Labadee Zip Line (weight restrictions)

We are interested in trying the zip line while in Labadee and were curious if anyone knows how strict they are with their weight restrictions? We have a couple of people in our group that are over the maximum weight of 250 lbs - how closely do they watch? Any chance they may let it slide if it is close? If anyone has any experience with the weight restrictions we would appreciate your insight. Thanks!

They have the weight limits for a reason. I would hope that they take them seriously and don't let people slide.

When I was in Hawaii they weighed every person before they gave out the harnesses.

Hi, I have never done the zip line BUT I can't see wanting to take a chance on the weight limit! The limit is put there for safey reasons and after what happened recently with that poor women dying, I can't see them letting it slide nor can I see anyone wanting to chance it :eek: :eek: JMO

Hi, I have never done the zip line BUT I can't see wanting to take a chance on the weight limit! The limit is put there for safey reasons and after what happened recently with that poor women dying, I can't see them letting it slide nor can I see anyone wanting to chance it :eek: :eek: JMO

Someone died on the zip line!!! I am going with my kids in Jamica in 2 weeks -- tell me more, please

I have not zip lined, other friends have. they take the weight seriously, and, in fact will lower the maximum weight allowed dependent on wind and other atmospheric conditions. I do know those that are near the maximum allowed weight may have a pretty rough end to the ride. At the end you hit some sliding brake mechanisms that work to slow you down, heavier folks still have too much momentum for the brakes to stop them completely and they then are stopped by long coil spring mechanisms on the cable. You can get jerked to a stop rather roughly. Never heard of anyone being hurt, but the laws of physics always apply.

Hypo

I have searched in vain for a thread posted about 3 weeks ago talking about the modifications to the weight limit on the zip line.

Apparently they do enforce the weight limit of 250lbs.

They have a scale with no numbers (so you are not embarrassed on your weight if you exceed), that the dial goes into the (red zone) if you are over.

A family posted that in the afternoon if the area has windy conditions, they lower the limit to 160lbs. But gave everyone on the tour the option of zipping after being weighed, or a full refund.

Now the question is. If you weigh 159lbs. and they lower the limit for safety reasons, and part of your party would not be eligible to zip, would you?

I know we won't. It would not be fun if just me and my daughter could zip, and our husband couldn't.

Besides I am glad this excursion is early on the cruise, I am sure I could gain a pound or 5 and exceed the windy 160lb. cut-off, The thread says this does not happen often when they lower the limit. That is why we booked the first run.

Later

We diid the zipline excursion, and although I don't recall stepping on any scales (I really think I would remember that!!! :eek: ), I do recall hearing that you have to fit in the harness properly in order to participate! So, without a scale, I imagine that you could still be under (or over) the weight limit, and be allowed or denied based on the fit of the harness.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take any chances... when it comes to hanging by a wire up in the trees of an island far, far away from home, I want to feel confident that that wire is going to be able to hold my weight!!! :eek:

A~

I have zip-lined several times...I weigh abt 115 at the beginning, abt 125 at the end of the cruise. IMO, the weight restrictions are not due to the instability of the equipment ...but, rather the ABILITY of the heavier people to hoist their behinds up onto the hook! I am 5'3 and at the first line, I had to be lifted up to be attached. No way they could have done that if I weighed more than THEY did. You also need to be able to balance yourself & hold your bottom up with your feet in the air for the length of the zip-line. If you can't do sit-ups, don't go on a zip-line tour.

I think I've seen men heavier than 250lbs...but they were in good physical shape & over 6ft tall.

We have a couple of people in our group that are over the maximum weight of 250 lbs - how closely do they watch? Any chance they may let it slide if it is close?

If they are "close", then tell them to do some exercising, watch what they eat for a few weeks, and get down to 250. End of the problem.

Howard

I have searched in vain for a thread posted about 3 weeks ago talking about the modifications to the weight limit on the zip line.

Apparently they do enforce the weight limit of 250lbs.

They have a scale with no numbers (so you are not embarrassed on your weight if you exceed), that the dial goes into the (red zone) if you are over.

A family posted that in the afternoon if the area has windy conditions, they lower the limit to 160lbs. But gave everyone on the tour the option of zipping after being weighed, or a full refund.

Now the question is. If you weigh 159lbs. and they lower the limit for safety reasons, and part of your party would not be eligible to zip, would you?

I know we won't. It would not be fun if just me and my daughter could zip, and our husband couldn't.

Besides I am glad this excursion is early on the cruise, I am sure I could gain a pound or 5 and exceed the windy 160lb. cut-off, The thread says this does not happen often when they lower the limit. That is why we booked the first run.

Later

We got an immediate refund when we were "winded out" in Labadee. The weight limit for our excursion was 200 lbs. because of the high winds. (March 2008). If we ever go again, we will book the first

run. ;)

Did the Zip Line last week in Haiti. I weigh about 245 and it was a little windy in the afternoon. No one checked our weight, nor was there any mention of it. If you pay attention to the instructions your landing at the end won't be bad at all. Lots of fun, I highly recommend it.

On our Luni cruise last September, they did weigh the groups, and one guy was 203. The limit that day was lowered to 200. He was not allowed to zip. He did get his money back from the shore excursion desk.

Check out this thread I posted last summer just after the Labadee Zip Line opened.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=570658

Important Note: Nobody has died on the Labadee Zip Line. The recent death was on another zip line. I am not aware of any serious injuries on the Labadee line.

When the line first opened, the weight limit was 300 pounds and when my son rode it he weighed about 315. He told me they didn't check his weight.

IN the photo below, my son is in the yellow shirt. This is the landing area and there are springs and other gizmos to stop the riders. The main problem seems to be cable sag. Note how low the kid in the grey shirt is hanging. He could have hit the front of the landing platform (the blue area) easily. My son was even lower when he was hanging from the cable.

IMGP5970_716x537.jpg

Now look at the two girls in the photo below. They are smaller and lighter and hanging much higher.

IMGP5957.jpg

At the time I took these photos about a year ago, the cable farthest from the camera was not as tight as the others and was lower and closer to the landing platform.

From RCI's viewpoint, the issue is safety.

They don't want a rider to be able to hit the front of the landing platform with their feet.

This is one of those cases where it is better to be safe than sorry and I have great respect for RCI doing the "right thing" to protect the riders even if some of the heaver riders can't ride.

On our Luni cruise last September, they did weigh the groups, and one guy was 203. The limit that day was lowered to 200. He was not allowed to zip. He did get his money back from the shore excursion desk.

Ouch! The operator was VERY serious. So near, yet so far... We got booted off after the practice zip. (Wind). We were very sad to miss the big zipline.

An aside: I can't help but laugh at your location. Mostly because of our climate our real estate prices here in So Cal actually keep going up! (I'm a real estate broker).

Hey i am going on my first cruise which is the Freedom of the Seas. and i am going to Labadee too and is the zipline fun and worth it??

It's worth every penny. If you are near the weight limit you will probably go first ..... before the winds pick up. If the winds are on your back and the weight is exceeded there is no way to slow down enough to safely land. The margin is reasonable and the scale is accurate enough to pass the test in court. The operators have a great eye for those who are packed tight.

Enjoy :)

PS: would do it again and again and again if I could just go to the end of the line and start over.

Check out this thread I posted last summer just after the Labadee Zip Line opened.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=570658

Important Note: Nobody has died on the Labadee Zip Line. The recent death was on another zip line. I am not aware of any serious injuries on the Labadee line.

When the line first opened, the weight limit was 300 pounds and when my son rode it he weighed about 315. He told me they didn't check his weight.

IN the photo below, my son is in the yellow shirt. This is the landing area and there are springs and other gizmos to stop the riders. The main problem seems to be cable sag. Note how low the kid in the grey shirt is hanging. He could have hit the front of the landing platform (the blue area) easily. My son was even lower when he was hanging from the cable.

IMGP5970_716x537.jpg

Now look at the two girls in the photo below. They are smaller and lighter and hanging much higher.

IMGP5957.jpg

At the time I took these photos about a year ago, the cable farthest from the camera was not as tight as the others and was lower and closer to the landing platform.

From RCI's viewpoint, the issue is safety.

They don't want a rider to be able to hit the front of the landing platform with their feet.

This is one of those cases where it is better to be safe than sorry and I have great respect for RCI doing the "right thing" to protect the riders even if some of the heaver riders can't ride.

Boy, your son MUST be tall, because he surely is not fat. He does not look like he weighs 300+ pounds in that pic.

An aside: I can't help but laugh at your location. Mostly because of our climate our real estate prices here in So Cal actually keep going up! (I'm a real estate broker).

Its called the Sunshine Tax. And I wish it would just stop !!! ;)

• 9 years later...
leaving on RC cruise in january to western caribbean...want to try the dragons breath zip line however my husband is over 250 lbs around 285 will they let him zip?

Last time we were there, the limit was 275 lbs, and they did weigh people.