A Few ???? About The Canary Islands

Could anybody tell me please.....

1. Are there Ho-HO buses at the ports when docking at Tenerife ( Santa Cruz), Gran Canaria (Las Palmas) and Lanzarote.

2. The distance for Santa Cruz to Puerto De La Cruz (Tenerife)

3. Who's been to Loro Park. Is public transport available between the above 2 places mentioned.

4. In Funchal is Monte within walking distance from where the ships dock.

5. How much do the wicker basket rides cost and just how BUMPY is it.

Any advice much appreciated.

1. Are there Ho-HO buses at the ports when docking at Tenerife ( Santa Cruz), Gran Canaria (Las Palmas) and Lanzarote.Is HO HO buses shuttle free buses? Well, in Tenerife we took a pre-reserved coach for about £14 each over the island to the white beaches of Playa da Americas, the trip was promoted a few days before we got there onboard at the port talk, but wasn't in the tour brochure. perhaps as it was a beach destination they wait for the weather forcast before arranging? Gran Canaria, you just walk across the road from the port. There is the town. there is a brand new shopping precinct to walk through - lots of lovely leather sandles at about £10 etc and electrical stuff -good.

4. In Funchal is Monte within walking distance from where the ships dock.You can walk from the dock into the town, or catch a free shuttle bus. On the promenade is the cable car station, buy your tickets here to go up to the beautifaul gardens of Monte and sledge down if you want. we got the cable car down as well, hubbie has a bit of a bad back, see my photos for photos of monte, cable car gran canaria etc.

Photos link : http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/1stCruiseCanariesOnArcadiaMay06

Are you going to Lisbon? ITS LOVELY TO SAIL IN UNDER THE BRIDGE, get up early to do it - see photos

Sue

Have a great time, I am off on my cruise tomorrow - 16nighter to Venice and Eastern Med - can't wait

1. Are there Ho-HO buses at the ports when docking at Tenerife ( Santa Cruz), Gran Canaria (Las Palmas) and Lanzarote.

2. The distance for Santa Cruz to Puerto De La Cruz (Tenerife)

3. Who's been to Loro Park. Is public transport available between the above 2 places mentioned.

4. In Funchal is Monte within walking distance from where the ships dock.

5. How much do the wicker basket rides cost and just how BUMPY is it.

Any advice much appreciated.

1.There are no HoHo buses, of the kind I suspect you mean. A pity because they can be very useful.

2. Pass

3. No

4. As Sue has said

5. You are not getting me on one of those:D:D

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Hi Sue & Dai,

Thankyou for your replies and information.

By Ho-Ho I meant a hop on hop off city tour bus like the red buses in London.

We are not stopping at Lisbon on this occasion. I have stopped there twice before. Jewel of the Seas in 04 and on the Navigator of the Seas last year. I agree Sue it's a great experience coming under the bridge and seeing the statue of Christ The Redeemer.

Not sure I could face the cable car :eek: but I can't wait to get a ride in the wicker basket.

Sue, Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Venice is on my 'must do one day' list.

Thanks once again,

Gail

Gail

Did you see my photos of the cable car? They looked very safe, new, well maintained and sturdy (and I've never heard of a accident yet, and they run all the time ) Thats what i told myself when i was in there!

Sue

Hi Blackpool Belle,

I can only answer one of your questions. The wicker sleigh costs between 20euro and 25euro depending on the amount of people they carry. You are also expected to tip the sleighers (you usually have two of them).

Kitchie :)

Hi Blackpool Belle,

I can only answer one of your questions. The wicker sleigh costs between 20euro and 25euro depending on the amount of people they carry. You are also expected to tip the sleighers (you usually have two of them).

Kitchie :)

Hi Kitchie,

Do they charge per basket then and not per person? About how much would you tip?

Hi Kitchie,

Do they charge per basket then and not per person? About how much would you tip?

Yes they charge per person it all depends on how many are in the sleigh. I didn't go on myself too chicken, but I have a photo of the prices and it is 20euros one person, 25 euros for two and 37.50 euros for three. No idea what you should tip.

Kitchie

• 3 weeks later...

Believe me, you won't have any option but to tip. :( When we did it a few years ago, the sleigher was snapping his fingers right in front of my face before the basket had even stopped looking for his tip. I think we tipped a couple of euros.

Now I'm used to tipping 15-20% with going to Vegas a lot, but I found his gesture rude and uncalled for.

Ithink that to get to the start of the wicker basket run you have to be up at Monte.

The easiest way to get to Monte is to take the cable car - though you wouldn't get me in it for any amount of money!! I am not sure how much it would cost to go up there by taxi as I guess it is a very long way round compared to the cable car.

I know that at one point in the last year or two the wicker basket rides have been stopped because of concerns about health and safety and the likes. I am not sure how long they stopped it for but, according to this link, they are running again now

http://www.madeira-web.com/PagesUK/monte-toboggan.html

Happy cruising,

Febee_71 :)

Archived