Pacific Sun broken down in Moreton Bay

The Pacific Sun is tied up in Noumea. They must have had smooth seas and travelled at top speed to get there. I'm glad for the passengers that they got into Noumea, even if it is late. There will probably be free shuttle buses available as there were on 23rd April when we arrived late (4.30pm).:)

Hello everyone, my parents are on Pacific Sun as we speak, so they were broken down at Moreton Island, and they reckoned it was the best night of partying ever, because the ship was still... he he , it was actually a cracked propeller , and they fixed it there and then, they were running 5 hours behind, but have caught up now.... they are just leaving Villa as we speak. They arrived at Villa at about 7.30 our time this morning. So that is pretty much on time again. They have been given $50 on board credit for the stuff up. As compensation. But all is good, no more problems and they are back on time. I wonder how they would fix the cracked propeller? Must have had the divers down there or something ? ? ? :confused:

Kelstar

The engine repairs done in Moreton Bay the other night were more likely a cracked cylinder head that was replaced by with a spare - as reported by Goin'cruisin. This is a normal repair done to marine engines at sea.

A cracked propeller would have required dry-docking & would not have been discovered by ship's engineers.

If suspected - a cracked propeller can only be found by die testing

or x-ray.

Just checked the cruise cam and it seems to be moving again - it is hard to tell at the moment given it is night, but I think it has moved :) *crosses fingers*

We are supposed to be going on the Sun on 10 May, so hopefully it is nothing too bad and it has no more troubles for a very long time (at least 14 days of trouble free sailing would be fantastic)

Feel really sorry for the people on the ship at the moment, as they'll be feeling like they paid a lot of money just for a trip to Moreton :)

im also going on the sun on the 10th of may.

is this your first cruise ???

I have just returned from this cruise and it was a cracked head.

We stopped at 5.30pm and and got going at about 11pm.We had to move out of the shipping channel so they could fix it as they had a spare on board.

We all partied hard as we all thought we would end up going back to Brisbane.

The next day the captain announced we would arrive Noumea at 7.30pm and a free shuttle bus would take us to Lemon Bay and $50 onboard credit for everyone over 13.

A friend spoke to an engineer onboard and he said we were that close to returning.

Glad we didnt!

A review will follow soon!

I have just returned from this cruise and it was a cracked head.

We stopped at 5.30pm and and got going at about 11pm.We had to move out of the shipping channel so they could fix it as they had a spare on board.

We all partied hard as we all thought we would end up going back to Brisbane.

The next day the captain announced we would arrive Noumea at 7.30pm and a free shuttle bus would take us to Lemon Bay and $50 onboard credit for everyone over 13.

A friend spoke to an engineer onboard and he said we were that close to returning.

Glad we didnt!

A review will follow soon!

Hey Hey, Welcome back. Hurry up with the review!!! How did you go with no kids?????

Hope you had fun.

Cheers,

Kirsten

• 2 weeks later...

We were also on cruise n818 as the captain said it could almost have been the most expensive circumnavigation of Moreton bay in history!

I was really quite disapointed with the holiday in many ways, aside from the breakdown, we had quite a few disasters. One was that my young son went on an introductory dive in vila and ruptured his lungs. The medical centre were very good but we had to keep a close eye on him after that. I also got ripped off in Vila, lost $300, my own stupid fault.

P&O have made an investigation of the shore tour dive and found no fault, however as a gesture of good will they will be sending me a cheque for the cost of the dive and they have also taken note that perhaps the dive education was not thorough enough for a child. We received $50 on board credit to make up for missing out on Noumea.

But I would do it all over again if I had a chance! Even with the disasters we all agree we wanted to do it again, this time disaster free! So we have booked on Rhapsody of the seas for 2nd April 2009. Price was more expensive and we have to fly to Sydney for it, but it just looks a little nicer than the Pac Sun. I was tossing up with the Pac Dawn, but they didn't have a cruise at the same time. Also on the Rhapsody we have been able to book a 2 bedroom cabin which will make it a little more comfortable.

One of our disappointments was the Teen program, my 16 year old said it was more or less for young teens like around 13. They tell me that the teen program of the Rhapsody is fantastic, I hope so as it will be sons 17 birthday when we sail. Mind you he also said he loved it and would happily go on Pac Sun again.

Staff were amazingly wonderful and you certainly couldn't fault the service.

Everyone on board was pretty happy and wonderfully friendly.

Also on the Rhapsody we have been able to book a 2 bedroom cabin which will make it a little more comfortable.

Can I ask how many people the 2 bedroom cabin holds? And if you don't mind sharing, the approx cost?

Hope your son is ok now, must have been awful at the time.

BTW My teens loved the Dawn (and also the Sun:) ).

Can I ask how many people the 2 bedroom cabin holds? And if you don't mind sharing, the approx cost?

Hope your son is ok now, must have been awful at the time.

BTW My teens loved the Dawn (and also the Sun:) ).

The two bedroom has 4 bunks and one queen bed in the main area, I am still waiting to hear about the pull out couch as I think that this could also fit another.

It is aboput $7000 for 6 of us. They also have a minimum of 5 per cabin. There are only 6 of these cabins on board. They are the perfect family cabin. My husband likes this whole set up as he likes to read quietly when on holidays and this cabin will allow that and given that rapsody has a good room service we may only see him when we go back to the cabin!

My son really does seems fine now, thanks for asking.

Archived