Need quick info on London hotels and Priceline

Hello all my Cruise Critic friends. I am going to start the bidding process for a London Hotel prior to my August cruise. I have visited the Bidding for Travel web site and find it ...well let's say, not very helpful, too many hoops to jump through. I am unfortunetly a bit too in-patient. Anyways, will anyone who is familiar with the London hotel scene tell me the areas on Priceline that are worth bidding for? I am interested in the areas that are closest to the Eye, Thames, Buckingham Palace...you know, the major sites. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, Julie

Priceline is quite good for Central London as location doesn't really matter whichever district you bid for. Whichever hotel you stay its going to be within easy walking distance of an Underground Station.

The US concept of being 'downtown' doesn't really translate effectively. The main visitor attractions are spread out, so you'll need to use the Underground anyway.

Best district for price is normally Kensington and the chances are you'll end up at the Hilton Olympia or Hilton Kensington. These are a bit awkward compared to 'normal' hotels but no big hassle.

Bid on a 4 star, though the hotel you'll probably get, like the Hilton Olympia is only 4 star on paper as it has the services to warrant this, but is probably in reality a 3 star in terms of most laymens verdict.

The only districts to avoid are London Dockland, Finsbury & Islington and Hammersmith.

August in terms of 4 star hotels in London is fairly quiet as its the main UK holiday month, so the business and conference trade is fairly non existent.

You should pick up a perfectly good hotel without bidding for around $200 or less at this time with taxes etc.

Its also worth checking out the Travelodge UK web site for saver rates. No point in bidding $120 plus 17% taxes plus Priceline admin charges when you can get a room at the Travelodge for $50 sometimes.

I used Priceline for my hotel in London. I booked about 3 months ago and I am staying at the Hilton Kensington/Olympia prior to my cruise next week.. My bid was accepted for USD $80.00 ...so I am very happy with the price. The hotel is right off of a station and there is also a bus stop in front of the hotel. From everything I have heard, it is very easy to get anywhere you want to go from this hotel.....and since the exchange rate on the USD is awful right now - $80.00 for the night is excellent!

I can't help you with Priceline. I booked one night post-cruise at the City Inn Westminster directly with the hotel. I think it came to around $200. Its a nice, modern hotel in a very good location.

I bid at the end of September for early October stay in London. I got the Hilton Kensington (4 star) for $120. I probably could have gotten it cheaper, but I was running out of time since I was leaving for France in two days and I wanted to have a confirmed reservation before I left the US for my trip.

The hotel was clean and a short walk to the tube. It was very easy getting around London from that location even though it wasn't in the heart of the touristy areas.

I've stayed at a lot of Hilton hotels. This one was very similar to every other Hilton to give you an idea of the room type, quality of service, amenities, etc. I ended up checking in early (around 12 noon) and it wasn't a problem. If you are in their rewards program (I am "gold"), be sure to show them your card. I didn't receive points for my stay because it was booked on priceline, but I did get an upgraded room, access to the executive lounge, and free breakfast. You're not supposed to get these perks when you book through Priceline but I've had a lot of luck just by presenting my membership card with a smile :)

Archived