Hiking boots / shoes: waterproof or spray?

sharp_cruiser

I am considering getting some boots or day hiking boots or shoes for this trip. I am not going anything extremely vigorous so I don't need something extremely expensive.

My question is, can I get a decent day hiking boot, and use the waterproof spray, or is it critical to get waterproof boots?

Just for reference, we are taking the Denali shuttle (might get off for a bit, but no organized hikes), Kenai Fjords trip, short hike on Chilkoot trail, and some short hiking in Ketchikan.

If it is pouring buckets, I doubt I will be on the trails for long. I am thinking more of protection from rain showers or muddy areas. Thanks!

Also, any recommendations of types of shoes? I'd been looking at LL Bean, but it is worth it to go someplace like REI?

IMO, they only must with shoes is that they are comfortable with good soles that provide sufficient support. Be sure to break them in well before your trip. Goretex / waterproofed shoes are great, but as you say, it depends on what you will be doing.

I strongly recommend REI. They generally have good products and knowledgeable people. They take the time to size you and have sample rocks and hills you can climb on to test the shoe. They are also having a sale right now. :)

Also, give thought to socks. They make a difference.

Bottom line - don't shortcut the shoes! If your feet are uncomfortable, so are you! :)

I agree that shoes are probably the most important wardrobe investment for an Alaskan vacation. I'm not super ambitious - I didn't plan to be out in pouring rain, but light rain/drizzle seemed like a frequent condition for AK and I didn't want that to stop me. I wanted to be able to enjoy walking around or standing outside on deck when it was drizzling. I got these shoes at REI and was very happy with them. I wear them for local hikes and Audubon walks, too.

http://www.rei.com/product/740580

We have had good results with the Merrill Moab vents. We did not spray them or the

like. As we are not the type to be hiking up and down streams, etc. If you like

you could spray them with water proof spray.

But the hiking shoes should work good for you all.

I agree that shoes are probably the most important wardrobe investment for an Alaskan vacation. I'm not super ambitious - I didn't plan to be out in pouring rain, but light rain/drizzle seemed like a frequent condition for AK and I didn't want that to stop me. I wanted to be able to enjoy walking around or standing outside on deck when it was drizzling. I got these shoes at REI and was very happy with them. I wear them for local hikes and Audubon walks, too.

http://www.rei.com/product/740580

I use a New Balance walking shoe similar to the above photo and listing. Works for me! Whatever shoe/boot you get be sure that they are not slippery on wet pavements and decks.

I love to walk long distances and often do so. I used to wear heavy hiking boots but have gone to lighter models over the years. In cold situations I wear trekkers which give my ankles protection without weighing me down.

I don't use a waterproof spray, but do make sure that I change to dry shoes and socks as soon as possible when coming indoors.

If you are diabetic or have other health issues that affect your feet, consult your health professional before buying your shoes for Alaska.

I ordered a few different styles. I wear a size 10.5 Narrow, so I can never find my size in the local stores. I did not like the hiking boots that were mid-high. I just could not get used to that feel. I ended up with a waterproof pair that I really like. Here is the link:

http://www.shoebuy.com/dunham-waffle-stomper-terrastryder-low-mow613/108314/249189?cm_mmc=pricegrabber-_-none-_-none-_-none

Always a difficult topic. What works for one doesn't always work for another.

Make certain whatever shoe you use, that if it is waterproof it needs to be breathable. If your foot is wet because the moisture can't wick out you'll still be uncomfortable and the shoes will need to be dried out before wearing again.

Thanks for the tips and links. Of course comfort is #1, but I had been curoius about how necessary the 100% waterproof shoes were. I will have to get something a little sturdier and with better traction that just my tennis shoes, and hopefully I can use them again when I (fingers crossed) get to Hawaii next year and do some light hiking around there!

• Administrators

Photodoodle referred you above to one model of Keen's -- I just bought this one -- http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7329312/c/106072.html (but paid less for them at a local store). There were comfortable as Keen's always are for me, waterproof, breathable, offer good support because even though they are not a boot they are more of a "high top" shoe, and they are super lightweight at 15.3 oz.

Archived