wifi

laurelhollow

Wifi is available in certain areas -- the computer room, the library, the lobbies near the central staircase, and a few more. Access is by logging in to the ship's wifi system.

HOWEVER -- it is very expensive. The basic rate is $0.95 per minute, or almost $60 per hour. There are packages available, such as increments of 100 minutes, but even they are relatively high priced. I think the ultimate package rate is around $0.60 per minute.

Finally, access is by shared satellite, with the lag time and slow speeds often associated with such systems. It may be marginally faster than dial up, but it is not going to be close to the broadband to which you may be accustomed.

Most Oceania cruises are very port intensive, and there is nearly always time in the port to find an internet cafe, almost always at considerably less expensive rates, and almost always at a faster speed. Many of them will offer wifi for your own laptop, if you choose to carry it.

Yes, what Hondorner says :p

I take a thumb drive and put the e-mail I intend to send on it. When I find a portside Internet center I make sure to get a computer that will allow me to use the USB (some don't). I upload the e-mail I have written and send it off and then I download my e-mail onto the thumb so I can answer it later. Anything urgent can be taken care of on the spot at a much lower rate than the ship rate. And usually faster, too!

Jana

Archived