Float Planes - Misty Fjords

jhinjhin

We have found that Island Wings is the only service that actually lands and lets you get out and walk around. However, its $60 more pp than the cruise line trip. Is that worth the additional amount? We have four people so it adds up.

If not is there any reason to go with an independent as opposed to the cruise line?

My wife and I thought the $60 more pp was worth it to not have to balance on the pontoons trying to take pictures.

Independents are typically less expensive than the cruise tours, but you have to balance that with the fact that the cruise ships guarantee you'll get back in time. That said, Island Wings has never missed a ship, and we'll be on their 2-4 flight (ship leaves at 5).

For those reading this thread who've taken the trip, just wondering if typical float plane flight over the Misty Fjords is suited for a somewhat nervous flyer? Thanks!!

We have found that Island Wings is the only service that actually lands and lets you get out and walk around. However, its $60 more pp than the cruise line trip. Is that worth the additional amount? We have four people so it adds up.

If not is there any reason to go with an independent as opposed to the cruise line?

We went with Southeast Aviation two years ago. Our pilot landed in a mountain lake. We got out and walked around. There we were, seven people and nothing but nature. It was breathtaking! Talk about God's country. WOW!

For those reading this thread who've taken the trip, just wondering if typical float plane flight over the Misty Fjords is suited for a somewhat nervous flyer? Thanks!!

DH and I have been married for 29 years. During the first years of our marriage, when we would fly, he would reach for my hand during take off and say "I love you we're gonna die." I think that qualifies for a somewhat nervous flyer. :)

For months prior to our Misty Fjords flightseeing excursion, my husband kept saying how I was trying to kill him by going on that small plane. :D So who sat next to the pilot? You guessed it, Scaredy Pants himself! He LOVED it! We were fortunate to have a sunny day, with little wind so I must say the flight was smooth as silk. Take offs and landings were smooth, as well.

The pilot decides who sits where, due to weight distribution, so you really don't have a choice where you sit. DH and this other man were the two biggest guys so one was furthest back and one was furthest forward. They put DH up front because we booked early.

I agree with paylady. We flew with Michelle (Island Wings) a couple of years ago. Landing on the mountain lake was absolutely breathtaking. It's hard to describe the smell of the air and the absolute silence, completely surrounded by mountains and a clear blue sky. As we walked on shore, we saw bear and wolf tracks. To help drown out the noise of the engines as we flew, Michelle played music over the headphones. Just as she started to lift off the lake, Ava Maria began to play - and I burst into tears! It was one of those rare perfect moments. If your trip is half as good as mine, it will be worth the money.

We took Southeast Aviation last summer and landed on a lake. Tied up to some floating docks and got out for about 15 minutes to take pictures and enjoy the scenery. They had another plane from their company that was getting ready to pull out away as we got out and it was neat watching them take off on the lake. Last year they offered some good web special prices when we booked on-line that were considerably less than the cruise line was charging. It was easy and convenient booking with them. They met us at the visitors center right where the ships dock to drive us to the plane (less than 5 minutes ride). I would definitely recommend them.

Did this trip last summer with my youngest daughter and oldest son who will be a naval flight officer soon. Scenery was amazing. Even scared some goats on the top of a mountain. Would highly recommend the trip with any company.

We have found that Island Wings is the only service that actually lands and lets you get out and walk around.

QUOTE]

No, this is not true, there are other independent vendors who land and let you out the plane.

Island Wings does have an extended hiking option however.

We booked this tour through the ship, and I too am not a happy camper when I fly. However, I WILL NOT LET MY FEARS over-ride the beauty that I will miss if I don't do this excursion. All of your posting about this part of the trip (almost) make me want to fly!!! Thanks to all for your wonderful comments...I can't wait!!!!!:)

As BudgetQueen said, Island Wings is not the only independent to land and let you out of the plane. And YES, YES, YES IMO that landing is worth the extra $. We flew last Aug with Michelle of Island Wings and our flight and landing was without a doubt a highlight of our trip. The video I took with my digital camera is priceless to us and each time we watch the many clips I shot we still ooh and ahh over it :)

We booked this tour through the ship, and I too am not a happy camper when I fly. However, I WILL NOT LET MY FEARS over-ride the beauty that I will miss if I don't do this excursion. All of your posting about this part of the trip (almost) make me want to fly!!! Thanks to all for your wonderful comments...I can't wait!!!!!:)

Be aware that NONE of the ship contracted tours, allow you on land. They only allow you to get out of the plane and onto the pontoons, then back in the plane. Ship contracted tours are also tightly scheduled and more "routine", point to point route. I've flown Misty fjords many times and always see something new with independents.

Archived