tipping on private tours

I have booked a full day in Rome with a private company. Could anyone please give me advice on how much to tip? I am also using them for shuttles to/from the airport and to/from the port to our hotels. I possibly could have a different driver each time, so I would like to tip after each service. Thanks for your help!

We just got back - had several different private tour guides in several ports. We tipped 10% in most cases and 15% once - everyone seemed very happy with that amount. It seemed like they didn't expect anything and were very appreciative. We did invite the guides to join us for lunches but only one accepted for one day. It was an amazing lunch because he knew the owners and ordered for us.

Have a great time. Do you have room in your suitcase for me??? I can't wait to go back.........

Thanks to you both for your help. I have been planning this trip for a year now and it is right around the corner. I cant believe it! Sure there will be room for you.... possibly in my carry on!! :p

I have been told Europeans do not expect tips at all. Their system is totally different than ours. If you want to give a few extra EURO, go ahead, but I sure wouldn't go 15% or 20%, that's ridiculous. JMHO

I have been told Europeans do not expect tips at all. Their system is totally different than ours. If you want to give a few extra EURO, go ahead, but I sure wouldn't go 15% or 20%, that's ridiculous. JMHO

Not sure where you got that......but you were told wrong.

Tips were definately welcomed by all we encountered.

That being said.....the Europeans who are not in the service industry do feel Americans OVERTIP. They say we "spoil" the taxi drivers, the bellboys, the waiters etc..... but we saw many locals tipping.

When you book a private tour - the $$ goes to the tour company. Of course the guide gets paid.....but if you feel they enhanced your day/experience then tip. Same for a good waiter. Bellboy etc. just like you would here.

Looks like it's time to post my link to a tipping thread again: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=617195

If you read any of the guidebooks, like Rick Steves or Frommer's, you will discover that tipping is not the same in Europe as it is in the United States. In most restaurants, a service charge is included so it is proper to round up to the nearest euro. As far as tipping for private excursions, it is not necessary to tip as employees are well paid and their salaries are not based on tips as they may be in the States.

Nevertheless, it is best to read up on the customs and make your own decision. The link above is a good start.

I have em all.......Frommers, Fodors, Rick Steves, Karen Brown etc etc.... and while I find guidebooks a good place to start with research I don't hold every detail to be written in stone.....

what we saw while in Europe was definately tipping. Money left on the table after the bill had been paid. And this by locals.

After quite a conversation with our private guide in Rome (we spent the whole day with her) regarding living and working in Europe and the process of becoming a "licensed" guide (ie. the requirements etc.) we had no doubt other than to tip her.... our day wouldnt have even come close to being the experience it was without her.

JMHO. :)

I have em all.......Frommers, Fodors, Rick Steves, Karen Brown etc etc.... and while I find guidebooks a good place to start with research I don't hold every detail to be written in stone.....

what we saw while in Europe was definately tipping. Money left on the table after the bill had been paid. And this by locals.

After quite a conversation with our private guide in Rome (we spent the whole day with her) regarding living and working in Europe and the process of becoming a "licensed" guide (ie. the requirements etc.) we had no doubt other than to tip her.... our day wouldnt have even come close to being the experience it was without her.

And that's your choice to do so. I found just the opposite during my month in Italy. We never saw the locals tipping, as at a sit down restaurant, the service charge is included in the bill. If you choose to do so, that's fine, but it isn't the norm there.

I hired a private guide in Budapest and she was astounded when I was going to add the tip into the fee, she said "no no no, my charge includes all gratuities". And she wouldn't take it, she insisted I keep it, so I bought her a little gift in my shopping because I was so please with her services.

I'm sure nobody anywhere in the World is going to turn down extra money, if someone offers it to them. We Americans are used to our system of low salary for people in service jobs needing to supplement their income with tips. I have friends in Australia, Greece, Italy, Hungary and Holland and

they just don't tip like we do here in the States, period.

That said, it is still up to the individual what they feel they want to do.:)

Very true texancruzer, but I think you'll find the tipping is on a different scale. As a Brit, we generally do tip in cafe's bars, taxis etc, but it is certainly never a percentage, more a rounding up. In a bar for example, if we've paid with a 20 euro note for a bill of approx 15, when the change is brought, we'll probably leave a euro & the 'little bits' on the table. I believe the locals do the same. It is my understanding this money usually goes into a general pot shared by all the staff rather than the individual who served you.

As far as a guide is concerned, it is a bit of a tricky one. European guides would not really expect a tip from Italians, Germans etc, but I think they would probably expect one from US clients. In Italy too, I think the prices for a one day tour are pretty high..lol, we have just bought our son a car for the same price, so I certainly wouldn't tip 10% etc. Maybe 5 or 10 euros maximum.

Edit: to add. You will probably find the 'locals' that were tipping in Europe were visitors too. We don't tip in pubs etc at home, but tend to leave something if we are on holiday.

It does also depend on the port though. When we were in St Petersburg, because of the high cost of living etc, we left all our unused $$ & rubles with the guide & driver, which amounted to close to $100.

I would recommend that you consider the way of life in whatever port you are in & tip whatever you feel comfortable with, rather than feel there is an amount that you must produce.

Very true texancruzer, but I think you'll find the tipping is on a different scale.

No argument here. But many people who travel infrequently read the guide books and take each bit of advice literally. I feel each person should do what they feel is right for them.

As a Brit, we generally do tip in cafe's bars, taxis etc, but it is certainly never a percentage, more a rounding up. In a bar for example, if we've paid with a 20 euro note for a bill of approx 15, when the change is brought, we'll probably leave a euro & the 'little bits' on the table. I believe the locals do the same. It is my understanding this money usually goes into a general pot shared by all the staff rather than the individual who served you.

We did not tip as we would here in the states either. But we did leave something as a rule.

As far as a guide is concerned, it is a bit of a tricky one. European guides would not really expect a tip from Italians, Germans etc, but I think they would probably expect one from US clients. In Italy too, I think the prices for a one day tour are pretty high..lol, we have just bought our son a car for the same price, so I certainly wouldn't tip 10% etc. Maybe 5 or 10 euros maximum.

We tipped 10 euros for both of us while on ships tours.....chipped in to a "pot" with others on our "tour share" for our driver in Naples etc. Never any big huge amount.... but enough to show our appreciation for making our trip that much more special.

Edit: to add. You will probably find the 'locals' that were tipping in Europe were visitors too. We don't tip in pubs etc at home, but tend to leave something if we are on holiday.

Hopefully this doesnt get taken the wrong way again.... but I guess I don't understand the rationale behind this..... good service = enhanced experience = tip ??? whether at home or on holiday.

It does also depend on the port though. When we were in St Petersburg, because of the high cost of living etc, we left all our unused $$ & rubles with the guide & driver, which amounted to close to $100.

Whoa nellie......now thats a tip :eek:

I would recommend that you consider the way of life in whatever port you are in & tip whatever you feel comfortable with, rather than feel there is an amount that you must produce.

Somehow my post got twisted around and folks thought I was saying you must tip a certain amount etc.... This is not the case. But to say that tipping does not happen in Europe - well - from what we experienced that is not the case either.

We're leaving on June 25 and have several private tours lined up. In all of the correspondence I've received from the guides they tell me that the price does not include the tip. So, in my mind, that is their way of asking for one.

Hopefully this doesnt get taken the wrong way again.... but I guess I don't understand the rationale behind this..... good service = enhanced experience = tip ??? whether at home or on holiday.

Lol Texancruzer, I won't take it the wrong way...it came out pretty screwed up really. I think what I meant was that we just don't tip in pubs etc here in the UK at all, but when I'm on holiday abroad, we do tip a little in bars ..sometimes.... probably because of our shambling attempts at another language, but it is never much..just the loose change really & it depends on how pleasant/helpful they`are. You are of course right, it doesn't make sense at all, but then again I'm a woman..I'll just plead the 5th.;)

We're leaving on June 25 and have several private tours lined up. In all of the correspondence I've received from the guides they tell me that the price does not include the tip. So, in my mind, that is their way of asking for one.

I'd agree, it does look as if they are asking for a tip. I have a few lined up too but the only one to mention the price didn't include tips was a tour company in Egypt.

I think European tour operators are smart enough to know that in the United States, we tip and usually do so generously. Therefore, despite the fact that they probably don't mention the word "tips" to their European customers, they include the "does not include tips" line in correspondence with those likely to tip. This should not be construed to mean you must tip. Tipping, in my opinion, is always at the discretion of the customer and should not be expected. However, some folks disagree with me, which is why I recommend reading the thread I referred to earlier (including the links posted in it) and making your own personal decision.

Have a great cruise!

Karen

Thanks for the very interesting information. I too am doing several private

guides and the language is the same about "tips not included". I assumed

you need to tip and another thread mentioned 10 to 20 %. With the

very very high price of private tours and very very low price of USD$ to

euros I am thinking I need to adopt a more european attitude.

I don't consider myself cheap at all but on the other hand I don't have money to throw around, I have saved all year for this trip and while if the

sevice is good I will, in all likely hood still give a tip, it will be more on the

European standard.

On board the ship is of course a different matter. Those employees depend on their tips!

My DH and I were discussing this subject this morning. In the U.S. we definitely fall into the category of overtippers, however we are truly struggling with the concept of tipping 10% for guides in Rome, Greece etc.

Tour Guides are different than tour drivers. A tour with only a driver is significantly cheaper than with a tour guide. The Guides seem to be well paid by any standard.

We are a family of 5 and some of our tours range in price from $350 to as much as $1200 , depending on the strength of the euro at the time of our trip. :eek:

Honestly, what are you tipping 10% of? and who are you tipping, the driver , the guide, both???:confused:

I can assure you we are not tipping anyone, no matter how informative or entertaining they are, $120!!

I think European tour operators are smart enough to know that in the United States, we tip and usually do so generously. Therefore, despite the fact that they probably don't mention the word "tips" to their European customers, they include the "does not include tips" line in correspondence with those likely to tip. This should not be construed to mean you must tip. Tipping, in my opinion, is always at the discretion of the customer and should not be expected. However, some folks disagree with me, which is why I recommend reading the thread I referred to earlier (including the links posted in it) and making your own personal decision.

Have a great cruise!

Karen

Interesting point Host Karen.

I mentionned earlier that although I had arranged several private tours, only one, in Egypt, had mentionned tips were not included. I assumed that was because that was the way of life there and they rely on tips. (We will of course tip in Egypt as we know they depend on their tips...I think that is really what I meant before. We don't tip here for good service, that is just not our mentality, we tip when we know people rely on/need tips to supplement their income.)

However, I have contacted several guides in Egypt, and only one mentionned tipping under 'not included'. Interestingly, in their request email I had used a dot com email address and had neglected to mention we were a British family as I usually do. I wonder?

lately tips are less spread than once actually. we usually leave some euros. of course not percentage.let's say that if u want to leave a tip for your guide and driver 5 euros is a good tip. at bars we usually don't leave it but at restaurant we do even at home ( it depends by the habits, i prefer to leave tips, usually rude people don't leave anything!). i leave tips even to the guy that carries pizzas at home heheh. when i go to hotels i leave tiops at the receptionists, barman, maids that clean the room, waiters in the dinding room and maitre if he's there. if there is a woman director of the hotel sometimes i bring flowers. i usually spread tips like this: at the beginnning 5 euros at barman, maids, waiters. 10-15euros at receptionst( if it's just one 15 if they are many 10) 10 for the maitre. the same when i go away. if i stay there a fortnight i leave tips to waiters and maids at least twice a weak ( 5euros). receptionists always before leaving. maitre at the end too usually. sometimes we leave tips also for the chef if it's a hotel where we go usually and they know us. some people prefer leaving 50euros at the beginning to the waiter for all the period. this is how a classy person is supposed to behave. many people don't leave tips anymore this is why a lot of guides and waiters or so on don't expect tips anymore

Archived