Latest Norway pics from May 8

Zimomiller

It's kind of ironic - on our Majesty cruise this past week, there was a special presentation on the history of the Norway. I did not attend, so I can't tell you more than the write-up in the freestyle daily said. However, I sort of doubt it contained pictures from Alang.

She was our first ship too. We had an OS near the disco. Went to bed and could barely hear the bass as we were lulled to sleep. We were actually finalizing our plans to go on her again when the boiler blew up. It's s shame to see her being scrapped.

So terribly sad to see the photos...

My first cruise was also on the Norway. Luckily, I got to sail on her 3 more times - always in cabin F062.

No other ship will ever compare in my opinion. The Norway was just special!

How sad.

She was my son's first ship. He sailed on her for the better part of 3 years, for her Farewell TA cruise and 9/11. He sailed TA back after the decision was made to bring her back to the Caribbean after 9/11. He was there during the explosion and until the day before she was towed to Germany. It was a difficult time for the crew members on board. His 21st birthday fell after the explosion and before she was towed so he was able to celebrate his 21 birthday in the owners suite. The crew needed a reason to celebrate and I guess he had a heck of a party!

I sailed on her twice and was to go on her again the week following the explosion. She was a Grand Lady.

I spent several days on the Jade with Peter the owner of that website. He visited the ship yard and just had incredible stories about their business practices. Everyone should check out his dvd "on the road to alang" its very interesting.

Maybe we should get a "remember the SS Norway" group cruise going. Or she was "my first cruise" cruise!:) Wonder how many people have cruised on her!? Retiredonthesea

She was my first cruise ship... but not as the Norway. I sailed on her when she was the SS France.

France0025.jpg.6c87c5013eccb51dffa6a968d11f254d.jpg

France0028.jpg.4e999a3cd0ddeb65ccfc3f67bc1c2410.jpg

France0035.jpg.a1e00dfb7a2e174e65dd8fc8a1dda88d.jpg

She was my first cruise ship... but not as the Norway. I sailed on her when she was the SS France.

WOW!! I bet you have some great stories to tell by the list of your cruises. You remind me of my husbands Aunt who cruised around the world---only her and her husband cruised on a freighter. The stories she could tell, just amazing!

That must have been something to cruise Norway as the SS France!:)

Retiredonthesea

Archived