Liberty of Seas sailing May 3, 2008

Just got back tonight from my recent Western sailing on the Liberty. First time on this size of ship. Very very nice. All of the staff was very nice and overly helpful. I've cruised so much I don't always participate in some of the events. But, some comments. Had a JS and access to the Diamond Lounge. Very nice, open glass for viewing outside, had a private outside place to sit if you wanted overlooking the H2O Zone swimming pool. Staff of four and all very helpfull and friendly. I wondered if I would like it as much as the CL, but with the outside seating and more inside seating at least 3 to 4 times the size.

Did the Zip at Labadee, FANTASTIC. First time at MoBay, just took a taxi to town and had a laid back day at Jimmy Buffets.

On Grand Cayman did the Barrier Reef/Stingray City excusion early in the morning. Very nice, snorkeling there wasn't much fish, but the reef was nice and of course always a thrill with the stingrays.

Went back to town to buy some t shirts and low and behold, another Jimmy Buffets right beside Hard Rock. The place was rockin, more family oriented than Ocho Rhios and more seating. (Sounds like I'm a Jimmy Buffet groupie), not really but cruise so much and have done so many of the excurisions, usually just look for a place to hang out, unless get a urge to try somthing again. Cozumel was laid back, ate at Senior Frogs, bought some gifts, did the 4 x4 Rhino (mini jeeps) then back on the ship.

Shows were great, food was nice. Like having 3 pools, the regular one, H2O and the Solarium. But I will tell you, with this size of ship, on seas days, ALL chairs were hard to come by. Was a little dissapointed on the the dessets, expecially on the Captain's Night, not that much to choose from.

Used the Vallet Checkout, costs was $ 20/person and wasn't charged by Delta for the 2nd bag of $ 25 if I would have taken my bags on to the airport. RCCL says they had a contract with the Airlines so as of right now, you don't have to pay the $25 for the 2nd bag if you use RCCL Vallet service for $20. Alot of people using the Express Walkout department with your bags. Seems like the wave (no pun intended) of the future.

Guess that's all for now, been up since 5 am and just got home, need to unpack, and hit the sack. Really pleased with the Liberty.

Dave

Thanks from another KY -- we are from Richmond and I have a question. Did you drive or fly to Miami and if you flew, from where? We have a choice of Lexington (preferred) L'ville or Cinci. Also, where did you stay in Miami and would you recommend it?

Jakie

Just to clarify........ the outside seating for the diamond lounge overlooks the basketball court and rock wall, not the H2O zone.

You're corrrect. Was heading to bed when I wrote that, I could see the basketball from inside as they were shooting 3 pointers. Very few sat outside as it was very windy.

Dave

Thanks from another KY -- we are from Richmond and I have a question. Did you drive or fly to Miami and if you flew, from where? We have a choice of Lexington (preferred) L'ville or Cinci. Also, where did you stay in Miami and would you recommend it?

Jakie

I flew down to Miami the day of the sailing. But I live down in Harlan in southeast Kentucky so I flew out of Knoxville. There's an Airport Hilton right on the Airport site and you can leave your car there free if you stay one night. Drove to Knoxville Friday night and stayed there, then flew out the next morning. In the fall when I go to UK football games (I'm a UK graduate) and do a Sunday to Sunday cruise, I fly out of Lexington. When I have gone down to Miami a day early, usually when I sail in December, to avoid a snow storm, I've stayed at the Marriott down at Bayside and there's also a Holiday Inn.

Unless you get a good price break, I've would choose Lex to fly out of Lex. Like the smaller airports for parking and getting back and forth to the terminal.

Have fun.

Dave

Archived