Buying pop in ports

santacap

OK, read all the booze threads pre embarkation, and water / pop while boarding in your checked luggage.

But what about buying a 2L bottle / case of pop while you're in port. Will the guys take the bottles from you?

curious minds:)

OK, read all the booze threads pre embarkation, and water / pop while boarding in your checked luggage.

But what about buying a 2L bottle / case of pop while you're in port. Will the guys take the bottles from you?

We bought 2 six packs of soda in Grand Cayman last week, $5 a six pack. You can take them right on board. Good luck and enjoy your cruise:)

It's so funny because I was just talking with my kids about how, being from the Chicago area, I always called any "soda" ...pop...and how after I moved from the midwest to Vermont that everytime I asked where the pop machine was, people always asked me what I was talking about...now, after living in the "soda" area of the country for almost 20 yrs...it brings back great memories of growing up in the Midwest and "pop" country!!:)

It's a Michigan thing too! But, than we are next door!

It's also a northeastern Ohio word also. I'm originally from Youngstown, Ohio and we called it pop. I now live in Atlanta and it's soda.

didnt know that, thought it was just up in the Great white north... there is that whole restroom / washroom thing (i think)

well then... I do believe we are the only ones with ketchup chips though:p

I drove tractor trailers cross country for a year or so and I had to get use to people calling soda, pop. In the Northeast it's soda or we call it by it's brand name, Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, etc. I found my self calling it pop more and more when when I returned home. Most parts of the country soda is called pop.

You know, in Texas, it's all called "coke". Anything can be a coke...Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, Sprite, anything that comes from a coke machine is a coke!:confused:

It's like that Southern joke. Do you want a Coke? Yeah! What Kind? Pepsi!

Getting the "pop" on board is no problem. What can be the problem is enjoying it after you open it. Coke (specifically) has different recipes around the world to satisfy different tastes. Some recipes taste a lot like Dr pepper. The Coke I bought in Barbados was un-drinkable. It was horrible. We threw out five 20 oz. bottles. I am a die-hard Cokaholic. Dont mess with my pop !!!! If I cant have the cans that are made in my home town I dont drink it. It is just not the same. I would think all recipes in the US are the same so it must be the local water that makes it taste different.

So beware of buying pop in other countries.

Getting the "pop" on board is no problem. What can be the problem is enjoying it after you open it. Coke (specifically) has different recipes around the world to satisfy different tastes. Some recipes taste a lot like Dr pepper. The Coke I bought in Barbados was un-drinkable. It was horrible. We threw out five 20 oz. bottles. I am a die-hard Cokaholic. Dont mess with my pop !!!! If I cant have the cans that are made in my home town I dont drink it. It is just not the same. I would think all recipes in the US are the same so it must be the local water that makes it taste different.

So beware of buying pop in other countries.

OMG! That is so true!! I have got burned more than once on nasty tasting coke.

I now either bring it on board when I first board. Or buy in a port I know has coke as we know it. St. Thomas and St. Maarten are two ports I know that is ok.

It's also a northeastern Ohio word also. I'm originally from Youngstown, Ohio and we called it pop. I now live in Atlanta and it's soda.

Or coke! That always made me laugh down there...what's a Sprite? Coke! I grew up in WI and IL, and it was always "pop". I switched I "soda" when I lived in Atlanta and I haven't gone back now that I'm back in IL.

Wow the things that we all think about. I was thinking the same thing. I ordered a Diet Pepsi on two different flights and both tasted different. One thing that I love to buy when I am in the US is Cherry Coke or Wild Cherry Pepsi. We dont get that often here, we used to get it sometimes but they have not had it here for about 2 years now. So if anyone out there wants to smuggle some across the border or mail me some let me know :D

Archived