Booking flights to New York

goodml

We'll be sailing on the Dawn out of New York in October and flying from Detroit. I've been looking at flights and right now I can save about $70 per person flying non-stop DTW to JFK. Flights are on a CRJ and the times are great.

I'm trying to get an idea of which airport is most convenient when sailing from Manhattan. Is JFK a long way out? If it's going to cost a great deal more to get to the pier from JFK rather than the other airports, then I'd rather spend the extra $$ and land closer. Plus, we're doing the dreaded, flying-in-day-of-cruise:eek: :D thing (lands on a Sunday morning at around 9 am) so I wouldn't want to have a long commute in case our flight is delayed etc.

Which airport would you recommend and feel free to poke holes in my JFK scenario if it doesn't make sense.

We'll be sailing on the Dawn out of New York in October and flying from Detroit. I've been looking at flights and right now I can save about $70 per person flying non-stop DTW to JFK. Flights are on a CRJ and the times are great.

I'm trying to get an idea of which airport is most convenient when sailing from Manhattan. Is JFK a long way out? If it's going to cost a great deal more to get to the pier from JFK rather than the other airports, then I'd rather spend the extra $$ and land closer. Plus, we're doing the dreaded, flying-in-day-of-cruise:eek: :D thing (lands on a Sunday morning at around 9 am) so I wouldn't want to have a long commute in case our flight is delayed etc.

Which airport would you recommend and feel free to poke holes in my JFK scenario if it doesn't make sense.

although JFK is about 20 miles from the cruise terminal, yellow cab fare is set at $45.00 per cab plus tolls and tips. You can also take super shuttle(http://www.supershuttle.com) for about $15.00 per person or you can take an airport bus to the west side port authority bus terminal for about $12.00 and then cab over. You can actual do it for $7.00 per person by taking the airtrain to Jamaica and then a subway to 50th street and eight avenue and then a bus to the cruise terminal. Personally I would take the cab. The closest airport is LGA which is about a $30.00 cab ride from the cruise terminal but has very poor other ways to get into the terminal. LGA is 10 miles from the cruise terminal. Also at about 12 miles is EWR but cabs from there will cost about $70.00 including tip and tolls. They too have a bus to the Port Authority bus terminal and then you can take a cab or there is an airtrain but that is more complicated.

Information on all three airports is available at

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/airports/html/

Archived