Seeking comments on Rockley Beach (Accra Beach)

tumper

While surfing for info on Barbados beaches, I came across some very nice comments on various websites for Rockley Beach (also known as Accra Beach for the hotel nearby) on the island's south coast.

Photos show it to be a lovely public beach, with soft white sand, some shade trees, easy access from the road, and kiosks for local vendors. Across the road is a shopping plaza called Quayside Centre, with a convenience store, shops, and

restaurants - including a Chefette fast-food restaurant (it seems to be the equivalent of a Burger King in the U.S. ?).

If you have experienced this beach, I would very much appreciate any comments, suggestions, or info about taxi rates, services available (restrooms, showers, etc), and water sports.

Thanks !

As someone who spends almost every weekend at the beach at Accra Beach, I am very familiar with the area.

The beach itself is very nice. For swimming it's quite nice. sometimes can be a bit rough with strong currents and good surfing/boogie boarding waves. other times it can be flat like a lake, very enjoyable.

There are shade trees but sometimes can be croweded. It will depend on when you plan to be here and for how long. Weekends are usually much more crowded with both locals and tourists alike, but if you can't find a shade tree, the beach chair vendors now have a few umbrellas to rent as well. I think the chairs are about US$5.00 for the day, but I'm not sure.

Their are vendors that sell everything from Food and Drink (De Rock Bar is owned by a friend of mine and very good) to beach wraps and t-shirts.

There is now a public restroom area, but beware of the opening/closing times.. Sometimes they open later and close earlier than the signs say.. and make sure you wash your feet at the outside shower before even attempting to into the washrooms. (and always say hello (Good morning, good afternoon etc) to the washroom attendent and the security guard.. just a nice thing to do)

Across the street is Chefette (more like KFC than Burger King). They sale mainly chicken dishes, but they have other things to choose from and it is "fast food', but not neccesarily cheap fast food. There are other restuarants in the area withing distance as well as shops etc. At Quayside you can have lunch, coffee, soup and purchase t-shirts and items to take home.

I'm not sure of the cost and I guess it depends on where you are coming from. From the port, I would say maybe 10.00usd.. but don't quote me on that one. could be US$20.00.. not sure. You can take the southcoast bus from the Fairchild street bus terminal in Bridgetown and that will cost you only BBD$1.50/US$.75.

Forgot the water sports.. not sure there really are any. there maybe someone with a wave runner or catamaran but I've never really seen them along that stretch of beach. Mostly swimmers and boogie boarders.

let me know if you have any other questions.. and enjoy.

Sunniebgi

Sunniebgi -

THANKS so much for the reply ! We will be in Barbados on a Wednesday.

Could I bother you with a few more questions ?

If we dont take a taxi, should we use a blue bus or one of the yellow ZR vans ? Which do you recommend ?

Is it customary to tip the restroom attendant ?

Are there lockers available to rent ?

Are there lifeguards ?

I noticed that you mentioned a security guard. Is that common on weekends or everyday ?

I found the website for Chefette ! They even post a menu and prices... not too bad ! http://www.chefette.com/

Thanks again.

HI there.. sorry for the delay in responding. I have entered answers at each question.

Sunniebgi -

THANKS so much for the reply ! We will be in Barbados on a Wednesday.

Could I bother you with a few more questions ?

If we dont take a taxi, should we use a blue bus or one of the yellow ZR vans ? Which do you recommend ?

My preference would be a taxi to the beach and then possibly take a blue bus back into Bridgetown and walk through town back to the port (or take a taxi back)

Is it customary to tip the restroom attendant ? No..

Are there lockers available to rent ? There are lockers in the beach facility, I think, but I have no idea about renting them.

Are there lifeguards ? There are usually 2 lifeguards on the beach. there is a lifeguard stand infront of the beach facility area.

I noticed that you mentioned a security guard. Is that common on weekends or everyday ? Everyday. The guard is there for the beach facility.. and you may even see Barbados Policeman walking up and down the beach, in their long pants and hardsole shoes. not to send a frighting picture, because it should, its simply for safety on the whole.

I found the website for Chefette ! They even post a menu and prices... not too bad ! http://www.chefette.com/

The prices aren't too bad, but I would really like some McDonalds/Burger King US$1.99/BBD3.00 specials.

Thanks again.

Anything else I can help with let me know.

Sunniebgi

Archived