Do I need a camera with a flash?

LauraRN

I will be cave tubing in Belize in March 2005. I have purchased a few disposable water cameras at the local Walmart (:) yes it's early, but I'm excited!). The cameras don't have a flash. I have read that the pictures inside the caves wont turn out very well, but is there that much to photograph in the actual caves? I have found the flash cameras on the Internet, but is it worth the shipping charges and hassle to make the purchase?

I recently was cave tubing in Belize and also took the cameras you have already bought. Let me assure you that pictures inside the cave will not come out with these cameras. I couldn't resist trying!:) What I was trying to take pictures of was some of the rock formations. They have names for them, like "Bald Eagle", "Mother Breastfeeding", "Mary Holding the Baby Jesus." They are really cool to see, but I'm not sure if any picture would do them justice. Anyway, it's up to you whether you want to spend the extra time and effort on trying to capture these. And actually, the ones that had names were at the very beginning where we first went inside the cave. Other than those few, there is nothing else to photograph inside the caves. We mainly took ours to have pictures of us cave tubing which you obviously can't do without water proof cameras. Hope that helps!

I just laughed out loud reading your post because that was exactly what I did! I had to know that trying to shine my head lamp on a rock formation and taking a picture with a flashless disposable camera was not going to turn out positively, but like you said, I couldn't resist trying!!!!LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Since we do alot of snokelling I bought a cheap underwater camera. It was about 70 dollars.

It has a flash.

When I took pics in the cave, most of them didn't turn out anyway, cause the flash just bounced off the cave walls and made a big light.

I got a few cool pictures but you have to know what you're doing. YOu have to figure out what distance your object needs to be.

Personally, if you're too busy taking pics in the cave, fumbling with getting the flash button ready..etc. it's just not worth the experience.

You can still take really nice pics at the openings of the caves.

• 2 weeks later...
When I took pics in the cave, most of them didn't turn out anyway, cause the flash just bounced off the cave walls and made a big light.

I had the opposite problem, even with the flash I got nothing but dark pictures. I couldn't tell what I was taking pictures of at all.

Yes, there's some beautiful rock formations to take pictures of (and a gorgeous mini-waterfall!), but unless you've got a high-dollar waterproof camera with a flash (and know how to use it!), don't waste your money, they won't come out.

It really doesn't make any difference what kind of camera you have, if there isn't any backlighting or any other light source, black caves will be just that, black caves or just a burst of light from the flash. I think a flash is still a good idea, especially when walking through the rain forest where light is limited. There are some disposables that have 800asa film and a flash which is the best for low light situations. I heard Walmart has a vacation pack that has an underwater (800-flash) and just 2 flash cameras. Might want to check it out.

Archived