be Duck Flats tour. Would you take this tour or just rent a kayak to float around in for an hour and then do the float trip?

Also, do you think we need to reserve in advance or could I just call the day ahead depending on our schedule?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks GMoney - that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Since the Valdez portion is towards the end of the trip, we'll probably plan our water activity for earlier in the trip.

Archived