Weather Help - British isles - Late August

jhannah

We are booked on the ms Prinsendam (HAL) for the August 23rd 14-day "Windmills and Waterford" sailing around the British Isles. If anyone has made this sailing around this time period, what were the seas like? Some have suggested they might be "active" for that itinerary.

We did a cruise this past July from Dover to France, to Cork, Belfast, SCotland and then up to the Norw. Fjords.

The weather was very comfortable (I'm from Florida so that means I like warm weather). I would say during the day the temp was generally from 65 to 70 -- some days overcast and a bit drizzly the morning we arrived in Cork. For the most part I wore khaki's with a light weight long sleeve top and a very lightweight windbreaker. I was very comfortable.

Every year (really every day) can present different weather, so it is always hard to "predict" what it might be. But I was pleasantly surprised!

Enjoy -- it's a beautiful area.

My wife and I did the British Isles, Amsterdam and Paris cruise on the Splendour of the Seas in 1996. We were there the last week of July and the first week of August and the weather was perfect. It was in the upper 60s to mid 70s each of the 12 days, and we had no rain on any of the days except for some drizzle on one sea day in the North Sea on the way from Scotland to Amsterdam. I don't remember any rough water at all.

We were on Celebrity's Constellation the first two weeks of August this year doing the 14-day Scandinavia cruise. The temperature was around 80 in every port, including St. Petersburg, Russia, and there was absolutely no rain except for some drizzle on one of the sea days. Again there was absolutely no rough water on that trip either. I think you're picking the perfect time for your trip.

Allen

It's very difficult to predict the weather here in the UK. This year for example the middle two weeks in August were horrendous, with vary bad rain every dya, and flooding everywhere.

We were in London on August 14 and 15 and it was beautiful....sunny and maybe 80 degrees. We went to a couple of plays and it was almost suffocating inside. We wre at the Cambridge Theatre and saw "Jerry Springer", The Opera, which was an eye-opener, and we saw Cole Porter's "Anything Goes" on Drury Lane. We almost suffocated in both theatres though, because of the heat. There were Londoners there dressed in long dresses and suits and ties and they didn't seem to miss air-conditioning a bit.

We sailed from Copenhagen into the North Sea on 8/27 this year.

This is from our log of the cruise:

8/28 @ Sea - partly cloudy temp. 55 - Wind: Westerly Gale - Force 8 (I was a bit green that day - not a good day for me to go to deck 17 for a CC meeting!)

8/29 Dover, England - overcast with passing showers temp. 64 - Wind: South-westerly Near Gale - Force 7

8/30 Falmouth, England - partly cloudy temp. 63 - Wind: Westerly Moderate Breeze - Force 4

8/31 Dublin, Ireland - fine and sunny temp. 65 - Wind: Light Airs

9/1 Greenock, Scotland - overcast temp. 63 - Wind: Light Easterly Breeze - Force 2

9/2 Belfast, Northern Ireland - overcast temp. 59 - Wind: Light Northwesterly Breeze - Force 2

9/3 @ Sea - overcast with occasional showers temp. 57 - Wind: Westerly Strong Breeze - Force 6

We proceeded on across the Atlantic to Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland and NYC. We were really happy with the weather at the end of August in this area. Give us temps in the low 60's and we're happy travelers!

Julie

juliejoe@swbell.net

Archived