Walkie Talkies

mdeane

We will have two of our grandchilden with us in Alaska on a land visit and cruise in July. The ship being so large we are considering walkie talkies to keep in touch with them. Does anyone have any experience with this type of communication and if so any specific brand or specifics? Thanks.

We took a pair of good FRS/GMRS radios with us on the Conquest a few years ago. Below decks they were next to useless (too much interference) and ondeck there were too many others using the same frequencies. One family had a set of 2-way UHF radios that seemed to do okay but each radio ran about $200 from what the husband mentioned...

Cheers

Chris in VA

My husband and I always take radios when we cruise and they have worked wonderful on Celebrity, Cunard and Regent.

This will be our first trip to Alaska and we will be taking them with.

We found our least expensive ones work the best. Go figure. Anyway we use Midland LXT 314. under 50. for sure and we may have even got them on sale cheaper. I think at Cabela's or Pro Bass shop.

They have always worked great for us however never been to Alaska with them will try in Sept.

Pat

I used a set of Midlands last November and they were great! Ordered from Amazon for around $50. Ship to shore and around the ship, at most, we might have been a mile apart once. No problem with reception anywhere. We just had to get to volume right :confused:

Just thought of one more thing! Make sure to bring extra batteries! If you use them as much as we do we ended up one time having to buy batteries (that cost almost as much as the radios) now we just always bring extras.

Pat

Archived