We're Not Cruising......

sail7seas

For the first time in a very long time, our upcoming vacation is not going to include a cruise.

For many years, long before we started cruising, we took many resort vacations all over the Caribbean and domestically. We traveled many, many times by land in Europe. Many domestic trips to typical tourist places such as Las Vegas, San Francisco, LA etc

Then we tried a cruise and knew right away we loved that sort of vacation. Since then, our other forms of travel slowly became less frequent and gradually we found all of our vacations were cruises.

We had to cancel a much anticipated April cruise on Maasdam due to illness as well as the wonderful trip to Rotterdam to see Eurodam Dedicated, sail her three day Prelude Cruise and her ten day Maiden Voyage. Again, I haven't had quite long enough healing before attempting transatlantic travel and strenous European touring.

I've been cleared to travel to a domestic vacation for a stay at a resort such as we used to go to for our vacations in years past. It has been a loooong time. We are so curious as to how we will view the experience of vacationing something different than a cruise.

Wouldn't it be interesting if we find that while cruising has changed, resorts have too. Maybe we'll find we missed these resorts more than we knew?

We are very much looking forward to 'doing something different'.

Let you know our observations.

(But lest anyone be confused, we're also HUGELY looking forward to our annual back-to-backs on Maasdam doing Canada/New England in August. :D )

Our sitution is very similar to yours. My husband had serious heart surgery in Oct. and is recovering very, very slowly. Flying anywhere is not an option.

Before his surgery, to cheer ourselves up we scoured the internet planning our late spring cruise. We choose the Crystal Serenity sailing 6/13 but were to cautious to deposit.

This year we are driving to a beach vacation and I'm sure we will enjoy it.

My best wishes to you for a speedy recovery and enjoy your resort holiday.

best wishes

Abby

We were sort of slow to discover cruising too, Sail, and did land based vacations for our first 35 years. We started with motels and slowly moved up to resorts and condos. Now that the kids are grown and have families of their own, we like to vacation WITH them once every two years or so. We almost always end up at condos or a villa - either US or Caribbean. We have a wonderful time and I am amazed at how land based accomodations have improved since those early years. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Have a WONDERFUL trip, and be sure to keep us all posted!

I think you may find that resort vacations can still fill a nice vacation niche. We are also looking ahead and trying to figure out what our travel plans will look like. Perhaps we'll be staying "home" more, at least until the dollar gains some of its strength back.

Travel Abby........ Happy to hear your DH is recovering. Everyone recovers at their own pace and it can take time. How lucky for us they are able to do these amazing surgeries. Thanks for your good wishes and I certainly return them to you.

Sail.....happy to hear that you've been cleared to vacation domestically, & wishing you good health, & in time, many more cruises ahead for you:)

Lynne:)

Thank you so much, Lynne. We'll be crossing Maasdam's gangway in August (if all goes as planned :) ) and we'll be happy to do be back aboard. I think it is going to be a real change for us to vacation other than on a ship. We have done pre and post cruise stays at various resorts/hotels but a cruise was always included.

This time the resort is the whole vacation! I'm excited to be going and it'll be interesting to compare how well we likie making dinner reservations every night and deciding where to go; being in the same place every day without our moving hotel; not really meeting new people as at hotels it's not as easy to meet new people as on a ship........ All the differences between a land and a sea vacation.

If anyone is interested in our observations, I'd enjoy doing a daily comparison kind of thing. Something like "Today it cost us $30 for breakfast" On the ship, it would have been included. :D

Donna and Jim..... I think we're going to like it a lot! I know I'm thrilled to be able to go. :)

Sail, I am so pleased to hear that you are up to traveling even a little bit. I know that some recoveries take longer than others and alas with a few years behind us it seems to take longer than it used to.

I sincerely hope you tell us all about the differences and the similiarities and your thoughts on both. Good health and a complete recovery to you soon.

Interesting post. I have been very fortunate to have traveled extensively for many years, both cruises and land vacations. And for many years I was passionate about cruising and my DH loved it as well.

After about two years of vacations that were mostly cruises, I took him to an all inclusive resort, his first. He just loved it and I was reminded of how much I enjoyed it as well. So these days, we try to visit Europe once a year by land as that is our absolute favorite vacation. And, our second choice is either 4-5 days in a top notch adult only all inclusive or a long weekend in one of our favorite cities (NYC, San Francisco, Chicago).

The value for us in choosing an all inclusive goes far beyond the fact that we are not paying extra for so many things. We love the luxury at many of these properties, the large rooms in even the least expensive categories, the diverse choice of restaurants all included in the price, the lack of a schedule of any sort except for dinner reservations at those restaurants that require them and the many options for activities all available without pre-planning and at no additonal cost. We also really enjoy the adult only concept for vacations and these resorts are about the only places left that guarantee a kid free vacation.

We do have plans to take a Regent cruise next year as I really enjoy the line and want DH to have that experience but for the most part our plans for the next two years revolve around Europe and all inclusive resorts. I do not see that changing.

IMO, the all inclusive concept has changed for the better, offering a much higher quality product at the top end than in the past. Unfortunately, again IMO and IME, cruising has done the opposite, except at the very top end of the spectrum.

Good luck with it. We've never liked resort vacations since we aren't "lie on the beach" people. We do like land-based vacations, to (usually) large cities to do cultural (museums, music, etc.) things.

Variety IS the spice of life, no sense getting stuck in a rut. But, someone, I don't think you'll find resorts to be better than cruising...:)

Sail - In the past I have read your posts with interest and respect as they always contain helpful and pertinent information. I have not been on the boards really for a couple of years and I was sorry to read of ill-health. I am sending you every good wish for a speedy recovery to your former self and am so glad that you are looking forward to your vacation. Blessings to you.

We've taken many land vacations of different types...some to beach resorts, some for sightseeing, some in Europe and some in this country. Each type of vacation has its pluses and minuses...but the one plus is that you are away from your home, you get to relax(if that's what you chose to do) eat out, order in, etc. It's a break from the everyday routine, whatever that routine might be. Any vacation sounds good to my way of thinking. Sail, it will be very interesting to have you compare a cruise to a land vacation. At least you won't have to worry about getting seasick!:rolleyes:

We continue to hit Sanibel Island twice a year or so and have been doing so for more than 20 years.

While I love the place and the endless beach walking, it does not compare to being on a ship.

Some people cruise because it's cheaper than staying at a resort. Other people, like me, cruise because of the sea and tomorrow is another day and port.

sail7seas- I am greatly sad to hear of your health as of late. I am praying for your speedy recovery. I was fortunate to read many of your posts before sailing the Maasdam in April. I also travel both Resorts and Cruises and enjoy them equally. Wishing you the best, my dear.

You folks are fabulous and I thank you. I'm doing great; making a wonderful recovery; back to most of my usual activities. We're just using good sense , listening to the doctors to not overdo too fast. Way too big a price to pay by rushing things.

April was too soon for us to cruise. I wasn't up to it and Europe/transatlantic travel is too strenuous at the moment.

Kakalina, Hyperplaner, and Sue's Mom ...thank you for your lovely messages. Welcome back, Sue's Mom. Good to see you posting.

I really didn't post this as something about health. I really am eager to compare experience of land vacation vs. sea. It's been so long since we've made a resort our destination.

I wonder if we'll get annoyed with picking where to eat each night and having to call or ask concierge to call for booking. Catching a taxi or renting a car. Will we wish we were in a different port each morning? Will we miss meeting new folks though I'm sure we'll meet some around a pool/in a lounge.

It's going to be interesting but fun in any case, I'm sure.

Good luck with it. We've never liked resort vacations since we aren't "lie on the beach" people. We do like land-based vacations, to (usually) large cities to do cultural (museums, music, etc.) things.

Variety IS the spice of life, no sense getting stuck in a rut. But, someone, I don't think you'll find resorts to be better than cruising...:)

We are not beach people either, but note that not all resorts are on a beach. Some are "ski Resorts" and others during the summer offer hiking and other activities. I have a sister who does not like to fly so has been to a lot of resorts up and down the East Coast. Every year or two we have a family get-together at a resort with the same main dining room and table for dinner each night (or at least my parents request the same "round" table).

I would love to hear which ones others enjoy.

Sail - I'm very sorry to learn that your health is not allowing you to go overseas for the long-awaited Eurodam ceremonies and inaugural cruises, and that you had to cancel your April Maasdam cruise as well. No price can be placed on good health and you're, of course, wise to take it easy until your doctor feels it's safe for you to venture forth on the more extensive trips.

I know you're looking forward to your August b2b's aboard your beloved Maasdam, and send best wishes for good health.

If anyone is interested in our observations, I'd enjoy doing a daily comparison kind of thing. Something like "Today it cost us $30 for breakfast" On the ship, it would have been included. :D

Donna and Jim..... I think we're going to like it a lot! I know I'm thrilled to be able to go. :)

Sails- So glad you are getting an on-land vacation! :D

I look forward to your observations. I just know that when we do land vacations we tend to bleed money :eek: , but that may have something to do with the teen boys! ;)

Have a fabulous and resting time. It will do you both a world of good!! :D

Sail. many years ago, when it was really nice, we stayed at Grand CAse Resort and Beach Club in St. Martin for over a week. DH didn't want to have to make any decisions, so in the middle of all those wonderful restaurant choices, he asked me to pick and make reservations for each night. They were all wonderful places, mostly right at the water's edge, so it was easy.

One of the best resorts we ever stayed at was on on Anquilla. It was called Cap Julica. It was destroyed by a hurricane some years back, but then rebuilt. No problems for dinner choices there since we ate in the resorts restaurant with the ocean lapping at our feet every night.

My husband and I have been going to a resort (of sorts) in Hot Springs, AR for the past 28 years. We were going so much we finally decided to buy a condo there two years ago. Now we can go whenever we want. It's only 4 hours from our front door and is a perfect weekend getaway or to stay longer, whichever we have time for. We eat out some, we cook in some. It's been perfect for us.

This past weekend, though, we were at a resort hotel in Hollywood, FL with my husband's company. I got very tired of paying close to $100 for dinner and around $50 for lunch just for the two of us. The day we left for home, I told my husband that I was really anxious for our cruise next month where we will have all the amenities of a resort, but with meals provided. I really hope cruising becomes a big part of our lives in the next few years. Time will tell.

For the first time in a very long time, our upcoming vacation is not going to include a cruise.

[sNIP]

We are very much looking forward to 'doing something different'.

Let you know our observations.

Sail, for how much you and your DH travel, I would think doing some trips that are land-based would be wonderful. I only wish I could do a bit of both. Sadly, though, my vacation time/funds are rather limited, so I have to concentrate on what I love most.

But, as they say ... variety is the spice of life. So you and your DH have a blast on your land-based vacation. Betcha in some ways you'll enjoy it just as much, if not more so, than a cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sail,

Very glad that you are recovering well and are able to travel albeit not a cruise.

I think you will enjoy the resort you have chosen. I have done several,as well as other land based vacations are they are fun. My DW and I right now are where you and DH were years back, We are discovering we enjoy cruiseing more than anything else and are gearing our vacations to that.

But we still enjoy the land based ones too.

I understand your apprehension, You have taken so many cruises on HAL for so many years, that the ships (especially your Maasdam) are like a second home. You have made many personal friendships with staff and crew that its a comfortable familiar feeling that enhances the trip for you.

You won't have that at this resort. The manager of the resort and the Maitre'D and the waiters at the restaurants won't know you from Adam. But that doesn't mean they will not be wonderful and the food and accomodations excellent. .It will just be a different experience.

Go with an open mind and enjoy. No it won't be teh HAL experience you have come to love, but it still can be a wonderful time

ENJOY:)

Did I miss something? I was curious to see which land-based resort you had chosen, and I didn't find it in the thread? I have always enjoyed your posts, Sail, and was sorry to hear that you were in ill health. Can you share with us where your next vacation is to be?

Paula

You most probably will enjoy your next vacation. It will be planned thoughtfully and meticulously, with very little - if anything - left to chance. You know exactly what you want and will go for it - with your usual enthusiasm. Obviously, it is not cruising and therefore it will be different but I, for one, would be really surprised if you did not enjoy yourselves.

Archived