Norwegian Majesty question

Kittykath

I've read that Fall 2008 will be the last sailing of the Majesty and I'm interested in cruising to Bermuda from Phila. on the Majesty. Can anyone tell me what's NOT to like about the ship? I have heard that the food isn't up to par and wonder about that! Thanks, guys. Kittykath

I've read that Fall 2008 will be the last sailing of the Majesty and I'm interested in cruising to Bermuda from Phila. on the Majesty. Can anyone tell me what's NOT to like about the ship? I have heard that the food isn't up to par and wonder about that! Thanks, guys. Kittykath

The Majesty, although having already been sold to Louis Cruise Lines with the Dream, doesn't leave NCL's fleet until fall 2009. It's the Dream that leaves NCL's fleet this fall.

Food is very subjected, everyone has a different opinion. I thought the food tasted great on my last Majesty cruise.

Menus are the same across the fleet, so food should be pretty much the same regardless of the ship.

We love the Majesty for what it is : a smaller, more intimate ship (thus, in my opinion, more personal service) without rocks walls, waterslides, miniature golf and other distractions. If you want a more "traditional" cruising experience without the current trend for putting more and more "stuff' onboard, then the Majesty make be the perfect fit!

Food is very subjected, everyone has a different opinion. I thought the food tasted great on my last Majesty cruise.

Main dining room food was fine on our two Majesty cruises in 2005 and 2006. Some people expect filet mignon or lobster every night with their $80/night stateroom, and if they don't get it the food is "dreadful." Others want nothing but chops or roasts, and anything with a sauce brings complaints. Still others don't eat seafood and lamb and whatever and then complain there's no choice.

Take it all with large grains of salt. The food in main dining rooms on all mass-market cruise lines is comparable in quality. If you don't see something that grabs you on the menu, ask about the entrees that are "always available."

Can anyone tell me what's NOT to like about the ship?

There is nothing NOT to like. It has a small ship atmosphere and if you feel you need bells and whistles and ferris wheels on the top deck, maybe you wouldn't like it. She's very quaint and has the best crew at sea. And out of all the Bermuda itineraries, you can't beat her sailing of docking in St. George's for 3 days.

As most have said, the food menu is the same on all ships and there seems to be some improvements in that department with 2.0 enhancements. I've always enjoyed the food on every cruise ship I've been on, including the Majesty. No matter what cruise line or ship you research, you'll find many who post it was the worst, the best, and everything in between.

Just off Majesty today - and the food was just fine. No complaints. Having been on several cruises before, I know what type of cruise ship food appeals to me, and I ordered pretty successfully.

There are always many selections to choose from, so it is certainly possible to choose something you will not like.

For me, any chilled soup is a sure-fire winner!

Food and entertainment was YUCKY 2 summers ago

Have not been back on NCL since

Bermuda is great

Am going on Gem in fall will give NCL a 2nd chance

If it's REAL cheap OK

Michele

Was on the NCL Crown (NOT the Majesty) September 2006 to Bermuda, and found the food very lacking, even though I'm not a fussy eater. Other than that, the ship was very nice and Bermuda was fabulous!

Ken

• 5 weeks later...

Steve - sorry I never replied to this message.. I actually lost track of my own stuff (thread? I don't know the drill here---a little computer-challenged!!) .. anyway, I've been reading your messages and the others' who are going from Philly to Bermuda I believe Labor day week or the week after - sure do wish DH and I were traveling with YOUR group - you guys all sound fun and it's always a blast to be with a fun group -- I especially like your comment about hangin' at Tobacco Bay with Coronas ... now you're talking "VACATION"!!! Anyway, I won't go on ... I have an actual question for you -- obviously there must be parking at or near the port for the cruise and can you tell me where that is and the cost for the week? We're from Scranton but don't get to Phila as often as we'd like... last cruise we took was out of NY (NCL Spirit) I sure do love the convenience of NOT HAVING TO FLY!!! Thanks... Kathy

I sure do love the convenience of NOT HAVING TO FLY!!! Thanks... Kathy

Especially when the airlines are making it so inconvenient for passengers! Paying for all luggage, etc. I joked to my mother that the next time I flew I would just layer all my clothes on my body and wear them! And now I just read some are going to be charging $2.00 for soda, water, juice and coffee! Airline coffee will do in a pinch but I certainly won't be paying $2.00 for it! Sorry for getting off track, it just gets to me lately!

I can't answer your question about parking and such specifically, but wanted to say that you may be able to find the answer on the East Coast Departures board. You can get to that from the main page and that might have your answers.:)

Especially when the airlines are making it so inconvenient for passengers! Paying for all luggage, etc.

It really is inconvenient. Rather than charging for bags, why not make it simple and just raise the fares?

I ask you: if it costs $15 to check a bag, and a fare is $300, is there anyone who would not rather pay $315 in fare and have the bag checked free? Is that extra $15 in fare going to make any difference to anyone who can afford to spend $300?

It's all just a really stupid marketing game that I do not see the reason for. Just charge us what it costs, and we will pay it if we can. Make it simple!

obviously there must be parking at or near the port for the cruise and can you tell me where that is and the cost for the week? We're from Scranton but don't get to Phila as often as we'd like... last cruise we took was out of NY (NCL Spirit) I sure do love the convenience of NOT HAVING TO FLY!!! Thanks... Kathy

We went out of Phila. last year. Parking at the port is, or was, $70 cash for the week. Ample parking with shuttle to the actual terminal. We were in a lot about 2 blocks away and walked...just as fast or faster than the shuttle.

Thanks for the port parking info .. we'll probably walk, too - my new thing is to NOT overpack so our suitcases should roll easily! And speaking of not overpacking, in reply to the several messages about paying for checked bags at the airport - I'M CARRYING ON these days when I fly!! It's not just the extra $$, it's that I really do pack less. I think that's kinda nice about the freestyle cruising now, too - we don't have to pack as many clothes ... as much as I enjoyed dressing up, and as much as I like having a set dinner nightly, I sure admit it's less of a hassle now... I have clear memories of dashing back to the ship from an excursion to get ready (fussy-dressy-ready, not just presentable!!!) and make it to dinner on time. It's better this way.. and my husband, who wears a tie all week, loves not having to wear one every night on vacation! Are most of you who replied to me going on the Majesty in the near future? Thanks again -- Kathy

KittyKath

I have driving directions to the port if you want but they will probably be included in your documents. The Northeast Extension down to the Blue Route is probably the easiest from your area.

Bags are tagged at one stop as soon as you enter the port grounds. You're directed into lines, you stop right in front of the terminal and they take your bags then it's off to park the car. Very easy and went quickly.

Steve - sorry I never replied to this message.. I actually lost track of my own stuff (thread? I don't know the drill here---a little computer-challenged!!) ..

To find threads you have started or replied to just click on User CP (top left) and it will show the thread if it is active. Or you can click your user name and click on find all posts by you.

We're traveling on the Majesty on 7/26/08. I will tell you that ANY trip old ship or new will be only as good as you allow it to be. If you choose to focus on the wear-n-tear rather than the friendly smiles and service, then you're going to report that Majesty is an old worn out ship... If you decide that a bad vacation day is better than any day at work, then you are going to have a wonderful time.

Ginger

HELP!!!

We could use some advice...Never sailed NCL Thinking of driving to philly or Balt to sail around labor day.....

1 Do they have lounge bands? style of music?

2.what really is the dress code,

3. no formal nights?

4. Any other differences between Carnival and NCL Majesty?

5. Should we expect lots of kids before labor day as with otherlines?

6. Who's got the hottest group going around that time frame:D ? Roll CallS?

Thanks,

Mike

1 Do they have lounge bands? style of music?

They'll probably have the typical pool band and when I went a few years ago they had a nice guitar group of 2 people in the Rendevous lounge in the evening. Just check the freestyle daily for what's going on and when.

2.what really is the dress code,

Resort casual is the 'technical' name for it. For men that means along the lines of khaki's, linen, casual type pants and collored shirts, think golf type polo's, for dinners. And for women it can mean casual summery skirts, capri's and nice tops. I like to say it's between 'jeans and shorts' and 'dressy'.

3. no formal nights?

No formal nights. I think it's now designated as 'Dress up or not' nights. If you'd like to get all fancied up and get pictures done, have at it. If not, you won't be out of place. All a personal choice.

4. Any other differences between Carnival and NCL Majesty?

The major difference will be the dining style. No set times for dinner. Also the ship. The Majesty is not a good representation of NCL ships as it's the oldest and smallest in the fleet. So if you've never been on NCL don't look at the Majesty as what NCL is all about. It wasn't specifically built for freestyle so doesn't have all the dining options the newer and larger ships have. But in my opinion it's got the best itinerary for Bermuda.

5. Should we expect lots of kids before labor day as with otherlines?

Hard to say. The Bermuda sailings tend to be high in price because of the destination and that's for all sailings to Bermuda, not just the Majesty. So maybe that would have an impact on how many kids would be on the sailing.

6. Who's got the hottest group going around that time frame:D ? Roll CallS?

The only thing I can suggest is to check the Roll Calls and find your sailing.

Have a great time!

Archived