Cozumel - Mayan Ruin Excursion

Hatty324

Has anyone done the Mayan Ruin excursion when going to Cozumel? I understand its a 45 min ferry, 1 hour car ride one way just to get to the place, but my girlfriend and I really want to do this. Has anyone done this, what did you think?

If this is the tour to Tulum, it is well worth the trip. It's a spectacular view - the site overlooks the Caribbean. When we did this trip, the ferry came up to the ship as we were heading for Cozumel and we crossed a gangplank to the ferry (both vessels continued to move :eek: ) to go to Playa del Carmen where we got on a bus to go to Tulum. On the return trip, we stopped in Xel-Ha and then we took a jet boat to Cozumel. This visit was a highlight of our trip!!

The place is amazing to see and the iguanas are impressive . Free samples of agave tequilla at a tourist shop stop on the way were great. The bus ride seemed long and the scenery was nothing but brush on the route. If you like to see really old stone structures and great water views then take this tour for sure.

PS. They had water for sale on the high speed ferry from the ship.

Has anyone done the Mayan Ruin excursion when going to Cozumel? I understand its a 45 min ferry, 1 hour car ride one way just to get to the place, but my girlfriend and I really want to do this. Has anyone done this, what did you think?

We did it and a lot of people said for what it cost, not worth it. Reason being was you spend most your time just getting there and back to the ship. Very little time actually getting to see the Mayan Ruin. Just a short speech when you get their, a quick walk around and time to leave. Not enough time at the port to even know what Cozumel has to see, you spend all that time trying to get back and forth.

It was just run, run, run. On the bright side, I guess a person can say they seen it.

We took this shore excursion on another cruise line, but I am pretty sure they all use the same tour operator.

Even though it was July and felt like 120 degrees outside, the five of us very much enjoyed the day. In fact, my kids are still talking about it four years later! Tulum is a mystical, spiritual place.

The ferry trip was fast, the bus was air-conditioned, and we made a pit stop at a nice rest stop with refreshments and clean bathrooms. When we arrived at Tulum, it was a 10-minute walk to the ruins, but there was a little tram available for rides. The ruins were very interesting, and we had a great guide to explain everything. After the tour, there was lots of time to walk around, experience the site, and even to swim. There is a small beach next to the ruins. We wished we had worn our bathing suits under our shorts.

Back on the bus, they gave us box lunches that were catered by Subway and lots of cold drinks. It was a relaxing ride home.

Our family would definitely recommend this shore excursion. It was MUCH more meaningful and memorable than the t-shirt shops in town!

Are you able to buy water bottles on the ship to bring with you, or how do you carry water with you on this excursion or any excursion for that matter?

Yes, you can buy bottled water on the ship.

However, the tap water on the ship is perfectly fine. Put some in a previously emptied water bottle, cool it in your in-room fridge and then take the bottle with you.

Go for it.... We did the ship tour (and I would recommend you do it too)because of the number of "connections" and the distance to travel.

I have to say first of all, I have several health issues and while I'm in good shape I never know when they will flare up. At times I have to pick ONE excursion as my priority.

We have been to Tulum before, yet if returning there was an option.....THAT would be my priority It is mystical and amazing. The view is breathtaking. The Temple of the Frescoes is not to be missed, and the Temple of the Wind sitting there against the shore is something you will see no where else!

Tulum is the only Mayan center know developed on the coast.

I did the tour as well and enjoyed it. The buildings weren't as impressive as what I expected, but for a first time it was worth it.

A note of caution, I've never been seasick before but the jetboat ride to the mainland was about as bad, for me, as I ever want it to be.

We did it and a lot of people said for what it cost, not worth it. Reason being was you spend most your time just getting there and back to the ship. Very little time actually getting to see the Mayan Ruin. Just a short speech when you get their, a quick walk around and time to leave. Not enough time at the port to even know what Cozumel has to see, you spend all that time trying to get back and forth.

It was just run, run, run. On the bright side, I guess a person can say they seen it.

I agree. The bus ride is just down the shore from playa del carmen. But no interstate highways.

We've done it and loved it. However as we were waiting in the Princess Theatre for our tour group to be called, they announced that the ferry ride was going to be VERY rough due to wind. They offered a full refund and help to get another excursion. Of the 50 people waiting, only 20 actually went. And yes, it was VERY rough. Everyone but us got seasick. But on the bright side, everyone stuck it out and we had an amazing day. Once we docked, there was about a half mile walk through the streets of Playa del Carmen to our waiting bus. The motor coach ride was an interesting drive along the coastline and we stopped at a pottery making shop. We had plenty of time at Tulum and it is eeriely beautiful. You need to wear study shoes as the ground is very uneven. There's a nice little shopoing area for trinkets and there some "Mayan" dancers performing. On the bus we had ordered a "Mayan" book/calendar inscribed with our names and anniversary date. It is a unique souvenier of that wonderful day. The ferry ride back from Playa del Carmen was late but since we were on a Princess tour, the ship waited for us. I would wholeheartedly recommend this trip unless you actually want to shop Cozamel. The trip is a full day.

We really enjoyed this tour with another cruise line. Sit on the lower level of the ferry for a smoother ride. I ate some local food near where the bus drops you off, which was very good but less than 24 hrs later I was ill. Be careful. If you want to take a quick swim wear your swim suite & bring a towel the tour guide said if you were wet it wasn't a problem. The ruins on the cliff and the view is fabulous. The guide was a little long on the historical information but you could go off on your own if you so choose. A long day but a once in a lifetime experience.

Archived