IMPORTANT about 4/27 Spirit Cruise!

ilovewdw

We just got back Saturday from our vacation. I just wanted to let everyone know who was on my cruise...my son got sick on the trip. He came home and got sicker. Turns out he has COXSACKIE, and got it on the trip. The doctor said he most probably got it in the pool...he was in the Buccaneer pool (briefly because it was so cold), the hottub by the Kids Pool and the Splashers pool at the Atlantis.

I just wanted everyone to be aware...make sure your kids are SANITIZING constantly!

COXSACKIE

i'm gonna have to google this. it sounds strange!

ok...just googled it. sounds pretty bad:

Coxsackie (virus) is a cytolytic virus of the Picornaviridae family, an enterovirus (a group containing the polioviruses, coxsackieviruses, and echoviruses). There are 61 non-polio enteroviruses that can cause disease in humans, of which 23 are Coxsackie A viruses (6 are Coxsackie B viruses). Enteroviruses are the second most common viral infectious agents in humans (after the rhinoviruses).

now i'm not a parent...so i'll take all the flaming once i say this. if you take little johnny/jane with you and they are still in diapers...keep them out of the pool. i don't give a rat's arse if they have those swimming diapers...it won't hold in loose stool.

Here ya go

The most well known Coxsackie A disease is hand, foot and mouth disease (unrelated to foot and mouth disease), a common childhood illness which affect mostly children aged 10 or under[1], often produced by Coxsackie A16. In most cases infection is asymptomatic or causes only mild symptoms. In others, infection produces short-lived (7-10 days) fever and painful blisters in the mouth (a condition known as herpangina), on the palms and fingers of the hand, or on the soles of the feet. There can also be blisters in the throat, or on or above the tonsils. Adults can also be affected. The rash, which can appear several days after high temperature and painful sore throat, can be itchy and painful, especially on the hands/fingers and bottom of feet.

Other diseases include acute haemorrhagic conjunctivitis (A24 specifically), herpangina, and aseptic meningitis (both Coxsackie A and B viruses). Coxsackie B viruses also cause infectious myocarditis, infectious pericarditis, and pleurodynia.

[edit] Treatment

OMG :eek: - is it Nate- is he, OK? None of my boys have shown any signs of being sick. Not on the ship and not since we got home. But they hand wash constantly- I'm a little complusive about it.

Yes, it's Nate! He will be fine, he just hasn't been able to go to school all week and he is REALLY upset about it. He just LOVES school so much! I was nuts on the ship about sanitizing and washing with soap...I guess sometimes it just doesn't matter. I'm sure he got it in one of the pools or hot tubs...even at the Atlantis, who knows?:confused:

Wow thanks, can you tell us what it is???? Leaving on the Spirit Sunday.

I see you googled it...it is pretty bad. But nothing they can really do for it. My son had a fever for a few days and has sores (that look like canker sores) all over his mouth and throat. He hasn't eaten since Friday, while on the cruise. Saturday before we left, we went to Raffles and he just couldn't eat. He said he had a sore in his mouth that hurt too much. It wasn't until I looked in his mouth on Sunday night, when he had a high fever and was still not eating...that I realized the sores were all over. I had no idea what it was, but took him to the doctor first thing Monday morning.

Wow thanks, can you tell us what it is???? Leaving on the Spirit Sunday.

Slot~

You should be fine. Most adults have already been exposed to this disease and have developed an immunity.

ILoveWDW~ I'm so sorry about your son:( When I was a teacher, I saw outbreaks of Coxsackie all the time. Spreads like wildfire through young children. He might have caught it from a playmate at the kid's crew or perhaps from one of the pools as your dr suggested.

I'm sending lots of well wishes your direction for a speedy recovery:)

Slot~

You should be fine. Most adults have already been exposed to this disease and have developed an immunity.

ILoveWDW~ I'm so sorry about your son:( When I was a teacher, I saw outbreaks of Coxsackie all the time. Spreads like wildfire through young children. He might have caught it from a playmate at the kid's crew or perhaps from one of the pools as your dr suggested.

I'm sending lots of well wishes your direction for a speedy recovery:)

Thank you so much! His fever is gone, but he's still complaining about the sores. I'm just not sure when to send him back to school. He was HYSTERICAL crying this morning about how he missed school. :(

I know what that is because we have a town called that just south of where I live.

No wonder that sounded familiar to me. I see the sign for that town when we drive up the NY Thruway.

We just got back Saturday from our vacation. I just wanted to let everyone know who was on my cruise...my son got sick on the trip. He came home and got sicker. Turns out he has COXSACKIE, and got it on the trip. The doctor said he most probably got it in the pool...he was in the Buccaneer pool (briefly because it was so cold), the hottub by the Kids Pool and the Splashers pool at the Atlantis.

I just wanted everyone to be aware...make sure your kids are SANITIZING constantly!

Thanks for the warning. I really appreciate it. My DGD spent a lot of time in that hot tub. I feel so bad for your son. I really hope he's better soon.

We were on a crowded elevator on the ship and when we got off DGD said to look at her dirty shoes. :eek: I was hoping what I was seeing was chocolate cake. I took them off her with rubber gloves I had brought with me & it was poop & not her's! I was gagging & my DH couldn't believe I work in a hospital in Labor & Delivery & I was gagging like that. Those shoes went right into a plastic bag & into the garbage. Nasty!

Pediatrician here. Hand, foot, and mouth can be caused by several viruses. It's most likely transmitted by touch, same as colds. Usually not pleasant but not dangerous.

Fact is, anytime you have so many people in close quarters, touching the same surfaces (think bannisters), especially when a lot of them are children, you're going to have viral infections circulating. Just a risk of cruising, school, daycare, life!

Hope your son is feeling better soon.

Pediatrician here. Hand, foot, and mouth can be caused by several viruses. It's most likely transmitted by touch, same as colds. Usually not pleasant but not dangerous.

Fact is, anytime you have so many people in close quarters, touching the same surfaces (think bannisters), especially when a lot of them are children, you're going to have viral infections circulating. Just a risk of cruising, school, daycare, life!

Hope your son is feeling better soon.

Thank you so much...I think I spoke too soon. His fever came back today. It wasn't high, it was only 100.3, but I just don't think I can send him back to school yet. :( It's breaking his heart.

Archived