Panama Canal itineraries

kruzseeka

I've been looking at a couple of different itineraries on the Oceana for the Panama Canal & Caribbean and need some serious help!

We've not been to the Caribbean before so any of the islands will be new to us. Our main reason for wanting to go is to 'do' the Panama Canal so we have a completely open mind about the other destinations. We're happy to spend some time on the beach but mainly like to explore whatever each destination has to offer. I've done a bit of reading around and am still very confused. Could anyone please help with opinions on the two itineraries?

1. Barbados, Grenada, Margarita Island, (have heard a few negative things about this one - justified?), Bonaire, Aruba, Panama Canal, Peurto Quetzal, Huatulco, Acapulco

2. Acapulco, San Juan del Sur, Puntarenas, Balboa, Panama Canal, Curacao, Antigua, St Lucia, St Vincent, Barbados.

Thanks in anticipation for any help and I'd also welcome any recommendations on the best attractions/excursions at the various ports of call.

Kruzseeka, my wife and I 'did' the Panama Canal on Arcadia in December 2005, it was Arcadia's maiden transit and our Honeymoon! It was fantastic.

We've cruised the Caribbean a few times now and visited most of the islands. If you are looking at a good mixture of exploring and spending some time on the beach then I would opt for the second intinerary as the first one, IMHO, is more beach based.

A good idea would be to look at the excursions P&O offer to give you a flavour of what's available, I'm not suggesting that you should pay P&O's prices as most of what you see advertised is available locally at a cheaper price.

The main thing to remember about the Carribean is the the $US is king! So no need to have lots of different currency with you.

I hope this helps? :)

When travelling from Barbados to Acapulco you gain time, so some mornings you will get an extra hour in bed! From Acapulco to Barbados you will loose time. Another consideration is the flight times. When travelling east to west the flight time is always longer across the Atlantic. Acapulco is a very long flight with a possible refuelling stop. Would you rather have a very long flight at the begining of your holiday or at the end. We have chosen the Barbados - Acapulco itinerary as it goes to Grenda which is one of my favourites and we have also managed to book premium seats which will hopefully make the long flight bearable.

Hi

Having down flights both ways Acapulco to barbados and the other way.I would always choose to fly to Acapulco as it is a night flight you arrive in the morning have time to have a sleep and are refreshed for your cruise.

Acapulco airport isn,t the best in the world and IMHO would rather arrive than depart from it.

The most important part of the cruise is the transit through the canal which is amazing .We wished we had had an aft balcony ,the decks can get crowded.

There is a lot of poverty around panama ,not as glamorous as the carribean .any other questions just ask

Enjoy your cruise which ever one you choose

Regards Kay:)

The information about the different flight times flying east to west and vice versa, airports and time zones is something I'd never even thought about! All food for thought!

I'm checking out excursions as suggested to see if some islands appeal more than others - I'm sure we'd enjoy whichever - but you know what it's like once you've been given a choice!!!

Anyway, thanks to you all for your input - it's much appreciated.

I would agree with Tin Tub about the islands in the second itinerary and indeed have visited a lot of the islands on both, not only on cruises.

We agree so much that we have already booked the second itinerary leaving on 29th Nov. Apart from the itinerary we would rather have the longer flight at the beginning of the trip than at the end.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you book.

Susan

Archived