Danube: Questions about Prague

pjtraveler

We will be leaving on May 17 for a Danube cruise with Uniworld (Nuremburg to Vienna) with a pre-extension in Prague. Has anyone else done a pre-extension in Prague with Uniworld or another cruise line? If so, what optional excursions were you offered in addition to the city tour that comes as part of the package? Anything you would particularly recommend on doing on our own?

Thanks in advance for any responses!:) :)

Prague is a very walkable city. There is no need to take organized excursions unless you absolutely cannot get around on your own. Start at the Charles Bridge where you can spend the day listening to the musicians and viewing the artisans and statues on this famous pedestrian bridge. Walk along the banks of the bridge where there are wonderful shops and cafes. Take a boat trip along the river. Go to a concert at the Rudolfinum, a beautiful small concert hall with a history of famous composers and musicians performing there. Enjoy the jazz cafes. Spend an afternoon in the old town main square (starometske namesti), visiting St Nicholas church (beautiful.. also, there are concerts there sometimes), the astronomical clock (fascinating, on the hour "show") and just sipping a cappucino or beer while you watch the world go by. Then meander the streets feeding off the square and shop for Bohemian Crystal.

Can you tell Prague remains one of my favorite cities?? Buy a guide book and just explore. The people are very friendly, and most in the city speak some English. And be glad it's not on the Euro!

wbrumel,

So do businesses in Prague strictly take the Koruna and not the euro? I had heard that some places around tourist centers would take the euro. And why should I be glad its not on the euro?

Today's conversion rates:

1 Euro = 1.5449 USD

1 CZK = 0.06103 USD

We'll be visiting Prague in a few months. I'm thrilled Prague isn't on the Euro currency! If you are visiting Prague, you should be elated!

We did a similar itinerary on Avalon 2 years ago. One of the highlights of the Prague pre-cruise stay was a visit to Karlstein (sp?) castle on the outskirts of Prague. With a little research, we found the train and had a most enjoyable trip through the countryside to the castle. The castle itself is about a 20-30 minute walk from the train station, but you went through a picturesque town with great views of the castle as you approached. If you want to visit the room with the crown jewels, you need to get a reservation in advance. Otherwise, you can get into the rest of the castle anytime. If you don't feel like taking the local transport, there are several tour companies that you could take. I'd recommend this as an alternative to the ship-sponsored optional tour. If memory serves me correctly, I posted a review of the trip on this board because river cruises were not yet included in the main review section. If you're interested in a copy of that trip review, let me know and I'll email it to you. The itinerary sounds similar, although we went all the way to Budapest. You can reach me at ship@vnet.net.

Archived