Azamara Journey 9/13/08 - Sorrento

miamibobk

We've done the Amalfi Drive, Pompeii, etc. but have not been to Capri. Azamara Journey is offering an excursion to Capri from Sorrento, but the prive of $180 seems outrageous to me. Does anyone know the cost and ease or difficulty of doing this on our own. Cost of boat or hydrofoil from/to Sorrento-Capri? Availability and cost of taxi's or vans with English speaking drivers to show us the island? Blue Grotto?

Any and all information appreciated.

A few years ago, we were on the Royal Princess and it docked in Sorrento. We took the hydrofoil on our own and it was a very nominal charge. We were on the same line as all the people taking the shore excursion with Princess.

Capri is very walkable and we had a pleasant time on our own.

A few years ago, we were on the Royal Princess and it docked in Sorrento. We took the hydrofoil on our own and it was a very nominal charge. We were on the same line as all the people taking the shore excursion with Princess.

Capri is very walkable and we had a pleasant time on our own.

Absolutely correct! Except I recall it is as a jetboat - the hydrofoil is for Naples.

Take the funicular to Anacapri, walk to Archo Naturelle.

I'm sure you will easily get a boat to the Blue Grotto from the harbour on Capri. I believe you may be able to get a bus from Anacapri to the grotto entrance and then finish in a rowboat but I'm not too sure about that.

Definitely Capri is a DIY job. It's a magic island!

MiamiBobk, we have an active roll-call for this sailing and some of us have already arranged some private tours. Here's a link to the roll-call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=689840

I have noticed that everything in Italy seems expensive, guess it's the old Dollar/Euro ratio. Actually, I wish I had the old Dollar/Euro ratio back...

Hope that's helpful.

Thanks all for your comments. We will definitely do Capri on our own.....unless we feel lazy that day and want to just veg in Sorrento.

Greeneg, I will post a comment on the rollcall.

We will definitely do Capri on our own.....unless we feel lazy that day and want to just veg in Sorrento.

Don't miss Capri. We have been twice and we will visit again in September. Go to Capri in the morning, back to the ship for a late lunch, then up the hill to Sorrento to veg before a late dinner.

The only thing worth swapping Capri for is Amalfi & Positano (maybe!).

We've done the Amalfi Drive, Pompeii, etc. but have not been to Capri. Azamara Journey is offering an excursion to Capri from Sorrento, but the prive of $180 seems outrageous to me. Does anyone know the cost and ease or difficulty of doing this on our own. Cost of boat or hydrofoil from/to Sorrento-Capri? Availability and cost of taxi's or vans with English speaking drivers to show us the island? Blue Grotto?

Any and all information appreciated.

We did Capri on our own being on the Celebrity Millenium back in 2004. Don't know what is included for $180 BUT SOUNDS VERY HIGH.

Just be sure to buy a round -trip ticket on the hydro as you may find yourself stranded in Capri if you don't. Most tickets from Capri back to the mainland are sold out by 10:00 in the morning. We anchored in Naples and

had to by a ticket in Capri to Positano and then take a taxi back to Naples

as we did not know and only bought a one way ticket.

Archived