P&Os other new ship.

humpy

While we were on ventura maiden cruise the other week we were told by a well travelled cruiser that the next new ship will be called the canbera does anyone else know anything about this.

Hello again, lots of rumours on other boards about the name of the new ship. Canberra has been mentioned a few times as a possible candidate, however, INHO, I dont think they'll use that. That would really upset quite a few people. You must have met someone on a ship somewhere that still compares Canberra to the present fleet.

I would think the new ships name would also start with a V as shell be sister to Ventura, but then again, maybe your right.

We'll soon find out.

Jimmy

Canberra wouldnt be a good choice of name! mainly because the Canberra is a Liner much like QE2 and Victoria and Mary 2, whereas Ventura is a Cruise ship! ...

I would think the new ships name would also start with a V as shell be sister to Ventura, Jimmy

we were at a cruise club night out a few weeks ago and the P&O rep on the night said that they fully intend to build sister ships to the ventura..

ie.. identical ships apart from name! when you think about it, they are co-owned/owners with princess and if i'm not wrong they have a number of identical ships in the ventura mould..

we were at a cruise club night out a few weeks ago and the P&O rep on the night said that they fully intend to build sister ships to the ventura..

ie.. identical ships apart from name! when you think about it, they are co-owned/owners with princess and if i'm not wrong they have a number of identical ships in the ventura mould..

The next ship is due to be launched Spring 2010. We are keeping a look out for it as we have some special dates that year.

• 2 weeks later...
Canberra wouldnt be a good choice of name! mainly because the Canberra is a Liner much like QE2 and Victoria and Mary 2, whereas Ventura is a Cruise ship! ...

The difference between a liner and cruise ship is not how the thing is built - but the itineraries it is scheduled for.

A liner takes people from one place to another - ie: New York to England or Sydney to Los Angeles.

A cruise ship takes people in a big circle - departing from the same port where the journey ends.

Quite frankly, QM2 and QE2 are more often operated as cruise ships than they are liners.

Hello again, lots of rumours on other boards about the name of the new ship. Canberra has been mentioned a few times as a possible candidate, however, INHO, I dont think they'll use that. That would really upset quite a few people. You must have met someone on a ship somewhere that still compares Canberra to the present fleet.

I would think the new ships name would also start with a V as shell be sister to Ventura, but then again, maybe your right.

We'll soon find out.

Jimmy

Maybe the Victor Meldrew would be a good name :rolleyes:

From what I have been able to gather, in future all new cruise ships will be based on the Ventura/Independance type, large & brash. This is what the market is dictating and soon small ships will be a thing of the past, even with the current economic climate.

Archived