Impact of Azamara on Celebrity

Sky Sweet

Do you think Azamara has had an impact on Celebrity?

I personally think it has. At one time Celebrity was considered to be a step above Royal Caribbean, and this was reflected in a number of different ways, including higher prices. Now, with the exception of Royal Caribbean's older ships, Celebrity usually has the lowest pricing of the three for comparable itineraries.

In my opinion, the target demographic for Azamara is similar to what it was for Celebrity at one time, and Celebrity has become a cruise line in search of an identity.

I dunno; I tend to think of today's Celebrity as being a more sophisticated - and not necessarily higher-priced - Royal Caribbean while Azamara is closer to the pre-RCI Celebrity of yesteryear. Azamara doesn't really have an "identity" to speak of yet, either.

For the moment, Azamara has stolen me away from Celebrity. The new X ships are too big to tempt me, they are reducing the Century class by at least one ship, and they don't seem to be interested in keeping the Millennium class ships in immaculate condition any more.

So we're giving the small ship experience a second try. We enjoyed the cruise to Bermuda last year, although that wasn't a "typical" Azamara experience. We're hoping we will like Quest in the Med even more.

Lisa

Do you think Azamara has had an impact on Celebrity?

I personally think it has. At one time Celebrity was considered to be a step above Royal Caribbean, and this was reflected in a number of different ways, including higher prices. Now, with the exception of Royal Caribbean's older ships, Celebrity usually has the lowest pricing of the three for comparable itineraries.

In my opinion, the target demographic for Azamara is similar to what it was for Celebrity at one time, and Celebrity has become a cruise line in search of an identity.

Hi Sky Sweet !

You and I often agree on many things. I feel this is an interesting question. As both experiences are quite a bit different, I'm not sure if Azamara has had any large effect on Celebrity. The one thing I wonder about, is if Azamara is taking away business from Celebrity, as many of Azamara's clientele are past Celebrity passengers. Even if some business is being lost at Celebrity, they are always generating new passengers. Also, the money is all going to the same parent company, so it shouldnt have any negative effects, especially as Cruising is very strong right now.

It seems to me that Celebrity has thought this out over the longer term, as it appears there is a big change in what type of passenger Celebrity may be looking for. Several years ago, I felt that Celebrity catered to the ages 40-80 (and up) group. Now, with the Solstice class on the Horizon, it is pretty clear that the new ships are looking for a lower demographic. To me, it seems Celebrity is looking for the Royal Caribbean type of customer, who desires a more upscale Cruise vacation.

Another thing to consider, is that the Solstice Class may not be appealing to some Seniors, as it may be hard for them to navigate larger ships. I know my parents (who are in their early 80's) are not overly thrilled that Celebrity is moving to all larger ships, and getting rid of the smaller ones. Azamara might get more of our business over the next few years.

This is why Azamara may be the perfect fit for those who do not want larger ships, and who seek a more upscale experience. I know at first, many of us wondered why the need to split Azamara into a separate line. As a year has passed, and with the changes going on at Celebrity, I strongly feel that Celebrity made the right decision, and that Azamara should be on its own.

What I would like the most, is to hear what plans Azamara has to add more ships to their fleet. When I was on Quest in October, I was told that 2 newbuilds were going to be announced "shortly". Now, it seems that may not be the case. I hope that Azamara will find a way to add another ship or 2 (even if not newbuilds) to their fleet. It should be very interesting to see what happens.

Another thing to consider, is that the Solstice Class may not be appealing to some Seniors, as it may be hard for them to navigate larger ships. I know my parents (who are in their early 80's) are not overly thrilled that Celebrity is moving to all larger ships, and getting rid of the smaller ones. Azamara might get more of our business over the next few years.

And you don't have to be a Senior to not want to cruise on a small city with 4500 of your new best friends!:) I like the exclusivity and the more intimate environment of a smaller ship.

Lisa

It is not the size of the ship so much for us, it is the atmosphere. Our one cruise on Celebrity was disappointing. There is a feeling of snobville and too much emphasis on dressing up all the time. We were very happy with the casual cruising on Oceania and are very happy to see RCCL come up with the Azamara brand to compete with them. We are looking forward to our first cruise on Azamara next year and hope that they provide the same atmosphere as Oceania.

And you don't have to be a Senior to not want to cruise on a small city with 4500 of your new best friends!:) I like the exclusivity and the more intimate environment of a smaller ship.

Lisa

Hi Lisa !

I agree. I am sure there are many, other than Seniors who may not love the megaships. I am willing to try the Solstice Class, and I believe the S-Class will be a huge success. However, for us.... bigger isnt always better.

I have a feeling we will be spending more time on Azamara, especially if Celebrity eventually says goodbye to Mercury and Century. It will all depend on Azamara's itneraries though.

We are seasoned RCI cruisers and are "skipping" Celebrity to go straight to Azamara. I was lucky enough to tour the Oceania Regatta and fell in love with her, so I'm eagerly anticipating our first Azamara cruise on the Journey Panama Canal transit in December.

We sailed on the Mariner of the Seas in March and I spent more time in my cabin than I ever have. There was something about all those people that drove me to it. Now that RCI is investing in Behemoth of the Seas (or, as DH likes to call the Genesis class, Blunder of the Seas), we will cruise less frequently on them and see what other offerings are out there.

I met you on the last Oceania cruise on the Regatta transatlantic, and I just sailed on the Journey, you will love it! It is much the same atmosphere as Oceania and even more friendly if possible.

I am glad to hear that. The only thing we did not like about Oceania was the wheelchair accessible cabins. They only had 3 interior ones. We have booked a cat 2A on the Journey for the trans Atlantic in Dec of 09. We got spoiled by Royal Caribbean when we got an upgrade to a balcony cabin on our 3rd cruise and have never gone back. The other thing we like about Azamara is that they provide accessible transfers from and to the ship. This is a great boon in non US ports.

Maybe we will meet up again on Azamara.

We are sailing on Azamara Journey in September. 14-night Holyland. Is anyone else going? We would love to hear from you. My email address is Patricia14287@gmail.com

Go to the Roll Call forum listed at the top of the page...all sorts of good ideas are discussed on the roll calls...look for your ship...then for your sailing:) You can talk about tours etc which isn't always allowed on this regular forum...plus only you on your sailing are actually interested in your ports etc....(Well maybe others would like to look in occasionally if they've got the same itinerary) You don't have to tie up your email with all the posts you can get there!!!

I am glad to hear that. The only thing we did not like about Oceania was the wheelchair accessible cabins. They only had 3 interior ones. We have booked a cat 2A on the Journey for the trans Atlantic in Dec of 09. We got spoiled by Royal Caribbean when we got an upgrade to a balcony cabin on our 3rd cruise and have never gone back. The other thing we like about Azamara is that they provide accessible transfers from and to the ship. This is a great boon in non US ports.

Maybe we will meet up again on Azamara.

Azamara has also made 4 (I believe )Accessible cabins w /nice wide (not deep) balconies think on deck 6, about 1 1/2 reg cabins wide...think they might be size of the SS. I need a handicapped Bath but no wheelchair...lucked into the aft 7212 on the Millennium...hope I get to keep it...but so long as they don't put safety bars in reg cabins I am not safe or comfortable in a reg restroom!

We've been mostly on Celebrity, but also on Royal Caribbean and the Marco Polo. In the last 6 weeks, have been on the Azamara Journey (18 days repo) and the Century (14 days transAtlantic).

OK, we qualify as elder statespersons-- and we loved the Journey. Nothing wrong with the Century, but the atmosphere was just enough different to make us grab a fall TA when it came up at a decent price. (And we are already on a Sep TA with the Constellation).

Yep, the Concierge Lounge on RCL is neat. And you might see someone you've met before. Heck, on our TA there were more Diamonds than there were passengers on the Journey. And the same was true of the Century.

The itinerary will be the most important, and the price will count, but overall, all things considered, we'll likely be more inclined to go Azamara in the future.

Archived