2010 world cruise vs. The World - please help

JTor

We are 2 academics in our early 40's planning a sabbatical year in 2010. We are considering spending part of the time on a ship - we figure we can get some papers written on the sea days, but also have some personal time to rejuvenate. Given the options of a traditional World Cruise (eg. departs in January, goes for 3 months or so - maybe on Cunard or Regent), and spending 2-3 months in a small cabin (can't afford a suite) on The World... can anyone advise which might be a better plan? We're very independent, don't need new people around all the time, or a party lifestyle; but on the other hand, we do enjoy ballroom dancing and fine dining. We LOVE exploring new cities/countries so the idea of spending more than one day in each port is quite appealing. The financial aspect is a concern as this will be a big expense for us (we're academics!:rolleyes: ). Is there anyone out there who's done The World or a world cruise who can help? it's a big decision.

• 2 weeks later...
We are 2 academics in our early 40's planning a sabbatical year in 2010. We are considering spending part of the time on a ship - we figure we can get some papers written on the sea days, but also have some personal time to rejuvenate. Given the options of a traditional World Cruise (eg. departs in January, goes for 3 months or so - maybe on Cunard or Regent), and spending 2-3 months in a small cabin (can't afford a suite) on The World... can anyone advise which might be a better plan? We're very independent, don't need new people around all the time, or a party lifestyle; but on the other hand, we do enjoy ballroom dancing and fine dining. We LOVE exploring new cities/countries so the idea of spending more than one day in each port is quite appealing. The financial aspect is a concern as this will be a big expense for us (we're academics!:rolleyes: ). Is there anyone out there who's done The World or a world cruise who can help? it's a big decision.

I'm sorry nobody replied to you before but I think it's because it is such a hard decision. I don't know what I would prefer. If you take a "regular" cruise line, would you book a balcony or suite? That could make a difference on a long trip like this.

I've never been on The World but from what I read, I think the only thing you would miss would be Ballroom dancing.

I think I would prefer The World but you won't be able to say that you did a World cruise (doing a world cruise just seems like something I MUST do sometimes in my life).

I know I'm not of much help, sorry. No matter what you decide, I'm sure you will have a great voyage!

The "World" is a great ship - food the best of any cruise ship I have been on - Regent, Seabourn, Silversea - no ballroom dancing - no big bands - no shows - very little to do - service outstanding - best looking ship inside I have seen - cabins are super nice. i really like the "World". Sorr I cannot help any more than this.

Thanks Cowchip and jp

It's not important to us to "have done a world cruise". We see this more as an opportunity to explore some far-flung regions of the world in comfort, hopefully while also getting some work done. On a regular world cruise, we'd probably book a balcony but not necessarily a suite (unless the price was really good). I'm thinking it might be easier to work on The World, where perhaps other people on board are also working or have solitary pursuits such as hobbies... maybe it would be less of a "celebration" atmosphere. We would miss dancing but with the ship in port for a few days maybe we could tango in Argentina or samba in Rio, instead! On the other hand, we might get very lonely if we are joining a community with established social links... whereas on a world cruise there is probably more of a window for making new friends. Anyone else have thoughts?

• 5 weeks later...

Why don't you look carefully at the 2010 World Cruise on Holland America's Amsterdam? I think it is the right size -- both in terms of the ship and the number of passengers, and the itinerary isn't bad either!

We are going on the World for the 4th time in January, so obviously we love it. I think if you pick a great itinerary there is no better way to see the 'world" Rooms are tricky, the suites are great, but they get expensive. I have been able to get some deals if you are interested.

• 1 month later...

Why not take a look at SEMESTER at SEA. We know folks who have been and are doing that right now on a trip that is underway from Halifax NS to Norway to St Petersburg, to Copenhagen, to Belgium, to Naples, then to the Eastern Med (either Turkey or Egypt) and maybe Athens returning finally to Norfolk, VA. A few days in each port with supporting lectures (free if not for credit). They have a category of passengers called Lifetime Learners. Everything I've heard tells me that might be right up your alley without the expense of a major cruise line or the World.

Bob

Archived