EURODAM VT Cat cabins?

Paul123

I see on the Eurodam deck plan that on the Observation Deck at the top of the ship, there are some VT category Verandah cabins. They show virtually no balcony at all. They are priced the same as the VF verandah cabins on the veranda deck. I am in a quandary as to which category to book. Does anyone have a view on this matter?

I'm sure that the premium your paying for is the view although I'm not so sure I would want have my cabin up so high !!

Yes you are right....it's a bit high in the air and would swing quite nicely in a less than favourable sea state. The layout also suggests a very small balcony so yes I agree it's going to be the VF for us.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I booked one of these for a Baltic Cruise June, 2009. I'm waiting to hear from people who actually get one, how small the balcony really is. I love the location and can live with a small balcony, as long as there is enough room for 2 of us to sit out there, don't need to lay out like on a lounger for the Baltic.

from what i have read on line these cabins have a bowed out wall of floor to ceiling glass and no balcony.......very creepy to me. the glass literately curves out of the cabin. that combined with rough weather could ruin a nice vacation.

They are advertised as Veranda Stateroom so they have to have some form of balcony, otherwise wouldn't they have to be listed as Oceanview?:confused:

Yes but look at the layout of these cabins in the deck plan and compare them to the other veranda cabins further below. On the below cabins the veranda is clearly shown but with the VT category little can be seen. Interesting!! Anyway I have now just booked a VF cabin in preference to the VT selection and they are the same price. My wife in particular was concerned at being so far forward and so high as we are taking the April transatlantic crossing.

I think these may be the cabins that you are referring to on sports decks behind the Crows Nest...their are 10 of them.

We are booked on the 28 day TA cruise on the 25th April 2009 in an SS cabin and really look forward to hearing reviews from the 1st passengers that will sail this year on the Eurodam.

Cristianophoto-scalloped-balconies.jpg

I think these may be the cabins that you are referring to on sports decks behind the Crows Nest...their are 10 of them.

We are booked on the 28 day TA cruise on the 25th April 2009 in an SS cabin and really look forward to hearing reviews from the 1st passengers that will sail this year on the Eurodam.

Cristianophoto-scalloped-balconies.jpg

Yes...well done that's them. We are on the same cruise but have decided against those particular cabins.

Go for the bigger balcony. Being that high and that forward would be uncomfortable if the seas get rough.

I did entertain the notion of booking one also, but settled on a midship category V.

For a TA I would agree as seas can get quite rough. For a Baltic cruise, though they should be good. Rooms are described as having "compact verandas". Anxious to hear comments once the ship starts sailing.

from what i have read on line these cabins have a bowed out wall of floor to ceiling glass and no balcony.......very creepy to me. the glass literately curves out of the cabin. that combined with rough weather could ruin a nice vacation.

HAL changed these staterooms twice as the ship was being built:

Initially, they were to have a solid wall of fixed floor-ceiling glass.

Then, they were to have a French Balcony with sliding glass doors...

...then they added the tiny crescent balconies.

I believe there might be a little more interior space than a standard V(x) - but we won't know for certain until we inspect the cabins this summer...

• 1 month later...
I booked one of these for a Baltic Cruise June, 2009. I'm waiting to hear from people who actually get one, how small the balcony really is. I love the location and can live with a small balcony, as long as there is enough room for 2 of us to sit out there, don't need to lay out like on a lounger for the Baltic.

We have booked 11002 for Oct 2009 as these cabins and the location is appealing. We too are waiting to hear from those that stay in one of these. Here's the latest from the HAL website regarding the VT and VQ cabins:

VT*

*Spa Staterooms. Relaxation…privacy…

serenity. These are the hallmarks of the

ms Eurodam’s spacious new Spa Staterooms,

located on the Panorama and Observation decks,

and include special amenities

Once I saw some better photos of the "compact veranda's" I bailed on the cruise and the cabin. There's another thread on this topic with some better photos. The "verandas" are not big enough to sit out on, you can just barely get out of the cabin and stand. Not much better than an oceanview, IMO. I'd opt for a full veranda.

On another thread, I believe someone commented that these are Juliet balconies, as in Romeo and Juliet. Rather small and, as mentioned above, not large enough for a chair. So, I suppose one's decision to book/not book these would be a combination of one's desire for location and whether or not one sits out on the verandah.

It is not curved class. It will be a juliet type balcony. Large enough to get fresh air but I doubt large enough for a chair (but I could be wrong).

It is not curved class. It will be a juliet type balcony. Large enough to get fresh air but I doubt large enough for a chair (but I could be wrong).

Jade -

You are correct as always.

ObDeckVerandah.jpg

(VT-Category Curved Balcony)

Jade -

ObDeckVerandah.jpg

Brian

For goodness sake how did you sneak up there and get that picture??

Paul

Jade -

ObDeckVerandah.jpg

Brian, I never knew you thought I was always correct :)

I have one of these booked for a 3 night cruise. I booked when it was priced as an ocean view. Even on a longer cruise, it is perfect for me. I'm the one who never sits on the balcony, just goes out there to take photos. My DH thinks I waste money on balcony staterooms.

I also always liked to be in the "PH" (normally the room at the top). All the condos I have owned in the past ten years have always been on the top floor with the skylights.

• 3 weeks later...
Brian, I never knew you thought I was always correct :)

I have one of these booked for a 3 night cruise. I booked when it was priced as an ocean view. Even on a longer cruise, it is perfect for me. I'm the one who never sits on the balcony, just goes out there to take photos. My DH thinks I waste money on balcony staterooms.

I also always liked to be in the "PH" (normally the room at the top). All the condos I have owned in the past ten years have always been on the top floor with the skylights.

We are going with 11002 and feel the same way. We've had bigger balconies and chose the VT for location (top deck and forward) and because it is a spa stateroom. I read that the balcony measures 42 inches at its widest point and that there is enough room for a small table and 2 small chairs? Here's the latest from Holland America regarding these staterooms:

. 6/18/08 - ms Eurodam Offers Top-Deck Spa Staterooms

Holland America Line’s new ms Eurodam is taking guests to new heights with 56 luxury Spa Staterooms located on the two highest decks of the Signature-class ship. The 2,104-guest Signature-class Eurodam is the first ship in Holland America Line’s fleet to offer spa accommodations.

The Spa Staterooms, so named because of their proximity to the Greenhouse Spa and Salon and special in-room spa amenities, offer their own ambiance, providing unmatched relaxation, privacy and serenity. Located on the Panorama and Observation decks, each room reflects a nature theme with walls of soft earth-tone hues, bright, fresh green accent colors echo nature’s own, organic, fern-like patterns adorn the bed runner and pillows, and charcoal-colored carpeting ties together all the elements. A water feature in each stateroom provides a natural, soothing ambient background sound.

“The spa experience is more compelling for today’s premium vacation experience,” said Richard D. Meadows, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest services. “Our spa staterooms are a result of this trend and we expect them to be popular as more and more of our guests seek the ultimate in relaxation.”

Amenities in the Spa Staterooms include organic cotton bathrobes and slippers, a Burmese teak mat for bath and shower and an invigorating showerhead, as well as a Body Buff Loofah Mitt and aroma therapy bath salts. In addition to standard stateroom furnishings, Spa Staterooms also include an iPod® docking station, a Yoga mat, a pedometer for use aboard ship, Fitness DVD, a no-host minibar stocked with specialty waters, a cut-fruit tray at embarkation and a spa concierge to book treatments.

Nightly turn-down pillow gifts also reflect a natural theme and include organic chocolate truffles, orchids and a line of chocolates called Elements, herbal infused chocolates blending delicious Belgian chocolate with specialty herbs known for their calming and relaxing benefits – a delicious alternative to help guests sleep sweetly.

Guests booking any of the Spa Staterooms may order exclusive spa stateroom-only packages in advance or during the cruise for Greenhouse Spa and Salon services. Four packages are include Body of Indulgence with a hot stone massage and facial bamboo massage for $256 and Skin Renewal with facial rejuvenation acupuncture and marine facial for $289. Other packages feature His Sanctuary with grooming treatment and shave and deep tissue massage for $189 and Bliss for Two couple’s cabana massages for $242.

An in-room dining breakfast card features a selection of Greenhouse Spa breakfast items including fresh-squeezed orange or grapefruit juice, fresh carrot juice, an inviting plate of fresh fruit, healthy bran muffins, a combination of fresh fruit, yogurt and Kashi granola, a selection of eggbeater or egg white omelets, turkey bacon, chicken apple sausage or an organic soy meatless patty.

An all-day room service menu offers Greenhouse Spa selections that vary daily based on selections in the main dining room. Guests may also order from the standard room service menu.

The 56 Spa Staterooms include two Superior Verandah Suites, 36 Deluxe Verandah Outside Staterooms, four Large Ocean-view Staterooms and four Large Inside Staterooms on Panorama Deck. The 10 Spa Staterooms on Observation Deck are all Deluxe Verandah Outside rooms with floor-to-ceiling windows and scalloped verandahs.

Enjoy!!

• 5 years later...
On another thread, I believe someone commented that these are Juliet balconies, as in Romeo and Juliet. Rather small and, as mentioned above, not large enough for a chair. So, I suppose one's decision to book/not book these would be a combination of one's desire for location and whether or not one sits out on the verandah.

Now I am really confused. Is there or is there not room for two chairs on VT cabin balconies on deck 11 of the Eurodam, as of 2013?

I was on the Eurodam on the 11/24/13 cruise and had cabin VT11006. Yes, you could put a very small chair on the balcony. The practical answer, however, is that there is no room for chairs. At 30" deep at the widest point, its best for standing only. If you want lots of room, book a Retreat Cabana on the Eurodam.