Things to do for a few hours...

coboo

My mom and I are going on Carnival Inspiration in June. We have booked a two hour city tour for the morning, but I am wonder what to do with the couple of hours we wil have left in our day. We are only in port until 2. We will be going an all day beach excursion in Cozumel the next day, so we don't want to go to a beach. We are thinking some shopping, eating lunch in port...any suggestions of great places we need to visit (and yes, drinking can be in the plan)?

Since you're doing an island tour in the morning, I'd finish my time there having lunch and walking around the port area. There's a Tortuga Rum Cake shop right in the port area, along with quite a few shops.

http://www.breezesbythebay.com/

http://www.hardrock.com/locations/cafes3/cafe.aspx?LocationID=177&MIBEnumID=3

Right in port for lunch there is...

Paradise Bar and Grill (on the water-to the right of the port area).

Hard Rock (across the street from the water-to the right of the port area)

Breezes (across the street from the water-right in the middle of the port area).

Margaritaville

We really like Breezes. They have a small balcony that you can sit and eat and enjoy people-watching. I think they may have two balconies, one up on the third floor, but I am not sure. We always eat on the second floor of the restaurant (Breezes is on the 2nd and 3rd floors).

Here's a copy of the menu from a couple of years ago. I don't recall if the prices had gone up the last time we were there, but this will give you an idea of what Breezes and Hard Rock offers and the general prices.

Just in case anyone is interested...I found the one I posted with the Hard Rock menu. I do think there were more things on the menu, but this is all that was listed in the delivery service brochure.

The prices listed are Cayman money. I believe it was about 20% more for USD. Also, they will add the tip prior to giving you the bill.

Hard Rock Cafe

Santa Fe Spring Rolls- $8.95

Potato Skins-$8.95

Chicken Tenders-$9.95

Haystack Chicken Salad-$12.95

Onion Rings-$6.95

Twisted Mac & Cheese-$13.95

Blackened Chicken Pasta-$13.95

Jerk Chicken Sandwich-$9.50

BLT-$9.50

Chicken Club-$10.95

Cajun Chicken Sandwich-$10.95

Grilled chicken Fajitas-$18.95

Bacon Cheeseburger-$10.95

BBQ Ribs-$26.25

Grilled Chicken Breast-$13.95

Here's the menu from Breezes...

The bar menu isn't listed, but I remember they offered the following...

Coconut Shrimp (without the rice & peas, shoestring veggies and cornbread-it was $9.95, I believe. With the above items is on the regular menu).

Three small cheeseburgers (I think this came with fries.)

Crab cakes

Chicken Fingers

And a few other things, but I don't remember exactly. The bar menu had smaller portions or fewer side items on the menu. More sandwich/snack type things.

Regular Menu

Mango Greens...$8.25

Big Caesar with bacon 'n' garlic toast...$8.25

Cayman style conch Fritters & spicy Island dipping sauce...$6.25

Half pound, Peel 'n' Eat Shrimp! steamed in "Breezes Brew"...$10.95

Crispy Calamari "Misto" with Cho Cho & Pumpkin...$8.25

Curried Caribbean Samosas with yogurt "Raita" (mild) & firecracker jelly (hot)for dipping....$7.95

Classic Caribbean Crab Cakes...$9.25

House smoked Caribbean BBQ Ribs...$8.25

Cayman Conch Chowder bread Bowl with Bacon Crumbles...$6.25

Fresh Mussels! Kettle-cooked, three kinda way! *Creamy white & White wine*

*Mild Marinara Red* or *Lemon, Saffron & Thyme*...$9.95

Whole Fish Escovitch-Caribbean Yellowtail snapper, Island-style...$16.95

Juicy Jerk Glazed Pork Chop with mango chutney & mash...$15.95 (my middle son had this twice, he said it was really good)

Traditional, delicious West Indian Curry Chicken & Shrimp (mild, Island style) served with white rice * a pappadom crisp!...$13.95

Breezes' Kettle-Cooked Tropical Seafood Stew!-our signature spicy hot, "Fish Tea" with plenty of fish, shellfish & and good things. Real Hot...$11.95

10 oz. grilled sirloin o' beef with jerk butter & mash...$16.95

Today's Still Floppin' Fish-grilled-tomato & sweet pepper sauce, rice & peas, and veggie...$15.75

Red Stripe Dinner Plate-jerk chicken & ribs, rice & peas...$13.95

Tuna Melt-fresh grilled tuna steak "BLT" sandwich with jalapeno jack cheese & slaw...$10.50

Grilled sirloin steak & cheese sandwich...$11.95

Jerk chicken sandwich on "freshly baked bread" with cheese & slaw...$8.95

Rasta Pasta Breezes' jerk chicken & island veggies with our creamy three-cheese sauce tossed with seashell pasta...$11.95

Coconut Shrimp with rum/honey dipping sauce, Island-style rice & peas, veggies, and cornbread....$13.75

anyone know the prices of say Corona or other bottled beers at Breezes, Paradise Bar what about Margaritas?

I don't remember exactly, but things are VERY expensive. And always look at your bill because they most likely will add on the tip...I think they did that on our bills even when we only had drinks.

Since you're doing an island tour in the morning, I'd finish my time there having lunch and walking around the port area. There's a Tortuga Rum Cake shop right in the port area, along with quite a few shops.

http://www.breezesbythebay.com/

http://www.hardrock.com/locations/cafes3/cafe.aspx?LocationID=177&MIBEnumID=3

Right in port for lunch there is...

Paradise Bar and Grill (on the water-to the right of the port area).

Hard Rock (across the street from the water-to the right of the port area)

Breezes (across the street from the water-right in the middle of the port area).

Margaritaville

Twinkletoes, thanks for the great info on places to eat. You went above and beyond by poting menus also, and the effort is very appreciated:) . Do you know of any places that serve conch fritters? My family is from Key West, but since my grandma passed I haven't been back and I have a need for some really good conch fritters.

Now if anyone has any great places to shop, we will be all set. We are looking for more local shops that sell local crafty type items.

We love Key West...haven't been there for a few years, but I just love it there. :)

I am pretty sure we had conch fritters at Breezes. We almost always order them when we're at a restaurant there, and we ate at Breezes a lot. Breezes is our favorite place (along with Coconut Joe's, but it's along the 7MB area). We just love to sit on the balcony at Breezes and watch the world go by. They also sell rum cakes at their cash register, if you're interested.

I don't recall if the Hard Rock had fritters or not, but I think the Paradise Bar and Grill had fritters.

For local craft type stores right in the port area, there's a small building right to the right of the port area that had crafty items.

There's also the Blue Iguana shop. It's right on S. Church Street (toward the right of the port area. It's across the street from the water-their front door looks out at the water). They had lots of souvenir-type things.

There's this one shop...I don't recall the name, but it's pretty big and had a big selection of t-shirt, hats, Xmas ornaments, ref. magnets...things like this. To get there, walk down Cardinal Ave (it one of the main streets in the port area). You walk down that street a couple of blocks (you'll go past some shops and then a street and then pass a bank all on your left) and you'll come to a diagonal road in front of you. Just cross that street and the open area, and on the very end of the corner, to your left, you'll see this shop. I wish I could remember the name, but it's really easy to spot. I found tons of things there.

You might also ask your tour driver for suggestions. There are a lot of shops in the port area, but a lot of them are upper-end clothing, and jewelry places. The port area isn't that big, and it's perfectly safe to wander around the entire area. In fact, the whole island is safe, which is why we keep going back. We love to get out and explore.

I did a search, and here is a list of souvenir shops that popped up.

A Piece Of Cayman-Royal Plaza Cardinal Ave.

Blue Iguana-10400 South Church St.

Caymanian Traditions-Watlers Cruise Terminal

Caribbean Emporium-Shedden Rd.

Craft International-Bodmer Bldg. Shedden Rd.

Hot Tropics-In the Thompson Bldg.

Shellections-Waterfront Centre Nth Church

The very best place for local soviners is Pure Art, but it's about a mile out of town (the opposite direction from 7MB). I love this place.

http://www.pureart.ky/

I'm glad I could help. I've kept a lot of these in Word. I copied them one time for someone, and it's easy for me to post them online. :)

Twinkletoes, thanks yet again. You are a wealth of information about some things I have actaully been a little worried about. I am going to print out all of this stuff and take it with me. It will be very helpful when I get into port.:) :) :)

Twinkletoes, thanks yet again. You are a wealth of information about some things I have actaully been a little worried about. I am going to print out all of this stuff and take it with me. It will be very helpful when I get into port.:) :) :)

I am glad I could help. :) Prior to our first visit to GC (we were on the Triumph), I had no clue what to expect, and I don't know what I would have done had I not found CC and all the helpful posters. It's always nice to have a plan especially when your time on the island will be so short. I wanted to make sure we crammed in everything we could...and we did!

Grand Cayman is a wonderful place. It's safe and the people there are so nice. It's just a great place to wander around on your own...especially after your island tour.

Hope you and your mom have a wonderful cruise. :)

Archived