No shows after dinner? Really?

Sailor Gal

I think AYWD has a lot to do with that also. People can eat at all times now, so I believe what HAL is doing is having what would normally be the late dinner seating show while the normal early dinner seating would be going on. That means that, yes, you are right ... the last show would probably be over by about 9:00/9:30 ... somewhere around there.

But that doesn't mean there isn't entertainment around the ship. There's live music in most of the bars and lounges, and often something special going on up on the Lido Deck.

Until HAL does away with smoking in ALL the lounges, then the only public lounge with entertainment that is ENTIRELY SMOKEFREE currently is the main showroom. If there is no late show, that restricts the areas that nonsmokers can enjoy even more than it already is. :mad:

Until HAL does away with smoking in ALL the lounges, then the only public lounge with entertainment that is ENTIRELY SMOKEFREE currently is the main showroom.

That's not correct. The Piano Lounge is smoke-free. On the Vista ships the Ocean Bar is on both sides of the ship, separated by the atrium, with smoking on one side only; I expect the E-dam will have the same arrangement. The smoking area of the Explorers Lounge on the Rotterdam was replaced with a shop.

Shall I go on?

It was exactly the same on our Princess Christmas /New Year cruise, some of the late sitting shows started to move to the earlier time, which did not interest us as we like to stay on deck a bit later especially on long summer evening and not having to rush to get ready thats why we choose late sitting so after dinner we can go to the show and then its time to retire to our cabin . We were told that the reason for this was due to the ship arriving at ports early and the guest would be retiring to bed early, a load of nonsense, start early finish early which means all the entertainment staff finish early and they can enjoy the rest of the night. A lot of late sitting diners complained but nothing was done about it

That's not correct. The Piano Lounge is smoke-free. On the Vista ships the Ocean Bar is on both sides of the ship, separated by the atrium, with smoking on one side only; I expect the E-dam will have the same arrangement. The smoking area of the Explorers Lounge on the Rotterdam was replaced with a shop.

Shall I go on?

You are absolutly correct Ruth, the Piano Lounge is smoke-free...........and on the Vista ships there is a seperated Ocean Bar, which gives people that smoke and that don't smoke areas to be in that don't disturb each other because there is a atrium inbetween.

On the ships that still have the Explorers Lounge, there is no smoking in them either.

• 2 weeks later...

Shall I go on?

Well, the piano lounge on the Zuiderdam last August (2007) was smoky.

So, was someone smoking where they should not have been, or has the piano lounge only recently become a smokefree zone?

Is the Ocean Bar the one with tattered plasticky-orange chairs? No ambiance there, in our opinion.

What I didn't mention in my last post is that we really don't want to attend the main evening's entertainment (i.e. the showroom acts) prior to dining. We want to do that after dinner. If we don't have that to look forward to after dinner, then our choice for after-dinner entertainment is limited, especially as we don't want to smell any smoke at all.

Are the dancing areas smokefree? Perhaps that would be an acceptable alternative on some evenings.

Shall I go on?

Several lounges are smoke-free, including all of the smaller ones like the Piano Bar, Reuben's Lounge, etc.

In fact, I believe it's only part of the Ocean Bar and the Crow's Nest that have small smoking sections. I know this for a fact, because a friend told me that the woman in the piano bar on the Veendam wanted to meet me (I can't remember why ... maybe from this board). So I stopped in there one night to say hi and introduce myself. She invited me to come back later on in the evening (I think I was on the way to dinner when I stopped in) and I told her that I couldn't do that because that lounge didn't allow smoking. I told her it was for this reason that I generally visited the Ocean Bar after dinner, but maybe we could meet up there between her sets.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived