Juneau--Mt Roberts Tramway--accessible?

Cali_Mum

Hi everyone-

We are going to Juneau this month and are wondering how far the tramway is from the cruise dock...My son is in a wheelchair due to a broken leg and we are hoping to still get on the tram. Also, are there shops in the area or things to do near the dock? Thanks so much!

i'm in a wheelchair and while i haven't been to juneau yet (3 1/2 weeks!), i've seen this question asked on the boards before. people have said that the tram is accessible, but that if you're seated in a wheelchair, you can't really see much of anything while you're traveling up. i'm not making any reservation for it yet, since it might be so foggy i couldn't see anything anyway. my understanding is that is quite close to the dock.

you can visit the disabled travel board if you have more questions like this. also, talk to the cruise line or your travel agent. hope it goes well.

We have been on this before and is worth the view. But if you look

at the base of the window you can see the silver handbar. I think if

you sitting in a wheelchair next to the window you should be able to

see the view. But most of the view IMHO is at the top from the viewing

areas.

The lift is right at the pier just a block away from the ship.

But I would strongly advising of NOT making reservation and paying for

your fare. The main reason is if get to Juneau and it bad weather

with high fog or rain. You will not have any view from the tram. So

it would be mostly a waste of hard earn money! Wait until you get

there in Juneau. The price is a all day ticket and allows you to go

up and down all day long. You can just walk up and place you cold

down there.

2433914430102406380S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi everyone-

We are going to Juneau this month and are wondering how far the tramway is from the cruise dock...My son is in a wheelchair due to a broken leg and we are hoping to still get on the tram. Also, are there shops in the area or things to do near the dock? Thanks so much!

We were there in Sept. Don't worry about wheelchair because your not far from ship, it's flat land. The tram is quite big, lots of room and once at top there are a couple souvenier shops restuaran,t coffee bar.

your also on wellpacked dirt path( not paved I don't think) but easy to push wheelchair around to see the views.

There is also a caged bald eagle that they adopted and can't fly it's quite beautiful to be that close to one.

By the way just for your info when we were on the cruise there were a lot of ppl in wheelchairs, scooters and some carrying around oxygen. I thought how great it is that ppl don't have to be tied down to their home's.

Also I dont know what ports your going to but Juneau, ketcikan and Skagway are all pretty flats area's and theirs lots to see by just getting off the ship.

Archived