DISCOUNTS FOR THE 55's AND OVER

On the certain selected cruises where RCI offer discounts for the over 55's, what if you are 55, 4 days into the cruise. Would you be allowed the discount or do you have to be 55 at the time of sailing/booking?

You MUST BE 55 years or older on the day you board the ship to qualify.

When you book at a SR rate it states on the booking form that you will be asked to provide proof at the time of check-in.

Same applies to residency discounts.

Can't you change to a week later if the benefit is enough to do that?

Thanks for putting me right on that. This doesn't apply to me until August. I am on the Indy 2 weeks today but in case I could squeeeeeze another cruise in during the school summer holidays I thought I would enquire.

Aprille, Lucky lucky you living only 35 miles from a cruise terminal.

It is a six hour train ride for me. Perhaps it's just as well I don't live near Southampton or I would be permanantly broke :D

Aprille, Lucky lucky you living only 35 miles from a cruise terminal.
I felt a lot luckier when RCCL had year-round sailings from here. Now we only have Voyager Dec thru Apr. :( Oh well, better than nothing, I suppose. :p ;)
Nothing was mentioned to us about a discounted rate when we reserved our cruise for 2009. We booked through AAA. How much is the discount? Could it have been subtracted before we heard the final price?
The discount is only available on select cruises and even then sometimes only on select cabin categories. To find out if your cruise is offering one, go to RCCL website and do a pretend booking checking that you are 55 or over. Once you get to the cabin categories and prices there will be a separate line for 55 & over discount, if available. And, yes, it can be applied after booking if it does become available.

I'm at the age where I qualify for the discount. However, I've never gotten it, because I book extremely early & they don't usually apply until closer to sail date. On my last cruise, the price for my cabin category went up so much in price that with the Senior or Military discount it would have cost me $200 (270 Military) PP more for a lesser cabin guarantee.

They only start these discounts when they see it isn't going to sell out without them.

Thanks for the tip, Aprille. I will try a "straw" reservation and see what the final cost it. I suppose it doesn't pay to be too early in reserving a cabin. I will ask our travel agent about the discount, though. Every little bit helps.

Thanks for the tip, Aprille. I will try a "straw" reservation and see what the final cost it. I suppose it doesn't pay to be too early in reserving a cabin. I will ask our travel agent about the discount, though. Every little bit helps.

Check for state residency discounts too as they come up from time to time on select sailings. Many times these discounts will appear right before or after final payment, but you can often get your rate converted (if promotion(s) are applicable to your sailing date) to the new lower fare or possible OBC, UNLESS it has the tag on it of "For New Bookings Only" which is becoming very common in the cruise industry now !

Persistance in watching those rates may pay for a drink or two if you are lucky enough to find NEW discounts offered ! :D

Also keep in mind that only one person in the cabin needs to be 55 or older to qualify for the discount. It always pays to keep an eye on the prices to see if a discount comes up on your sailing as they do not usually put senior rates on until 5-6 months before the sailing. As previously stated this may or may not be a better price than what you have depending on when you booked your cruise.

Nothing was mentioned to us about a discounted rate when we reserved our cruise for 2009. We booked through AAA. How much is the discount? Could it have been subtracted before we heard the final price?

Senior discounts are not offered on every cruise so that could be the reason for the fact that none was mentioned when you booked. You might check the RCI website to see if there is such a discount now. If so, and unless the discount is specifically restricted to new bookings, contact your TA and request that they apply the discount to your booking.:)

Two things:

1...Check often for senior/state/military discounts as they sometimes pop up and disappear. When you do see it and it is cheaper than your original booking call.

2...I did received refund on senior discount although it said "for new bookings only". If one agent says no call again. It's worth the few minutes to call and get $ back.

When you book at a SR rate it states on the booking form that you will be asked to provide proof at the time of check-in.

Same applies to residency discounts.

Can't you change to a week later if the benefit is enough to do that?

They don't offer the 55 discount on every cruise. Darn! Only on selected sailings.

I'm at the age where I qualify for the discount. However, I've never gotten it, because I book extremely early & they don't usually apply until closer to sail date. On my last cruise, the price for my cabin category went up so much in price that with the Senior or Military discount it would have cost me $200 (270 Military) PP more for a lesser cabin guarantee.

They only start these discounts when they see it isn't going to sell out without them.

It is not like that. Use the internet. I have booked cruise for October 2008 with Royal Caribbean and by selecting Age 55+ box a new price "Deals Special" in red displayed price which was $200 cheaper then normal. $849 for 13 nights against $1049. Only some cruises are discounted.

No, not true at all. There is a 55+ discount already on the Panama cruise I have booked for next March.

Its often true that the discounts start within a few months of sailing, but they will give you the discount no matter when you booked. I've gotten two discounts in the last two weeks for a cruise in July that that I booked over a year ago and the last was even after final payment due (they credit back to your cc). Just call them (or your TA).

keep an eye out every Tuesday - senior discounts are included (page 3)

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/promowave/RCL.pdf

On the certain selected cruises where RCI offer discounts for the over 55's, what if you are 55, 4 days into the cruise. Would you be allowed the discount or do you have to be 55 at the time of sailing/booking?

No, not true at all. There is a 55+ discount already on the Panama cruise I have booked for next March.

I have found the Senior discount later after I booked my cabin. I too found the Sr Price would of cost me more than when I made the original booking! That was the same as Geojobes was stating. He booked early and when the Sr discount came out, it would of cost more for the cabin with the SR discount, than he originally PAID, even for a lessor cabin category!

Sometimes it doesn't benefit you when you booked early and got a good price!

Even if you book early you can still sometimes get the cheaper senior rate is you qualify I just got $150.00 per person on the Voyager of the Seas as few weeks ago now it has gone up two hundred dollars . So you just have to keep checking the price

love Mo

Archived