First ship of the season to Alaska

According to this blog, here is the first ship of the season to Alaska.

We are on the 5th trip of the Pearl on June 1st. April might be to early for Alaska. I am amazed that over 1 Million cruise ship passengers will visit Juneau for the 1st time.....amazing.:eek:

There was an article in the paper yesterday saying that Juneau is running on back-up electrical generators because an avalanche took out their transmission towers from the hydroelectric dam. Electricity is going to cost 5x as much as usual until the towers can be put back in service (at least 3 months)

I wonder how that will affect the tourist business.

There was an article in the paper yesterday saying that Juneau is running on back-up electrical generators because an avalanche took out their transmission towers from the hydroelectric dam. Electricity is going to cost 5x as much as usual until the towers can be put back in service (at least 3 months)

I saw that on CNN.com a few weeks ago and wondered the same thing as well. We are cruising this Sunday and wondered if they would skip this port due to the power outage they said would be affecting the whole city for months. I haven't heard anything further since the initial report. I've heard that Juneau is the most beautiful state capital in the entire 50 states; I hope we don't miss it!

You're welcome. That's a really nice blog. She puts up a picture of some part of Juneau every day.

There is a mention of the avalanche on her blog. Go back a few days.

Edited to add the link about the avalanche: http://juneaudailyphoto.blogspot.com/2008/04/april-snow.html

And the complete blog if you want to follow it daily: http://juneaudailyphoto.blogspot.com/

I saw that on CNN.com a few weeks ago and wondered the same thing as well. We are cruising this Sunday and wondered if they would skip this port due to the power outage they said would be affecting the whole city for months. I haven't heard anything further since the initial report. I've heard that Juneau is the most beautiful state capital in the entire 50 states; I hope we don't miss it!

I doubt you'd have any reason to miss Juneau. The Star was there earlier this week -- Wednesday, maybe? Have a wonderful cruise! Hope the weather is OK for you.

I doubt you'd have any reason to miss Juneau. The Star was there earlier this week -- Wednesday, maybe? Have a wonderful cruise! Hope the weather is OK for you.

Thank you for your kind post. My hopes are up now!:)

Archived