Best Hawaii Restaurants

Suebee

Hello The Honolulu Advertiser put out its special restaurant 'magazine' today which announces the Ilima Awards (or readers favorite restaurants). While the special insert is only in the papers for those whom receive home delivery, you can see the highlights of the picks on the Advertisers website:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Oct/06/il/il30a.html

'ILIMA AWARDS

Readers pick favorite restaurants

By Wanda A. Adams

Advertiser Food Editor

Every year, we ask readers to vote for their favorite restaurants in the 'Ilima Awards balloting. This year, as in a number of years past, Alan Wong's was the selection for Best Restaurant.

Wong, as well as the other award winners, will be feted Monday evening at a sold-out gala benefiting Diamond Head Theatre.

See our guide to Hawai'i's Best Restaurants for more detail on these winners. The guide is inside the newspaper for those who receive home delivery of the paper on O'ahu.

Here's the list:

• Hawai'i's Best Restaurant: Alan Wong's Restaurant.

• Best New Restaurant 2003-2004: Cheesecake Factory.

• Best Fine-Dining Restaurants: Ruth's Chris Steak House, Hy's Steakhouse, John Dominis.

• Best Family Restaurants: Zippy's, Big City Diner, Anna Miller's 24-Hour Restaurant.

• Best for Pasta: Auntie Pasto's.

• Best Bakery: Liliha Bakery & Coffee Shop.

• Best Drinks and Pupu: Ryan's Grill.

• Best Coffee Bar: Starbucks.

• Best Vegetarian: Down to Earth Deli.

• Best Plate Lunch: L & L Drive-Inn.

• Best Central O'ahu Restaurant: Ruby Tuesday.

• Best Windward O'ahu Restaurant: Lucy's Grill & Bar.

• Best North Shore Restaurant: Haleiwa Joe's Seafood Grill, Hale'iwa.

• Best Leeward O'ahu Restaurant: Bravo Restaurant.

• Best East O'ahu Restaurant: Roy's Restaurant, Hawai'i Kai.

• Best Southeast Asian: Keo's in Waikiki.

• Best Italian Restaurant: Assaggio. (Editor's note: Readers did not specify which outlet, so the award goes to the entire group, which includes restaurants at Ala Moana, in Mililani, in Kailua and in Hawai'i Kai.)

• Best Japanese: Kyo-Ya Restaurant.

• Best French restaurant: La Mer, Halekulani hotel.

• Best Chinese: Hee Hing Restaurant.

• Best Korean: Sorabol Restaurant.

• Best Restaurant, Kaua'i: Hamura Saimin Stand.

• Best Restaurant, Maui County: Longhi's.

• Best Restaurant, Big Island: Merriman's.

• Best Hotel Restaurant, O'ahu: Hoku's, Kahala Mandarin Oriental Hawaii hotel.

• Best Hotel Restaurant, Neighbor Islands: Kona Beach Restaurant, King Kamehameha Kona Beach Hotel.

• Critics' choice restaurants: Chosen from among restaurants we've reviewed and written about in the past year — BluWater Grill, 12th Ave. Grill, Hilo Bay Café and Chef Mavro.

I am putting this out here because there are always questions about which restaurants in Hawaii are the 'best'. It is such a subjective topic....but at least this list will get you going on picking some great places to dine while here. I can agree with many of the choices.

I agree with a LOT of these choices. Though I disagree about Bravo for Best Leeward Oahu restaurant (rather mediocre Italian food - only plus that it has is that it's cheap). And I think Ruby Tuesday wins for Best Central Oahu restaurant only because there's a scarcity of restaurants in Central Oahu. Assagio in Mililani is much better though overall.

Thanks for posting that, Suebee!

Spleen

Some good choices there but I'd have a grain or two of salt reserved for any list that shows Starbuck's as the best coffee bar. What you're seeing isn't necessarily always the "best;" in many cases it's merely name recognition or most heavily advertised.

Some good choices there but I'd have a grain or two of salt reserved for any list that shows Starbuck's as the best coffee bar. What you're seeing isn't necessarily always the "best;" in many cases it's merely name recognition or most heavily advertised.

Very true...and considering the LARGE (sarcastic) quantities of coffee houses here.... ;) LOL.

But I was surprised to see Starbucks...that just means that Starbucks is more accessible, more of a chain and more heavily trafficed than coffee shops that I would prefer.

Best Hotel Restaurant, O'ahu: Hoku's, Kahala Mandarin Oriental Hawaii hotel
We just returned from a stay at the Kahala Mandarin hotel. We were too tired to go off of the premises to eat one night so we made reservations at Hoku's. We were a little worried about eating in a hotel restaurant. We need not be worried as the food and service were fabulous!;)

Sea Island Lady, Welcome back and I hope you post a review of your cruise for those of us going soon! We'll also be staying at the Kahala Mandarin so I was wondering what you thought about the hotel. I was hoping to have dinner at the beach cabanas one night - they look so romantic. Do you know anything about their menu? Thanks for any help!:)

The Outback Steakhouse at the Ilikai in Waikiki is one of their best locations anywhere. Unlike a lot of the Waikiki restaruants, this Outback caters to the locals, so the food is usually outstanding with a good presentation. Even offer a couple of fresh fish specials each night.

L&L offers an ono (great) Chicken Katsu.

Tony Roma's in Kahala is very good. The one in Waikiki is the worst I've ever been to.

FANC6 - check out this old post regarding Cabanas in the Kahala Mandarin ... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=1532087&postcount=9

And everybody talks about the chicken katsu at L&L which I consider just average. For the good stuff, you need to go to Grace's (all the locals know what I'm talking about). :)

Spleen

Thanks Spleen for the info on the Cabanas and the tip about the appetizers. ;)

Sea Island Lady, we booked the hotel through Celebrity and unfortunately they haven't assigned us rooms yet(not until a few weeks before). I hope we get a nice room. Did you have a courtyard room? How was your room? Jean

FANC6: We also have just returned from the same cruise as Sea Island Lady. We spent 3 days post cruise at the Kahala Mandarin (excellent recommendation Spleen and MANY thanks! ;)) This is an excellent hotel, great staff and superior setting. They also offer a free shuttle service to two local malls until early evenings (schedule available at the bell stand).

We did use Spleen's tip on the Cabanas. Excellent choice, food and ambiance. It is a much different experience during the day, although enjoyable for lunch as well (much different menu during the day, as well as an entirely different management and service team). You will need to reserve earily (we reserved approx. 2 weeks in advance) if you are after one of the "beachside cabanas" (they are great). All cabanas overlook the beach, but very few are beachside. Appetizers made for a great meal! :cool:

Enjoy your cruise and the Kahala Mandarin (we certainly did!) :D

Bruce

Which 2 malls did the Kahala offer shuttles to? I figure Kahala Mall is one ... but the other, Ala Moana?

Spleen

Spleen: You have it correct. :) We did not use the shuttle to the Kahala Mall (approx a 4-5 minute ride), but we did take advantage of the Ala Moana shuttle (approx a 20 minute ride). Allowed us to checkout this area a little.

Bruce

Spleen: It does open the dinning options, but in order to take advantage you would have to have an early dinner and reserved seats on the last shuttle (hotel states that the evening shuttles are very full, thus they strongly recommend you reserve seats on the shuttle [time specific] you think you will want to return on). Unfortunately, we did not keep a copy of the schedule, but as memory serves me (sometimes suspect), the last shuttle leaves Ala Moana around 8:30pm most days (subject to change based upon the day - specifically weekends).

Ahibunny: It is funny you mention weddings, we saw at least 1 wedding per day while we were there! Fabulous grounds for weddings in our humble opinions!! :D What a great place to return to each year! ;)

Bruce

1 wedding a day is an understatement! We saw at least 6 in our two day stay. We finally realized that they were not weddings, but photography sessions. We couldn't figure out why someone would be having their wedding at 9:00 in the morning and then come to the Kahala for pictures and the reception. We finally found the answer when we saw an advertisement for a Photographer across the hall from the "famous guest" wall. All her photo's were of wedding parties at the Kahala. Beautiful setting, but all those Honolulu brides will have the same photo's. :rolleyes:

We thought it would be unique for our daughter to have her wedding in Hawaii and have her photography session at the Kahala. Her photographs would be unique in our hometown.

Sea Island Lady is right, 1 wedding a day is a slow day for the Kahala! That would be wonderful to have your daughter have wedding pictures there. A lot of people also take picures at the Grand Wailea on Maui because of their beautiful grounds.

Archived