Just found our cruise over $300 cheaper

Sue's Mom

When I booked our cruise I had looked at the websites of a couple of US TAs, both of which we have used before. I chose the cheaper option and booked - non-refundable fare.

Silly me went again to the website of the TA that we did not use and found the same cruise, the same category of stateroom on the same deck at $316 in total less, and that is taking into account the increased surcharge.

I have looked on the HAL website but the prices are only quoted in sterling and not US$, even though I said that I was from the US. (Note to self to clear cookies. Perhaps this will help.)

My question is - am I stuck with paying the amount I have booked for, although I think I already know the answer? :(

When I booked our cruise I had looked at the websites of a couple of US TAs' date=' both of which we have used before. I chose the cheaper option and booked - non-refundable fare.

Silly me went again to the website of the TA that we did not use and found the same cruise, the same category of stateroom on the same deck at $316 in total less, and that is taking into account the increased surcharge.

I have looked on the HAL website but the prices are only quoted in sterling and not US$, even though I said that I was from the US. (Note to self to clear cookies. Perhaps this will help.)

My question is - am I stuck with paying the amount I have booked for, although I think I already know the answer? :([/quote']

Contact your agent, kiddo... whether they are online or not, they should be able to help you. It can't hurt to ask. ;) Good luck. :)

I would not assume that this business of selling cruises operates the same in the U.K. and it does in the U.S.

Here we can always cancel our original booking before final payment date and rebook. As I understand it, this is not possible in the U.K. without paying a 10% penalty to someone. I don't know if "someone" is the cruise line or the travel agency.

Just ask your ta and see what they say.

Last week I was about to make a payment on my upcoming cruise when I noticed that the cruise agency was running a sale on HAL cruising. I pulled up the info and saw that my cruise was $698 cheaper. When I called my ta, I mentioned this to her and ask her what could she do for a loyal HAL cruiser. One hour later she called me back and reduced my cruise my $698.25!! I didn't have to cancel my orignal booking and she e-mail me the paperwork reflecting the new pricing.

I hope this helps.

Happy sailing!!

Second time around and my 40th birthday cruise on the

MAASDAM

10/24/08-11/07/08

On line TA may charge non-refundable booking fee, usually is $15 ~ $30 US. Unless you had already paid in full, otherwise, you should be able to cancel it. If you can not resolve with your TA, try your Credit Card. They may be able to help. Good Luck.

Just ask your ta and see what they say.

Last week I was about to make a payment on my upcoming cruise when I noticed that the cruise agency was running a sale on HAL cruising. I pulled up the info and saw that my cruise was $698 cheaper. When I called my ta, I mentioned this to her and ask her what could she do for a loyal HAL cruiser. One hour later she called me back and reduced my cruise my $698.25!! I didn't have to cancel my orignal booking and she e-mail me the paperwork reflecting the new pricing.

I hope this helps.

Happy sailing!!

Second time around and my 40th birthday cruise on the

MAASDAM

10/24/08-11/07/08

What a result!

I will email the TA later today.

Thanks everyone.

My question is - am I stuck with paying the amount I have booked for' date=' although I think I already know the answer? :([/quote']This is one I can answer, because it happened to us. We booked the cruise, and I told our TA "that wasn't the amount advertised". Well, after some back and forth we found that it was a non-refundable rate payable in full at time of booking. OK, sure, no problem.

Then two weeks later we received a mailing from HAL and the "from" price was $200 lower. Since we booked a "from" cabin (MM), I asked our TA if we could get the difference.

Well, more back and forth. The answer was that since we had a non-refundable fare, we were stuck on the price. However, HAL took us from an MM guarantee to a K guarantee. I can live with that.

Now, it's possible that they didn't really give us anything, but I don't know. That's the risk you can take with a non-refundable rate. Our TA told us she's seen that happen a year or so in advance, but not a couple of months before sailing. Again, I'm a novice at this, so I don't really know.

But it can't hurt to ask.

This is one I can answer, because it happened to us. We booked the cruise, and I told our TA "that wasn't the amount advertised". Well, after some back and forth we found that it was a non-refundable rate payable in full at time of booking. OK, sure, no problem.

Then two weeks later we received a mailing from HAL and the "from" price was $200 lower. Since we booked a "from" cabin (MM), I asked our TA if we could get the difference.

Well, more back and forth. The answer was that since we had a non-refundable fare, we were stuck on the price. However, HAL took us from an MM guarantee to a K guarantee. I can live with that.

Now, it's possible that they didn't really give us anything, but I don't know. That's the risk you can take with a non-refundable rate. Our TA told us she's seen that happen a year or so in advance, but not a couple of months before sailing. Again, I'm a novice at this, so I don't really know.

But it can't hurt to ask.

Sorry, the third sentence should read: "Well, after some back and forth we found that the advertised (lower) rate was a non-refundable rate payable in full at time of booking."

Thanks Cruising Ham. I think I will email the TA and just ask for her comments. ;)

With regard to getting a price from HAL - I cleared cookies, cleared temporary internet files and still I got the price in £sterling. Crikey!!! Working on an exchange rate of 1.95 the "from" cost is over $4000 per person which is literally more than twice the price we are paying for two people. We've only got a category L inside on Verandah deck. And it is a "cruise only" fare. :eek:

So I really am grateful for the internet and for US TAs. :D Aren't you glad you don't live in the UK!!!!

Archived