Food off the ship at US ports?

I also like if I can walk past a grocery store or farmers market to check that out. That is just a trade curiosity for me. Have mercy we are boring people.

Awww, don't put yourself down like that! I learned long ago that the real culture of a place is in the grocery store. That is where the local residents go on a regular basis to get what is truly unique to that place. I go to grocery stores whenever I can reasonably do so, if for no other reason (sometimes I do need to get stuff!) than to just walk up and down the aisles to see what there is to buy.

My first real overseas trip was a week in Barbados, and I came back with several pounds of "raw" sugar, which as far as I could tell is regular sugar, but just not fully processed to remove the natural molasses. It wasn't "brown sugar", but definitely not the same white sugar that I was used to. Made very interesting twists on some of my usual baked goods.

Grocery stores are well worth a visit if you have the time.

Theron

International has nothing to do with it. Try bringing food from Nevada back to California (both part of the United State - last time I checked). You can't do it. California has border guards for expressly this purpose (since they never ask for proof of citizenship).

This is a safety issue regarding bringing something in that is not naturally there to begin with. Such a thing would have no natural predators, the native plants and animals would have no natural defense and such a alien bug or whatever can devastate the native plants and animals.

California is different in a lot of ways. I know I can drive any food from Virginia or Maryland to Maine and noone is going to stop me and check anything.

As far as I know, California and Hawaii (Alaska, maybe technically, but I've never actually encountered it) are the only states that inspect people travelling from state to state, and there are only about 3 states I haven't gotten to yet.

I think that in this case, they're just trying to keep the rules consistent. Sometimes it's easier to make a blanket statement than to try to sort out a dozen 'what if' situations. But I do know that I could bring whatever food I wanted to if I drove, which is why I asked.

International has nothing to do with it. Try bringing food from Nevada back to California (both part of the United State - last time I checked). You can't do it. California has border guards for expressly this purpose (since they never ask for proof of citizenship).

Those are agricultural check points and not border patrol. Manned by the department of ag. What they are looking of are things brought from a back yard or roadside stand. Stuff from a store is safe.

Honestly I think the ships in CA load local, so their product is pretty safe. They may pick up fresh stuff on the cruise where there might be import problems in other ports.

Mexico also has Agricultural Inspection places. I went through one on a tour.

On the blood sugar thing, I have managed for over 30 years to control my low blood sugar with diet. I have never needed to take food off the ship. I know once off the ship what to look for first for just in case.

My first real overseas trip was a week in Barbados, and I came back with several pounds of "raw" sugar, which as far as I could tell is regular sugar, but just not fully processed to remove the natural molasses. It wasn't "brown sugar", but definitely not the same white sugar that I was used to. Made very interesting twists on some of my usual baked goods.

Nowadays they sell this at many grocery stores throughout the U.S.-- including Whole Foods, for one.

i always take off food(allot) and never had any problems doing so. its not that big off a deal they just want you to spend more money in there town, that what its about.

Ignorant comments like this are really unworthy of comment but I fear that some may actually take it to heart. Perhaps the poster will be willing to pay their fine should anyone be caught and fined for following her advice.:rolleyes:

Talking of Ca. a few years back I went from Florida to Californa via Colorodo. Had to stop at Donner Pass for Ag inpection. The inspector was funny he looked at our plate on the car and joked I hope the only oranges you are bringing into the state are the ones on the plate. Had us open the trunk and did a quick at all our luggage and laughed. Wished us a happy stay and gave a bunch of information and maps of the state very nice way welcoming us to the state.

On our Mariner cruise we had a Cal. Dept of inspector in our cc group. She carries a badge and a gun. So they are serious about crop contamiation.

Just to show a little bit about madamcruisequeen, this is what she responded about a) a report about obnoxius drunks at 3am and b) a question about port and starboard:eek:

sounds like my group but I don't remember being on the Extasy. i know my sister and her husband always get into a huge fight every cruise we go on.

Port side is the side with land when you are docked and starboard is the other side

I just don´t know why reading her posts and looking at the pic in her signature reminds me of the Flodder Family (not sure if the films about the Flodders are known in the US though).

Just to show a little bit about madamcruisequeen, this is what she responded about ... a question about port and starboard:eek:

Port side is the side with land when you are docked and starboard is the other side

Without going into a lot of detail regarding port and starboard (this terminology comes from the Vikings), if one uses the method mentioned above for determining port from starboard, how does one determine port from starboard while the ship is under way?

Without going into a lot of detail regarding port and starboard (this terminology comes from the Vikings), if one uses the method mentioned above for determining port from starboard, how does one determine port from starboard while the ship is under way?

Under the criteria of the post mentioned ... not sure. :rolleyes:

I usually face the bow (that's the front or pointy end of the ship) and put my hands out in front of me. The hand that makes the 'L' is on the port side and other is starboard. It seems to work whether the ship is docked or not. ;)

Oh, and lest anyone be concerned that the OP (me) would take that kind of advice ... the whole point was to save 15 minutes while not losing an hour filling out USDA paperwork. :cool:

Oh, and lest anyone be concerned that the OP (me) would take that kind of advice ... the whole point was to save 15 minutes while not losing an hour filling out USDA paperwork. :cool:

Why not bring things like protien bars, there are many that taste nice ( not like the Frankenfoods from years ago) and are not big so do not take up much room. Since I eat low carb, I always pack a few.

Why not bring things like protien bars, there are many that taste nice ( not like the Frankenfoods from years ago) and are not big so do not take up much room. Since I eat low carb, I always pack a few.

These work for me, dh insists on 'real food' :rolleyes: . We've got to go through most of town on our way out from the bike shop, I'm sure we'll come across a convenience store or something where we can grab some sandwiches to go.

Under the criteria of the post mentioned ... not sure. :rolleyes:

I usually face the bow (that's the front or pointy end of the ship) and put my hands out in front of me. The hand that makes the 'L' is on the port side and other is starboard. It seems to work whether the ship is docked or not. ;)

LOL maybe they change depending on the direction of the ship....lol

What happens when you tender???????????:confused:

Seriously....I always remember Port and left both have 4 letters

Just to show a little bit about madamcruisequeen, this is what she responded about a) a report about obnoxius drunks at 3am and b) a question about port and starboard:eek:

I just don´t know why reading her posts and looking at the pic in her signature reminds me of the Flodder Family (not sure if the films about the Flodders are known in the US though).

If you read her posts more closely you will see that most of her comments are tongue in cheek! Some are funny!

Yes, packaged foods are okay.

These work for me, dh insists on 'real food' :rolleyes: . We've got to go through most of town on our way out from the bike shop, I'm sure we'll come across a convenience store or something where we can grab some sandwiches to go.

Jerin,

I am with your husband on "real food", but honestly I think a power bar is preferable over some sandwiches to go I have eaten over the years.;)

If you read her posts more closely you will see that most of her comments are tongue in cheek! Some are funny!

You are only seeing the posts that haven't been deleted. Many of her posts have been downright rude not to mention full of misinformation.

Oh and has she ever corrected the info in her signature - which is a fake? I can't tell because I have her on ignore now.

Reading a lot of her posts, including many that have been deleted I doubt the tongue in cheek part. I don´t think they are funny but for sure laughable.;)

To me they just prove that she´s..... oops wait a minute I can´t say that here:p

Reading a lot of her posts, including many that have been deleted I doubt the tongue in cheek part. I don´t think they are funny but for sure laughable.;)

To me they just prove that she´s..... oops wait a minute I can´t say that here:p

I know.... they don't allow you to say NUTS here! LOL

No I didn't see the deleted ones. But they are funny in a "funny" sort of way...

I do hope that was a joke. If it wasn't it was extremely bad advice. Not allowing food off the ship is NOT an RCI policy. It is a US federal law, and there are extremely good reasons for it. You should do a little research before answering a question you know absolutely nothing about.

Edit: And feel free to call this response a flame if you wish, but it doesn't make your advice any better.

The poster made a good point. Has anyone ever seen bags being searched that were carried off a ship? Doesn't matter whose law it is, I have never seen it enforced. Now, calm down, I'm not endorsing carrying food off, but really, how is it stopped? The line to get off the ship is usually looonnngggg, and they just hustle people off as fast as possible.

The poster made a good point. Has anyone ever seen bags being searched that were carried off a ship? Doesn't matter whose law it is, I have never seen it enforced. Now, calm down, I'm not endorsing carrying food off, but really, how is it stopped? The line to get off the ship is usually looonnngggg, and they just hustle people off as fast as possible.

Our bags were checked in Bermuda. We never take beverages or food off the ship so it didn't bother us at all.

###

Our bags were checked in Bermuda. We never take beverages or food off the ship so it didn't bother us at all.

###

We had a similar experience when we were in Bermuda on the Jewel of the Seas a few years back. Local authorities in some other ports post similar notices forbidding passengers from bringing food off the ship. The fact that not everyone is stopped and searched is really irrelevant. Customs doesn't physically search everyone's baggage when you arrive on an airplane but they can and do sometimes exercise their right to inspect your bags. Hardly worth the hassle and possible fine to try to bring restricted items off the ship.:rolleyes:

Has anyone ever seen bags being searched that were carried off a ship? Doesn't matter whose law it is, I have never seen it enforced. Now, calm down, I'm not endorsing carrying food off, but really, how is it stopped? The line to get off the ship is usually looonnngggg, and they just hustle people off as fast as possible.

I've seen bags being searched as I left the ship in Costa Rica and the Panama Canal, others have seen it in ports in the Mexican Riviera. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Archived