Distilleries

It really depends upon where you will be travelling, how you will do your excursions, etc. Are you visiting by car, on a tour, a cruise visiting certain ports, etc.?

However, having travelled what is known as "the Whisky Trail" in Scotland some years ago, I believe the answer to your question is would be that one distillery tour is very much like the next. The method by which whisky is produced hasn't changed much over the centuries and whether it is Scotch or Irish Whisky - you won't learn much more by visiting more than one....

If you have a taste for a certain brand, then that might dictate what you want to visit - as they all seem to have a tasting session after your tour...

Cheers!! :D

It really depends upon where you will be travelling, how you will do your excursions, etc. Are you visiting by car, on a tour, a cruise visiting certain ports, etc.?

However, having travelled what is known as "the Whisky Trail" in Scotland some years ago, I believe the answer to your question is would be that one distillery tour is very much like the next. The method by which whisky is produced hasn't changed much over the centuries and whether it is Scotch or Irish Whisky - you won't learn much more by visiting more than one....

If you have a taste for a certain brand, then that might dictate what you want to visit - as they all seem to have a tasting session after your tour...

Cheers!! :D

Thank you so much. Question answered!!!

Is visiting one cover the essentials of all. Is one better than the others?

Well, it depends. It is true as someone has posted that the basic process is very similar everywhere - produce a low-strength alcoholic drink (not unlike unhopped beer) from malted barley, distill it, then stick it away for a decade or more before bottling & selling it.

That said, there are subtle differences in the exact procedures used in different distilleries. More importantly, perhaps, is that the location & size of the distillery give a different impression. Visiting Ardbeg on the coast of Islay (capacity 1 million litres a year), will probably result in a different experience from visiting Glenfiddich (inland on Speyside, capacity 10 million litres a year). So there are arguments in favour visiting more than one.

Reminds me of a little ditty from years ago:

I know a girl whose name is Hilary,

I took her down to the old distillery,

Now I've ended up in the stocks and pillary

There ain't no justice left.

Ron

Archived