Athens & Santorini - port days switched

Ardy53

I posted this (slightly off-topic) under another thread, but never received an answer.

A poster indicated that the port days in Athens & Santorini were flipped to be at each when it was less crowded(presumably with less ships in port), and also indicated that Celebrity did this most of the summer, but didn't ever make it formal until each new cruise began.

Can anyone tell me if this still happens with Athens and Santorini??

Surely it must play havoc with arrangements that people have made before the time??

Roy&Val

I think I was the poster that originally made that comment. It was summer 2006 that it happened. The best advice I can give you - both ports are fairly easy to do on your own and don't really require booking any tours. If you're not comfortable touring alone, it might be safe to book those excursions through Celebrity to avoid having to make other arrangements at the last minute in case they do switch days.

I don't know the link, but I know there are sites where you can look up what ships are scheduled to be in ports on certain days. Maybe you can find that info and try to figure out if it seems likely that they'll switch. The goal was to avoid a big crowd in Santorini since getting up the cable car (or donkeys) is hard when it's overcrowded. Had we not switched days, we would have been one of 11 cruise ships at Santorini. Instead, we were the only ship there on the day we went.

Hopefully someone can provide feedback on the 2007 cruise season or the projected 2008 tours. Both ports are amazing - you will have a blast!

Archived