Need advice on which cruiseline to choose

My sister did NCL last year and has cruised several lines as well as myself. What she didn't like was the anytime dining experience. It was more casual and laid back. She enjoys the assigned seating so they can meet new people at their dinner table. So, if you like this aspect and dressing up a couple of nights then, you might rethink it. If you just want to enjoy each others company and don't want dinner companions and more casual atmosphere then you may enjoy it. She said the food was about like others. She says Celeberty has the best food!

We LOVED the dining on NCL - we were there for our 10th anniversary, and just wanted to be together (leaving our 5 kids at home). We also did the specialty restaurants, and just liked not having to be on a schedule. We did meet many other people in the karaoke bar, and met with them every night, but liked having dinner to ourselves (and 1 dinner with a couple we met on CC, who we actually shared a car with to the dock).

My sister did NCL last year and has cruised several lines as well as myself. What she didn't like was the anytime dining experience. It was more casual and laid back. She enjoys the assigned seating so they can meet new people at their dinner table. So, if you like this aspect and dressing up a couple of nights then, you might rethink it. If you just want to enjoy each others company and don't want dinner companions and more casual atmosphere then you may enjoy it. She said the food was about like others. She says Celeberty has the best food!

You can dress up every night on NCL if you wish. It's your choice. You can also request to sit with other passengers. If you enjoy meeting other people, request to sit with others every night and you will meet lots of new people. :D

You can dress up every night on NCL if you wish. It's your choice. You can also request to sit with other passengers. If you enjoy meeting other people, request to sit with others every night and you will meet lots of new people. :D

Most people that enjoy dressing up also enjoy the ambiance of being with others that also enjoy dressing up. That is why NCL does not work for many.

I would highly recommend HAL's Westerdam. The ship does a lovely itinerary from Ft. Lauderdale with stops at Half Moon Cay (their private island), Aruba, and Curacao. We've done it two years in a row (Feb. 2007 and April 2008) and loved it both times. The weather, since you are going further south into the caribbean, is very warm, whereas some of the other caribbean islands closer to Florida may not be as warm. And the Westerdam is a fabulous ship. I would suggest avoiding March because of spring break, as well as President's week in February. I would go either very early February or late February. We love that HAL is not the "old" crowd it used to be (although, to be honest, the demographics will be older than Carnival). But it is more like old style cruising. Very limited public announcements, they come around and ring dinner bells when dinner is being seated instead of announcing it over a loudspeaker, etc. And I love that all their cabins have bathtubs, even the inside cabins. But I would recommend a balcony cabin on Deck 4. Those are Cat. VD and among the least expensive balcony cabins, but they have the largest balconies vs. the other standard balcony cabins.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jo-Ann

Jo -Ann, we loved the Westerdam. Now we took the Grand Cayman cruise, so no Aruba or Curaco. we loved the hsip and would consider the Aruba/curucao run but we liked the Zuiderdam ittnerary for next winter better. she is Westerdam's sister ship and the Zuiderdam does a partial Pamana Canal transit which is what we hope to do next.

My DH and our 2 DD's are going on a 4 day cruise to the bahamas in July. The girls have never been, so this will be quite an experience for them. My DH and I want to take a cruise in January or March for our anniversary without our DD's. I would really like advice on which cruise would be best. I am mid 40's, he is mid 50's. Neither of us are partiers, we tend to like the less rowdy set. Classy is fine, but we also enjoy laid back, but without the kid energy, etc. We want to go to the Caribbean, and length doesn't matter, what crowd (based on boat) is more important. I would rather take a longer cruise (more expensive) if that meant we would be on a boat more geared to our temper than a shorter one (cheaper) that would be less to our liking. Thanks for any info you can give.

I just thought we needed to repost your original question since people keep recomending Disney for you to go on with your children.

You did say you wanted to go on a cruise for your anniversary minus the kids.

Archived