Help for Aussies Miami to Fort Lauderdale pier

In Jan 2009 we are flying from Brisbane to Los Angeles getting in at 7am. We will miss the AA connection for a direct flight to Fort Lauderdale (also departs at 7 am). No other direct flights that day.

An option is to get AA direct flight to Miami. With the time difference it doesn't arrive until 8pm. We would go straight to a hotel at Miami airport.

My questions are for the next day (the day we cruise).

1 How do we get to the Fort Lauderdale Port from Miami? Is there a shuttle bus?

2 If we took a cab aprox how much would it be? What is the distance between Miami and Fort Lauderdale?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Sandra

Even though you miss a direct flight from LAX to Fort Lauderdale, surely AA has other flights to Fort Lauderdale later that morning that connect at either Chicago-O'Hare or Dallas-Ft. Worth?? You'd be much better off arriving at FLL that evening and spending the night in a hotel there then ending up in Miami. Miami and Ft Lauderdale Airports are only about 30-minutes apart. The port in Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) is right next to the Fort Lauderdale Airport.

BobK/Orlando

Thanks for your reply BobK.

You are right AA does have other flights that are not direct. We were trying for a direct because we'll have been in the air for about 15 hours coming from Australia, plus travelling forward in US time zones will make it about 11pm when we arrive in Fort Lauderdale. (It will seem like we've been travelling for 48 hours).

Do you think arriving around midnight at at a Fort Lauderdale hotel is better than the hassle of coming into Miami (around 8pm) and finding our way to the port next morning?

Sandra

Sallydownunder,

Fort Lauderdale airport is much nicer (and more user friendly) than Miami. I would try to book the connection flight through to FLL and and skip the shuttle-cab thing between places. Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

You said your flying in Jan, well make sure you if you fly into Chgo. O'Hare you plan for bad weather. I live there and there are always delays.

Now as for the FL airports, Ft. Lauderdale is way better then Miami. It always takes forever in Miami!! If you stay in Ft. Lauderdale try to stay at a hotel with a free shuttle and then in the morning you can take another shuttle to the port. I have used South Florida Shuttles and they a great. Otherwise if you go to Miami, the Holiday Inn Express is a good place to stay for the night. It is across from The Bayside Market Place. They have really nice shops, resturants and little boat tours.

Archived